Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DanielDD

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2013
Portugal
Agree.

Curious if the law allows for the next port to be developed without permission. Or will companies have to change the law before they can try something new.

The legislation does not prevent other ports to be added on the devices. Just that one of them needs to be a USB-C capable of charging the device.

DEMinSoCAL

macrumors 601
Sep 27, 2005
How do you know? Where is your economic/market research to justify this rather bold statement?

Why are people so afraid of CHOICE and letting people CHOOSE what they want and the company reacts based on that CHOICE? Why are people so anti-CHOICE?
It's called common sense. Would you buy a shiny new iPhone 16 that can fast charge @ 65W or the same new iPhone that slow charges @ <20W with Lightning? Lightning is, what, a decade or more old? It is LOW POWER, LOW SPEED, while technology is moving ahead with HIGH POWER, HIGH SPEED devices. There literally is ZERO reason to stick with Lightning.

Heck, phone maker Realme just released a phone that fast-charges (over USB-C no surprise) @ 150W. 0-50% in 5 minutes and 17 minutes for full charge.

visualseed

macrumors 6502a
Dec 16, 2020
This salty American believes that if Apple or any other company were to invent some better technology than USB-c, they ought not to have Regulation prevent that innovation from moving forward. Also I believe that companies ought to design their products and can’t really see where the lightening port actually hurts any consumer so much that it needs the government to regulate it out of existence.
I would much rather governments regulate the placement of windshield wiper controls on cars. I'm tired of renting cars and continually activating other controls because auto manufacturers believe the Infinite Improbability Drive should determine their placement and function.

• Haha
Reactions: hcherry and LV426

Prabas

macrumors 65816
Sep 14, 2010
Europe
Imagine defending a company that refuses to switch to USB-C just because they collect money from MFi accessories 🤡 Companies 'policing' themselves doesn't work and US is a great example of that.

Anyway, having a choice of Lightning or USB-C is even worse idea. Most people don't know what these ports are and all they know is that it's a that's-how-I-charge-my-phone-port. Those who are a bit more tech literate, know how slow lightning is with its' USB 2.0 speeds.

There's absolutely zero disadvantages of switching to USB-C. Zero.

NotTooLate

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2020
I wonder how we will move FORWARD from USBC , is this the end of the road for USB port evolution ? how would anyone be able to design a new port ? crazy to think that this is it , we are stopping development of a communication port because EU decided that companies are not allowed to.

noone

macrumors 6502
Feb 4, 2006
I'm all for hastening the changeover to USB-C. I'm not for it being mandated by the/a government. It's not really any of their business what port a company decides to use on their products, provided it isn't a safety hazard (which the lightning port is not).

visualseed

macrumors 6502a
Dec 16, 2020
The EU needs to institute a buy-back program where they pay the consumers to turn in their non-USB-c cables and chargers for proper recycling rather than send them to a landfill.
As with many things, the EU would just ship them off to some third-world country were they could be "recycled properly" under a much more relaxed set of environmental laws.

Orange Bat

macrumors 6502a
Mar 21, 2021
Having lightning on my iPhone wouldn’t be so bad if my iPad wasn’t USB-C and USB-C wasn’t becoming the standard on Apple’s laptops and desktops. The only device I now own that uses lightning is my very expensive iPhone 13 Pro Max. It’s pretty silly.

ilikewhey

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2014
nyc upper east
How do you know? Where is your economic/market research to justify this rather bold statement?

Why are people so afraid of CHOICE and letting people CHOOSE what they want and the company reacts based on that CHOICE? Why are people so anti-CHOICE?
oh for christ sake it's a cable, this isn't some abortion vs anti abortion thing. bottom line the lighting cable is slow and fragile, the whole industry is moving towards usb-c, apple included. the writing has been on the wall since 2016 when apple slapped on tb3/usbc on the mbp.

maxfromdenmark

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2011
Copenhagen
A guy from the EU here. I have some mixed feelings about it. I'm happy with the endless swapping cables when charging iPad Pro and iPhone to end soon. However, I am an owner of Philips headphones with a lightning connector and they will be useless soon unless I buy an adapter.
Anyway, the big winner is the Earth and maybe consumers.

visualseed

macrumors 6502a
Dec 16, 2020
I wonder how we will move FORWARD from USBC , is this the end of the road for USB port evolution ? how would anyone be able to design a new port ? crazy to think that this is it , we are stopping development of a communication port because EU decided that companies are not allowed to.
Technically you could add more pins to the port as long as the port remained physically compatible and the charging pins didnt change. USB-A did this to support USB 3 speeds. Thunderbolt over the same connector proves that the connector has some versatility, but, ultimately, even that could be short-lived as we don't know for sure if TB 5 can support the same connector. I would much rather see companies invest R&D in new wireless charging and data tech than physical cables anyway as that is the more likely and most useful future.

MysticCow

macrumors 68000
May 27, 2013
Technically you could add more pins to the port as long as the port remained physically compatible and the charging pins didnt change. USB-A did this to support USB 3 speeds. Thunderbolt over the same connector proves that he connector has some versatility, but, ultimately, even that could be short-lived as we don't know for sure if TB 5 can support the same connector. I would much rather see companies invest R&D in new wireless charging and data tech than physical cables anyway as that is the more likely and most useful future.

Firewire kind of did this also, but the port shape magically changed when FW 800 happened. If the plug wouldn't have changed, we might still have Firewire today.

Reactions: visualseed

neuropsychguy

macrumors 68020
Sep 29, 2008
adding millions or billions to their bottom line (since they aren't lowering device prices)
Is Apple not lowering their prices or not raising their prices? Maybe not including the chargers allows Apple to keep their prices where they are instead of raising them (people might not like Apple's margins but that is a different issue).

icanhazmac

Contributor
Apr 11, 2018
Might be anekdotal but over several iPhones and iPads I have never had a single port failure with Lightning but on my 2017 MBP the USB-C ports on both sides had to be replaced and they had FAR less use than the Lightning ports on my phone and tablet.

Hope the EU is happy with all the repair costs that are incoming.

If nothing else the Lightning connection feels much stronger but time will tell I guess.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.