Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
Agree I would have rather just had faster Lightning than USB-C

Lightning with USB 3.0 has existed since 2015 and was only ever used in some iPad Pro models. Apple has since switched to USB-C for newer iPads. Even back then they didn't provide Lightning to USB 3.0 cables if I remember correctly, they only released an adapter.

Lightning has IMO stagnated; it isn't going anywhere.

I'm all for Apple going USB-C even though I like the lightning connectors solid feel more, but for politicians to decide what ports a device have to use to get power is a slippery slope that risks holding back innovation.

There are ample technical standards and requirements that products must fulfil before they can be sold in the EU. This is not different. Technology changes all the time, so do technical standards and regulations. The USB-C requirement is not set in stone, the European Commission was also given delegated powers to change the technical specifications and the product categories to which they apply.

The USB-C port is also just required for powering the device. It has great versatility also for data transfers, as proven by USB, Thunderbolt and DisplayPort, which Lightning most certainly has not.

imdog

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2017
Disneyland
The EU does not dictate what charging port a company can use. The EU dictates what charging port a company must use if it wants to sell its products in the EU. Are you familiar with the "my house, my rules" mantra? It's that simple. Apple can simply pull out of the EU if wants to keep the lightning port. Or go port-less. Or here's another idea. Make the US/Global iPhone with the freedom port and the EU iPhone with USB-C. They already make the US iPhone without a sim tray. Go ask Apple to do that.

Like it or not, the EU is a global superpower. This is very confusing for a lot of people because the EU is an economic superpower, not a bomb the s**t out of you superpower. No matter how hard brexiteers and freedom fries munchers scoff at the EU, it's still a global superpower.
The US government does not dictate what laws you can’t break, it only dictates what laws you can’t break if you want to be in the US. You could apply that argument to absolutely any law and any governing body lol.

What difference does it make that it’s a global superpower lol? Just because it’s a global superpower means it should be able to violate people’s rights? You saying it’s a global superpower further pushes my point that it’s wrong and not just “my house my rules” since this is a global superpower not just someone’s house

Reactions: iOS Geek

cthompson94

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2022
SoCal
Here is a simple guide for all of your USB C needs :D oh and good luck finding cables with those "Associated Symbols"
resources.png

• Love
Reactions: compwiz1202

Manzanito

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2010
That's literally the only reason, profit.....
But it’s not a sensible thing to do. They have been almost always first to adopt new technologies, like with thunderbolt, it’s stupid to maintain an usb 2.0 speed port in 2022. Being forced to switch by the EU makes them look greedy, and certainly not the makers of the best possible products, like they like to claim.

Silverado

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2008
Apple does NOT have to provide a USB-C port to comply. The mandate is that IF the device has a connector for charging, that connector must become USB-C. However, if the device does not have a connector, for example, if it only has wireless charging, it will not have to have a USB-C connector.

An excerpt from the directive:

2. In so far as they are capable of being recharged by means of wired charging, the categories or classes of radio equipment referred to in point 1 of this Part shall:

2.1 be equipped with the USB Type-C receptacle

So, as some have speculated, if Apple goes to all wireless charging and a port-less design for some of their iPhones, they would still be in compliance.

Last edited:

Nozuka

macrumors 68040
Jul 3, 2012
The EU deserves scorn for this as it will slow any adoption to anything beyond USB C.

USB-C seems perfectly fine to keep it. Just like we don't need new wall plugs.
The only way i can see things improving is wirelessly. And i don't mean stuck to the desk wireless, but really wireless. And this is not preventing that.

randian

macrumors 6502a
Jan 15, 2014
Unpopular because they make unified charging jack mandatory? Everyone in the world should be happy that the EU has finally forced Apple to abandon the slow and outdated Lightning connector!
Why should I care about unified charging jacks? I only have one phone.

ryanwarsaw

macrumors 68030
Apr 7, 2007
Tim should just respond by permanently super glueing a lightening to USB-C dongle into the port. Easy peasy.

