Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Iconoclysm

macrumors 68040
May 13, 2010
Washington, DC
What’s that freedom of a private company principle you talk about? Countries have rules, you can obbey them or leave the market.

Should companies be allowed to do all they wanted to do, no restrictions whatsoever? Is that what you’re saying?

Why does this very nuanced conversation have to be taken to both extremes? There are downsides to both sides of this.

Reactions: compwiz1202

Iconoclysm

macrumors 68040
May 13, 2010
Washington, DC
Apple gets to enjoy staying a generation behind, like they’ve been doing with lightning for years, so there’s a bright side for apple in this, I suppose.

Apple is not a generation behind with Lightning. Yes, it's long in the tooth but its functionality is still far beyond the last generation of USB connectors.

• Haha
Reactions: freedomlinux

jib2

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2015
Apple could be obtuse and wait until the iPhone 16, however I think that would be a huge mistake, if they do
Actually, Apple can wait until iPhone 17 (released in September 2025) which must comply. iPhones released prior to December 28, 2024 (including iPhone 16) can continue to be sold.

It is unlikely they will wait this long, but they could.

Reactions: ApplesAreSweet&Sour

Iconoclysm

macrumors 68040
May 13, 2010
Washington, DC
I wonder if the people outraged at the EU for this reasonable regulation were alive for that annoying time
I was, and it was awful. But calling this regulation reasonable only seems reasonable right now. If you recall, those connectors were soldered into their chargers as well. Seems the "industry" solved that very quickly in 2007...which is why we're now only talking about cables.

bluecoast

macrumors 68020
Nov 7, 2017
I'm surprised at the passion some people here have for lightning.

So much port love going on.

As for me, I will never forget my first love:

The 30 pin iPod port.

(Which Apple still sells the cable for, bizarrely enough - with a USB-A connector at the other end).

switz

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2008
East edge of Phoenix urban sprawl
I see a Lightning port and immediately know what cable is necessary. There has been only one cable choice (except for lengths) for many years. Now there can be a USB-A or USB-C connector on the other end of the Lightning cable.

When I see a USB-C port there is no indication of it's power rating or the capability of the electronics inside the device for data transfer speeds. I look into a box of miscellaneous USB-C cables and can not determine the power only (or how much power) from the data cables or the data speeds.

So the EU has mandated a form factor for the metal connector shell and left the definitions of the connectors, the power ratings of the connectors and the data rates up in the air.

How do I determine if I have a quality cable or a cheap knock off from overseas?

If the politicians all had glass navels, perhaps the could have forseen the maze of cables heading to the landfills of the world as folks have to buy many cables in trial and error mode to find the one that works for their specific device. Or do we need a cord to charge and a cord to transfer data?

I call BS on making a standard without considering all aspects which includes cables and the "wall warts" needed to power the devices. We have dozens or even hundreds of proprietary wall warts for all classes of devices. Apple currently has twelve different power rated and connector configuration chargers (wall warts) on their webpages.

At least the Apple chargers can hand shake to adjust their power to the Apple product load and allow them to slow charge and then fast charge before being needed.

Remember the 10 watt Apple wall wart that turned into the 12 watt Apple wall wart with exactly the same size and markings?

Like many governmental decrees, this one was not even shaped properly before being put into an oven to behalf baked.

cthompson94

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2022
SoCal
That's cool. How does power work into that? I never knew there was a difference at one time. Now so far I've seen 60 100 140 250W cables
Basically from what I could find for power capabilities it is labeled as "PD" Power Delivery, which brands basically rename with things we have all heard like fast charge and super fast charge and blah blah basically boils down to this chart I found (do keep in mind these are not all)
PD.png

So currently USB-C is maxed at 5A and it is the Voltage that then determines your wattage capability. So hopefully any USB-C cables that you buy both state the data capabilities and power capabilities or at least has somewhere in the fine text voltage capabilities and of course current too, because as you can see in "Quick Charge" and Power Delivery" they overlap in voltage capability with the difference being current capability.

Personally how I separate my cables are in two main groups the cables I only use for Data and then Power and then sort these two groups into max capabilities because remember the higher ones can do lower. It is extremely annoying, but it is so I can benefit from what I purchase and this is the exact reason I laugh when people simply complain about "just wanting one cable" what good is getting the latest iPhone or whatever device and saying "oh good I can use this cable to charge on this trip now" well sure but that cable you grabbed is say that fast charge one so when you could be getting over 3x the capability if you had the Quick Charge one instead.

thebeans

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2009

The European Union has set an official deadline for when all smartphones sold in its jurisdiction must have a USB-C port, including the iPhone.

iPhone-15-to-Switch-From-Lightning-to-USB-C-in-2023-feature.jpg

The EU officially approved the common charger law in October, but a specific date for when the law would come into force was unknown. Now, in a newly published directive, the EU says all smartphones must have USB-C by December 28, 2024. Other consumer products, such as tablets and gadgets, will also be required to switch to USB-C under the new law. Products that rely solely on wireless charging with no port will not have to include USB-C.

