Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JimmyHook

macrumors 6502a
Apr 7, 2015
If you're needing to sync data across devices, then a state file in iCloud Drive isn't the best idea, sure you can do it.

But that's besides the point - the entitlement isn't tied to the App Store, it's only that, an entitlement.
One that they will definitely only make available for their App Store if forced

ct2k7

macrumors G3
Aug 29, 2008
London
Why would they? They don’t want 3rd party stores, why would they make it easy? Nobody has given them a good reason to do so.
Terminology needs to be exact here - they already allow 3rd party apps to use iCloud Drive.

Applications not distributed on the App Store can still use iCloud Drive.

Reactions: dk001

JimmyHook

macrumors 6502a
Apr 7, 2015
Side note: forcing Apple to have 3rd party app stores does NOT level any playing field. Apple invented their device and App Store, purely their intellectual property. Did you all notice the weird numbers in the draft? It’s because they did carve outs for European businesses that might have been affected by the law. That’s not a fair market. At a certain point, they’ll stop providing services to Europe if pushed to far.

JimmyHook

macrumors 6502a
Apr 7, 2015
Terminology needs to be exact here - they already allow 3rd party apps to use iCloud Drive.

Applications not distributed on the App Store can still use iCloud Drive.
Yes, I’m talking about 3rd party apps distributed on 3rd party stores. No way those will be allowed to use iCloud for anything at all

ct2k7

macrumors G3
Aug 29, 2008
London
Yes, I’m talking about 3rd party apps distributed on 3rd party stores. No way those will be allowed to use iCloud for anything at all
I'm saying that there already exists a method of distribution outside the App Store which can already use iCloud for syncing.

jlc1978

macrumors 603
Aug 14, 2009
If it's a toggle to allow additional sideloading - note that you can side load today, then what matter is it?

It's not as if it's threatening the system.
Sure. A toggle. Not a default or only option. That way users have a choice.

I have no problem with side loading, IIRC enterprise users already have the capability. Back in the jailbreaking heyday there were apps that added features, many of which are now baked in to the OS. It also was pretty easy to pirate software, something that opening up side loading may become more prevalent in iOS; especially since side loading would now be available to the casual user.

ct2k7

macrumors G3
Aug 29, 2008
London
Sure. A toggle. Not a default or only option. That way users have a choice.

I have no problem with side loading, IIRC enterprise users already have the capability. Back in the jailbreaking heyday there were apps that added features, many of which are now baked in to the OS. It also was pretty easy to pirate software, something that opening up side loading may become more prevalent in iOS; especially since side loading would now be available to the casual user.

I think a toggle is the most realistic option (one I would be in favour of). This would be the same approach that macOS has.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
If it's a toggle to allow additional sideloading - note that you can side load today, then what matter is it?

It's not as if it's threatening the system.
Sideloading today is possible via a Mac and the I thought the app was live for certain time period. That scenario is not the same as having multiple unregulated app stores, where malware or crapware can hide and apple cannot stop it.

Reactions: SFjohn

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009
Not claiming you will be forced. Just provide the option to keep the phone locked down like today. What's wrong with that as it is more choice than less. If you want it open, you can do it; if you don't you can open it up and sideload, etc.. No one would force anyone to do anything on either side of the argument.
Yes, that’s basically exactly my point.

Reactions: dk001

SFjohn

macrumors 68020
Sep 8, 2016
Governments around the world want to know everything about you and track you everywhere you go, this is the excuse they use to achieve that exact goal. Zero personal privacy, good times up ahead… 🤢

Sophisticatednut

macrumors 68020
May 2, 2021
Scandinavia
You have a very naïve and simplistic view of how the EU actually works and where the power of the EU actually lies. But I won't bore you with the details. I don't think you really care. Enjoy your "democracy".
No you simply don’t know how eu works.
Eu parliament= democratically elected proportionally.
President of EU commission= elected by parliament.
Commission body employed by the president= Unanimous approval in parliament is needed.
Eu council= Democratically elected heads of state of every member
Council of Eu= democratically elected MP of every member state

SFjohn

macrumors 68020
Sep 8, 2016
Yes, that’s basically exactly my point.
That doesn’t sound like what is being described in this proposed law. Can you please provide an example, from the text of this proposed law, as to how Apple can continue it’s business as is: for those of us who want to choose that?

