Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
if they wait until iPhone 16 that would mean they would no longer be able to sell the previous years model in the EU which they always tend to sell for a lower price so that wouldn't really make too much sense to wait until that time

I don't think that's true. The law applies to phones manufactured after the December 24' deadline....

Alpha Centauri

macrumors 65816
Oct 13, 2020
TB4 uses USB-C as a connector, but it is not USB-C. While the articles says it should be USB-C.
What do you mean..."it's not USB-C"?

USB-C is just a connection standard. I think someone already mentioned that to you.

Anecdotally, only the chipset used determines the actual throughput speed. And certainly it seems that's how Apple will further force segmentation if rumors are to be believed of the iP 15 vs Pro. But know I digress.

T Coma

macrumors 6502a
Dec 3, 2015
Flyover Country, USA
Screen Shot 2022-12-08 at 8.10.13 AM.png

Brave.

iccb

macrumors member
Dec 27, 2009
Finland
If Thunderbolt ever uses anythink else port than USB-C, the iPads should charge only with wireless charger so there is no worry about connecting perepherials.

cyanite

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2015
I guess Apple cannot put the superior Thunderbolt 4 on their iPhone's?

I guess the iPad Pro needs to downgrade from Thunderbolt 4 to USB-C because of Europe?
Yes they can, since Thunderbolt 4 uses the USB-C connector.

But USB-C != Thunderbolt 4.
One is a connector, one is a system that uses that connector.

Apple can switch on the fly with the Apple Dongle Ultra. Have the best of both worlds: lightning and USB C, with the best, most powerful, thinnest and lightest dongle we’ve ever made. There has never been a faster, more versatile dongle with the cachet of the Apple Dongle Ultra.

View attachment 2125219
The device must have a USB-C connector with USB PD support. Adapters are not sufficient. They can offer an adapter the other way, of course.

TB4 uses USB-C as a connector, but it is not USB-C. While the articles says it should be USB-C.

SirAnthonyHopkins

macrumors 6502a
Sep 29, 2020
if they wait until iPhone 16 that would mean they would no longer be able to sell the previous years model in the EU which they always tend to sell for a lower price so that wouldn't really make too much sense to wait until that time
I wonder if this is true, or whether they'll be able to keep selling old SKUs after the date. I'd imagine it only applies to new products launched after the date?

Juvencus

macrumors newbie
Oct 10, 2020
Imagine defending a multi-trillionaire corporation. If it was up to Apple, we would be stuck with the extremely outdated Lightning port for another 10 years because of charger licensing greed.

The EU law is much more flexible to new technologies and ports compared to Apple's stance on...anything new. Not that anyone bothered to read the law itself.

t0rqx

macrumors 68000
Nov 27, 2021
Would not surprise me if they pull this BS again. Great upgrades for iPhone 15 and to make a upgrade move again include minor improvements on 16 but with the introduction of USB-C. iPhone is the biggest money maker and they need to milk every penny if possible!

imdog

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2017
Disneyland
Imagine defending a multi-trillionaire corporation. If it was up to Apple, we would be stuck with the extremely outdated Lightning port for another 10 years because of charger licensing greed.

The EU law is much more flexible to new technologies and ports compared to Apple's stance on...anything new. Not that anyone bothered to read the law itself.
Imagine defending an unelected corrupt supranational political organization that violates national sovereignty.

VogonPoetry

macrumors newbie
May 2, 2022
The USB C connector is fine but those praising the EU for dictating which connector can be used for power delivery should be aware that when they first tried to introduce this law they were going to force companies to use the execrable micro-USB connector.
Thankfully they failed at the time and are now forcing the use of USB C instead, the design of which was directly influenced by Apple's reversible Lightning connector. In short, they're insisting people use a connector that their own short-sighted laws would almost certainly have prevented from existing.

roop27

macrumors member
Mar 22, 2011
London, UK
why is this a surprise to some of you? Apple already has migrated the macbook/iPad to USB-C. Being forced to move one last product can only help the the consumer using a unified system.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.