Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

visualseed

macrumors 6502a
Dec 16, 2020
So? What is the use case that the typical iPhone user uses the port to transfer large amounts of data on a regular basis? Personally I've transferred some photos off my iPhone to my desktop, but that might be a once a month event and it isn't done in a time pressured situation. All my app updates are done over wifi, which is (A) fast and (B) is something my iPhone is connected to when at home or the office. So where is the data transfer speed limitation?

One of the advantages to lightning is that it is a slightly smaller port. Also, in the US, lightning charger cables are more common than USB-C charging cables. But that should and is changing. USB-C is a fine connector. Of course the lighting was superior to those finicky USB-A mini and micro connectors and to the 30-pin connector, so I'm glad Apple came out with it nearly 10 years ago.
Typical user? Not so much anymore. Anyone shooting ProRes or just massive mounts of video in general may (does) need higher speeds but the cable itself is not the limiting factor as Apple has already demonstrated it can support USB 3 speeds because they did on one of the pre USB-C iPad Pros. I honestly believe we are probably a model cycle or two away from the Pro iPhones supporting Thunderbolt and the regular iPhones supporting USB-C just like the Pro and the Air models in the iPad line now.

Reactions: Razorpit

contacos

macrumors 601
Nov 11, 2020
Mexico City living in Berlin
This will be the iPhone to upgrade for 👏🏼👏🏼 iOS 16 does not offer anything that will make it reasonable to upgrade from my iPhone 12 Pro yet. Especially since we are looking at a price increase this year

stocklen

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2013
i couldn't care less.

Apart from all the additional waste this will create with people discarding all their Lightning cables....

.. I havent plugged my iPhone in since wireless charging was a thing....

coredev

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2012
Bavaria
This will be the iPhone to upgrade for 👏🏼👏🏼 iOS 16 does not offer anything that will make it reasonable to upgrade from my iPhone 12 Pro yet. Especially since we are looking at a price increase this year
Why upgrade anyway? You will be able to install iOS 16 on your 12pro.

visualseed

macrumors 6502a
Dec 16, 2020
Oh, if industry was clever, we would not have so many cables "standards" and EU could concentrate on other less important challenge.
We really don't have that many cable standards and all of the cables (with the exception of lighting) are actually standards. - Some flavor of USB. At the time the original law was proposed almost every consumer electronics manufacturer was creating their own charging cable and USB charging was the exception and not the rule. The fact that the industry got to the point where we can use one of three readily available cables to charge any phone made in the last decade is actually pretty impressive on its own and that came about without any regulation.

DEMinSoCAL

macrumors 601
Sep 27, 2005
I don't suppose the EU went as far as making the USB-C cable manufacturers label their cables so consumers can look at a USB-C cable and know whether it is charge-only or charge+data? And if the latter, is it USB 2.0 or USB 3.0/3.1 speeds, and if so, 5Gbps or 10Gbps? Thunderbolt 3 or 4? How many watts can the cable handle - 20W? 65W? 100W? And for charging phones, does the cable do QC or PD or both?

USB-C is a very capable cable, but for gods sake, label the cable so we know what it can do.

scheinderrob

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2021
I don't suppose the EU went as far as making the USB-C cable manufacturers label their cables so consumers can look at a USB-C cable and know whether it is charge-only or charge+data? And if the latter, is it USB 2.0 or USB 3.0/3.1 speeds, and if so, 5Gbps or 10Gbps? Thunderbolt 3 or 4? How many watts can the cable handle - 20W? 65W? 100W? And for charging phones, does the cable do QC or PD or both?

USB-C is a very capable cable, but for gods sake, label the cable so we know what it can do.

very fair point. usb has become a complete mess.

ggibson913

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2006
Bunch of salty Americans in this thread complaining about proper legislation. Does the Apple fanboyism run that deep that even common sense is outweighed by their cheerleading for a tech company? LOL
This salty American believes that if Apple or any other company were to invent some better technology than USB-c, they ought not to have Regulation prevent that innovation from moving forward. Also I believe that companies ought to design their products and can’t really see where the lightening port actually hurts any consumer so much that it needs the government to regulate it out of existence.

leeuk321

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2018
What are the advantages ? From a data transfer point of view on iPhone lightning is stuck at slow usb2.0 speeds.
Well, that's why I said supposedly, I'm not pro-Lightning by any means. I think I've heard some people argue that Lightning is a more stable connection, and obviously it can fit into a smaller space. I'm sure Apple has a load or reasons why Lightning is better, none being that it's a better way for them to earn money of course /s.

yegon

macrumors 68040
Oct 20, 2007
I’d like to see a spite fuelled Homer designed iPhone, the (anti) iVePhone, a lightning port at one end and a USB-C the other.

DEMinSoCAL

macrumors 601
Sep 27, 2005
The EU needs to institute a buy-back program where they pay the consumers to turn in their non-USB-c cables and chargers for proper recycling rather than send them to a landfill.
Why do they have to PAY people to turn in their old chargers? You have to bribe people to "save the earth"?

Not sure where you live, but here in CA we have e-waste recycle events around town where you bring your old electronics for recycle and the events are free. No one pays anyone. I certainly don't need to be paid to get rid of useless stuff properly.

leeuk321

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2018

This is a really good point. Same with HDMI / HDCP, what a mess that's become.

DEMinSoCAL

macrumors 601
Sep 27, 2005
This salty American believes that if Apple or any other company were to invent some better technology than USB-c, they ought not to have Regulation prevent that innovation from moving forward. Also I believe that companies ought to design their products and can’t really see where the lightening port actually hurts any consumer so much that it needs the government to regulate it out of existence.
Wild guess here, but I'd bet that Apple is over the moon about not having to include chargers in the box of many of their devices, adding millions or billions to their bottom line (since they aren't lowering device prices). I highly doubt Apple is interested in inventing some proprietary charging method again. They've learned their lesson from Lightning.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.