AndiG

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2008
Germany
And what happens if Intel decides to change the connector of Thunderbolt to something else. Then you are screwed because of Europe, as Apple is then stuck on outdated Thunderbolt.

And then we are back where we have different cables for computers (using the latest Thunderbolt) and smartphones.
Some people never get ist. USB-C is just the name of the connector. It specifies 16 data transfer pins, 4 power pins, and 4 ground pins for a total of 24 pins. It is enough for USB 3.1, 3.2, 4.0, Thunderbolt and many more.

https://www.makeuseof.com/usb-4-vs-usb-c-whats-the-difference/

randian

macrumors 6502a
Jan 15, 2014
I have dozens of 30-pin devices, dozens of Lightning devices, and now 3 Type C devices. The failure rate of the 30-pin system was greater than Lightning, by a noticeable margin. I personally have never had a Lightning port failure, only plug or cable failure (less expensive cable-side “repair”), and Lightning port failures I have seen on client devices have been overwhelmingly from physical misuse (dropping directly on a plugged-in device or carelessness), obstruction (pocket lint), or electrical damage (using damaged cables or cheap charger blocks), with legit port failure only a handful of times (and usually always covered under warranty). HOWEVER, of my three Type C devices, two have already had their Type C ports replaced under warranty; and I have seen similar failure rates over the past 5 years with client Apple “Pro” devices. It isn’t even close, Lightning is far superior to Type C in my experience. (Which makes sense, Lightning is a 1x mechanically simpler system.)
My last two iPhones both starting getting flaky Lightning connections after 18 months or so of at least daily insertions for use with CarPlay. Now any time the car hits a bump the connection drops and, most of the time, tries to restart.

Reactions: Manzanito

aaadktda

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2019
The US government does not dictate what laws you can’t break, it only dictates what laws you can’t break if you want to be in the US. You could apply that argument to absolutely any law and any governing body lol.

What difference does it make that it’s a global superpower lol? Just because it’s a global superpower means it should be able to violate people’s rights? You saying it’s a global superpower further pushes my point that it’s wrong and not just “my house my rules” since this is a global superpower not just someone’s house
I do not understand the point you are trying to make in the first paragraph. Things are as they should be. In the US you follow US rules, in the EU, EU rules, in Japan, Japan rules and so on. Don't like it? Don't go there!

A global superpower as in it can make a 3 trillion dollar company get with the times and not remain stuck in the past for the sake of making more money from cables and dongles. Average people can't do that. There is your difference.

If I an not too intrusive, how old are you? If you are not a teenager, just like Apple you seem stuck in the past with the use of "lol" in comments. Also, do you live in the EU? I do and my iPhone and iPad Air 3 are the only small devices that don't have a USB-C charging port. That's including an air compressor to inflate tires and a small cordless drill. In this case the EU did not violate my rights. It made my life easier.

• Haha
Reactions: iOS Geek and LD517

icanhazmac

Contributor
Apr 11, 2018
Apple's laptops have two charging systems.

Apple's phones have two charging systems.

Apple has been making Lightning and USB-C iPads since 2018.

There is a difference between choosing to provide 2 systems and being forced via legislation to do so.

phalseHUD

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2011
Digital Sprawl
What next? EU demands all phones have an EU flag displayed at boot up?
No wonder the EU is increasingly unpopular.
The EU are a disgrace… Same goes for the World Economic Forum too. They are both a law unto themselves and wholly undemocratic.

Recently, the majority of the Dutch Parliament ordered the government to NOT support the European DigitalID.

So the Dutch Secretary of Digitalisation, Alexandra van Huffelem, went to Brussels and voted in favour of a European DigitalID anyway. Democracy is dead.

It’s not much better in the UK though, and we’re out of the EU! WEF a puppet 1, WEF puppet 2 were our choices. Disgrace.

This is an overreach from the EU, just my opinion.