Last edited:

Sophisticatednut

macrumors 68020
May 2, 2021
Scandinavia
That’s what I thought. Apple needs to give them the proverbial finger. I have no idea how things work over there but it seems the only way the eu makes money is fining rich tech companies.
Never will understand how a country can force a company to change its business model? Once again if I wanted to side load or a more unsecured smartphone I would be all over Samsung and android. I don’t nor do I need that. Apple, give them their blackmail money of $5,000,000,000 that seems to shut them up for a bit.
Nobody is forcing them, they are free to leave. Just as USA force eu companies to follow local state laws.
How about all the other non-EU citizens of the world who don't like the way this is going? Do we get a say?
Nope, you don’t get a say as “you” don’t have a right to vote
BTW, I live in a democracy too. Every four years, we get to choose between one really unlikeable party, and a second slightly less unlikeable party. But hey, it could be a LOT worse.
Sand to hear, every 5 years we get to vote for whatever party we want without fear of spoiling the vote or ability to vote tactically. And have major coalition where different parties actually communicate and agree to work together instead of gridlocking as the USA.
How about before we do the above government force the telecom companies to lower their rates, provide better service, eliminate all sorts of nasty fees and make it easier to move from one telecom provider to another. There is much that needs addressing rather than legislation that forced apple to open up iMessage.
Well we are in luck.
Telecom companies are already forced to provide better services. Provider locked phones are banned, and you can switch carrier just as easy as buying a drink at the store, transparent pricing that banns hidden fees and roaming is banned and texting and calling is have the same price as your domestic market etc etc
Sort of. IIRC, they still can cap data usage when roaming and charge for excess data based on your plan; in addition you can't have say a German number and use it mostly in Portugal for calls and SMS. Which doesn't make sense. For example, if you have a Vodaphone account in Germany, why should it be an issue if I live in Portugal but want a German number? Does Vodaphone let you do that with no caps, ignoring where you are physically located?
No, not at all, they can’t charge you for excessive data usage. Data is treated as your domestic plan. If you run out you need to purchase more or change your data plan.
You can get a German number living in Portugal, but you oftentimes need a German personal number to register for the service unless you purchase a prepaid German card And just fills it up.

But if you already have a German Vodaphone number you can use it anywhere in EU as normal and keep your German number

huge_apple_fangirl

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2019
Wait until the EU realizes that the big winner of forcing iMessage and WhatsApp to interoperate with others isn't some European startup, but Google...

What's hilarious about this bill is that the goal, which is to try and hurt American companies in the hopes of allowing European companies to compete, won't even work.

Alternative App Store winners: Microsoft, Meta, Amazon
Messaging Interoperability winners: Google
Search engine alternatives winners: Microsoft

DMA will just make everything crappier and shift power from some Big Tech companies to others. I guess instead of being pushed around by Apple, Spotify can be pushed around by Meta and Microsoft. Is that a "win"?

sideshowuniqueuser

macrumors 68030
Mar 20, 2016
You have a very naïve and simplistic view of how the EU actually works and where the power of the EU actually lies. But I won't bore you with the details. I don't think you really care. Enjoy your "democracy".
Yeah yeah, I know, the Illuminati are the people that really control the EU.

But in seriousness, yeah, I get it that the rich and powerful basically control the world, regardless of democracy, due to owning most of the media, and thus the ability to control the messaging that most people are bombarded with. However, when they go too far, or if something annoys enough people, democracy works.

Sophisticatednut

macrumors 68020
May 2, 2021
Scandinavia
As a consumer I’d like to see Honda mandated to support Porsche engines for free. I’m sure a consumer poll on that would should what the consumer really wants as well. I’d like to see interoperability that is not legislated. Again vote with your $$$.
They are already free to do so. Porsche is just banned from preventing Honda from supporting their engines or cars.
Yes, I was trying to prompt you to go on :)
Ah I se xD. Well safe harbor was thrown out of court a few years ago, and last year the privacy shield was also thrown out of court for the same reason, and EU and USA just agreed to a new data sharing plan, and Austria have said they will challenge this new proposal immediately in the Supreme Court on the basis of consumer privacy again ?

and soon the DSA is proposing platforms TOS can’t ban legal speech and must have clear guidelines of what is allowed and not instead of being vague like today
I would be very leery of a government mandated encryption standard as whose to say tehre isn't a back door for tehir purpose?
It’s specifically to protect user privacy and liberty. It’s aimed at limiting governments explicitly USA. Minimum standard are just that. The baseline
I wouldn't bet on that.
Well you would be surprised
Wait until the EU realizes that the big winner of forcing iMessage and WhatsApp to interoperate with others isn't some European startup, but Google...