• Disagree
Reactions: KALLT and iOS Geek

H2SO4

macrumors 603
Nov 4, 2008
The British people are beginning to regret leaving the EU. Whether you agree with the EU or not, the brits were told a pack of lies to get them to vote the way they did.
Not beginning, they were feeling regret a LOOONNNGG time ago. A lot are too pig headed to admit it.

jimbobb24

Suspended
Jun 6, 2005
In that case my iPhone 12 PM would be my longest lasting iPhone. No USB-C, no upgrade
Why? How does that impact your life?

USBC zealots are weirder than lightning zealots. What are you doing with your phone where this matters that much? I really don’t get it.

imdog

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2017
Disneyland
I do not understand the point you are trying to make in the first paragraph. Things are as they should be. In the US you follow US rules, in the EU, EU rules, in Japan, Japan rules and so on. Don't like it? Don't go there!

A global superpower as in it can make a 3 trillion dollar company get with the times and not remain stuck in the past for the sake of making more money from cables and dongles. Average people can't do that. There is your difference.

If I an not too intrusive, how old are you? If you are not a teenager, just like Apple you seem stuck in the past with the use of "lol" in comments. Also, do you live in the EU? I do and my iPhone and iPad Air 3 are the only small devices that don't have a USB-C charging port. That's including an air compressor to inflate tires and a small cordless drill. In this case the EU did not violate my rights. It made my life easier.
You can still have an opinion on any countries rules, and those rules are still infringing on the freedom of a private company. I would oppose this regulation if it were the American government doing it, Japan doing it, I don't care.

I'm in my 20's and do not live in the EU. My iPhone is one of my only devices that doesn't use USB-C and it would make my life easier as well, so would a new law where they steal a rich persons money and give it all to me; doesn't make it moral. There are many bad things that could make your life easier.

Macropanda

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2014
Wireless only is ********. Here's just one reason: Most people would not be able to use CarPlay anymore. And even those with wireless CarPlay might prefer the cable because wired is more stable and reliable than wireless transmission.
Not to mention the millions of developers out there. Using Xcode wirelessly is horrendous. I’ve seen some articles mentions data being transferred through MagSafe via some kind of optical connection but then that’s just even more cables!

Reactions: Basic75

Iconoclysm

macrumors 68040
May 13, 2010
Washington, DC
Especially since they haven’t even done anything with it. People always love to say „this will stop innovation“ yeah right, Apple is still using the same connector from literally 10 years ago on the iPhone today
Every time I see this point made it's obvious that two major factors aren't being weighed:

1. Innovation would mean USB Type D, any connector moving forward will need to go through government bureaucracy to be implemented - so how would adoption ever even work? Essentially, the EU now controls wired connectors going forward for any and all devices...and the USB foundation is already extremely slow to act...which is why we had lightning years before USB Type C ever came along to begin with!!!

2. Users were not happy having to change to lightning. Apple's device ecosystem has accessories built around the lightning connector as it did with the dock connector a decade ago. Apple promised Lightning to be the connector "for the next decade" at the keynote where it was launched. They were one of the first companies to ever adopt USB Type C for their laptops (12" Macbook was the first laptop to have it). They aren't dragging their feet here, they're meeting an obligation.

aaadktda

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2019
You can still have an opinion on any countries rules, and those rules are still infringing on the freedom of a private company. I would oppose this regulation if it were the American government doing it, Japan doing it, I don't care.

I'm in my 20's and do not live in the EU. My iPhone is one of my only devices that doesn't use USB-C and it would make my life easier as well, so would a new law where they steal a rich persons money and give it all to me; doesn't make it moral. There are many bad things that could make your life easier.
Unless that company is forced to be in that country or economic area, they are free to leave if they are not happy. No one is infringing on their freedom if they are not forced to be there. Rules can be particular to a certain country for many reasons (economic, safety and so on). For example, cars made in the EU that are sold in the UK must have headlights with the beams adjusted for driving on the right side of the road. I find this to be normal and not an infringement on the freedom of the manufacturers.

Considering you are not in the EU, my first thought is to respectfully ask you to stay in your lane and direct your time and energy into convincing Apple to make future iPhones with a Lightning port instead of USB-C and sell them where you live.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.