What's hilarious about this bill is that the goal, which is to try and hurt American companies in the hopes of allowing European companies to compete, won't even work.
Small secret, it has nothing do do with that. It’s all about the market. Interoperability makes competition much easier. Today I’m forced to have WhatsApp if I want to text another WhatsApp user who don’t use iMessage. I’m forced to use Facebook messenger for those who use it instead of iMessage.

But if iMessage and WhatsApp/messenger must be able to use basic functions such as receiving messages, then that allows me and everyone to use their platform of choice based on its functions instead of its market share and shady data harvesting practices.
Alternative App Store winners: Microsoft, Meta, Amazon
Messaging Interoperability winners: Google
Search engine alternatives winners: Microsoft
Reality: consumers are the winners. And nobody will still use Bing if Microsoft payed people.
DMA will just make everything crappier and shift power from some Big Tech companies to others. I guess instead of being pushed around by Apple, Spotify can be pushed around by Meta and Microsoft. Is that a "win"?
I recommend you actually read the proposal. It’s made to remove the big tech companies stranglehold of users and the market and allow more freedom for the user. Why do you think google holds the record for biggest fines today of over 10 billion euro? And Meta threatening to leave because they can’t abuse user privacy?

SFjohn

macrumors 68020
Sep 8, 2016
No you simply don’t know how eu works.
Eu parliament= democratically elected proportionally.
President of EU commission= elected by parliament.
Commission body employed by the president= Unanimous approval in parliament is needed.
Eu council= Democratically elected heads of state of every member
Council of Eu= democratically elected MP of every member state
I just love people who believe there are actual democracies in the world. 💙💙💙

Sophisticatednut

macrumors 68020
May 2, 2021
Scandinavia
I just love people who believe there are actual democracies in the world. ???
USA is just a crappy democracy. That the difference. Ranked last in the first world.

Your government have just fooled you to believe voting between two parties is democratic.

Proportional representation and parliamentary democracies are like night and day. Tactical voting is impossible, spoiler effect doesn’t exist and gerrymandering is illegal/abolished

huge_apple_fangirl

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2019
Small secret, it has nothing do do with that. It’s all about the market. Interoperability makes competition much easier. Today I’m forced to have WhatsApp if I want to text another WhatsApp user who don’t use iMessage. I’m forced to use Facebook messenger for those who use it instead of iMessage.
Or you could use SMS and reach anyone. The open standard already exists. If you choose to use a proprietary option in its place, that’s on you.

Sophisticatednut

macrumors 68020
May 2, 2021
Scandinavia
Or you could use SMS and reach anyone. The open standard already exists. If you choose to use a proprietary option in its place, that’s on you.
SMS doesn’t have E2E encryption.

And still if I use sms I end up with the same problem. I can’t send sms to WhatsApp, Viber, signal, telegram, messenger etc. I am forced to use these apps.

My Jobb group last year decided to use WhatsApp as a group chat, forcing be to use it as I’m unable to communicate or be communicate with unless I submit and install the app.

A good solution would be if they all must support RCS as a fallback protocol to make it easy to message between users. Or use a different modern standard

Reactions: So@So@So

SFjohn

macrumors 68020
Sep 8, 2016
USA is just a crappy democracy. That the difference. Ranked last in the first world.

Your government have just fooled you to believe voting between two parties is democratic.

Proportional representation and parliamentary democracies are like night and day. Tactical voting is impossible, spoiler effect doesn’t exist and gerrymandering is illegal/abolished
You just don’t get it. Sure you vote for a representative, but that’s not democracy. Money, fear and ignorance buy power. I absolutely agree your system is way better than the USA, but in reality the EU is just running about 10 years behind the US as far as corruption goes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.