Apple's vice president of worldwide marketing, Greg Joswiak "Joz," confirmed that Apple would have no choice but to adhere to the EU's new law. Joz didn't say when Apple would make the switch to USB-C and away from Lightning, but with the December 2024 deadline, Apple could wait until the iPhone 16 in September 2024 before transitioning to the newer port.

Reports suggest that Apple is planning to make the switch to USB-C earlier than the fall of 2024 with the iPhone 15 in September 2023. Other Apple products and accessories such as the AirPods and Mac keyboards, mouses, and trackpads are also expected to follow suit with USB-C shortly after.

Article Link: EU Sets Official Deadline for When iPhone Must Switch to USB-C
I know it’s inevitable, but every time I plug a cable into my iPhone and hear / feel that nice “click”, it gives me a warm fuzzy feeling. 😆 Every time I plug in a mushy, imprecise feeling USB-C plug I get a different, much less enjoyable feeling. Lightning > USB-C forevermore!! 👍

Manzanito

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2010
Apple is not a generation behind with Lightning. Yes, it's long in the tooth but its functionality is still far beyond the last generation of USB connectors.
I don’t know about that. Usb-c has faster data transfer, I understand. Are you refering to usb 2.0?

ApplesAreSweet&Sour

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2018
Actually, Apple can wait until iPhone 17 (released in September 2025) which must comply. iPhones released prior to December 28, 2024 (including iPhone 16) can continue to be sold.

It is unlikely they will wait this long, but they could.
You’re right.

But let’s not forget they only said they would comply with the regulation, not that they would do USB-C.

When considering how there actually was a USB 3.0 version of Lightning released for one or two generations of iPad Pro 10” (pre-USB-C iPads Pro), I don’t get the sense that Apple wants iPhones to be used for wired syncing and extensive data transfer.

I get the sense that they want it as mobile and waterproof as possible, which is also underlined by how they were front runners on removing the headphone jack.

I feel MagSafe only is just as likely on the next iPhone.

Well, they’ll probably hold onto Lightning until the very last minute to refine the completely wireless iPhone.

But doing a MagSafe only iPhone frees them of the financial downsides of the regulation and could incentivize consumers to go all in on buying MagSafe accessories if Apple improves MagSafe tech substantially.

This would have Apple comply with regulation and ditch Lightning but still be able to keep most of its MFi royalties coming in.

ApplesAreSweet&Sour

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2018
I’m not sold on Apple doing USB-C for iPhones until I see a leak or something more than what the E.U. is mandating and what consumers want.

A new, much improved MagSafe iteration is just as likely.

• Disagree
Reactions: Reason077

Reason077

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2007
I'm surprised at the passion some people here have for lightning.

So much port love going on.

As for me, I will never forget my first love:

The 30 pin iPod port.

(Which Apple still sells the cable for, bizarrely enough - with a USB-A connector at the other end).

Before the 30-pin port there was the original iPod, which had the classic trapezoid-shaped Firewire 400 port!

I had one, it was amazing. Sadly it died a salt water death many years ago when my backpack got soaked somewhere in the South Pacific, but I think I still have its corpse somewhere.

I wonder if Apple still sells those cables. 🤔

Beautiful Opinion

Suspended
Sep 20, 2022
This is fine and excellent so long as the EU allows newer and better standards than USB-C in the future, say 10-20 years from now, to supersede it.

Reason077

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2007
So the EU has mandated a form factor for the metal connector shell and left the definitions of the connectors, the power ratings of the connectors and the data rates up in the air.

All USB-C cables support a minimum of 3A 60W charging. That's sufficient for most laptops, and far more power than any phone requires.

Data rates are irrelevant here. The EU regulation is only about charging.

Reason077

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2007
You do not have to imagine it. 20 years ago Nokia, Ericsson, Alcatel and may more did exactly that.

This is still a problem today with some products. For example, every power tool manufacturer uses a different type of battery with a different connector. Every e-bike manufacturer has a different battery with a different plug and charger.

It's a huge source of frustration and waste (both environmental waste and wasted money buying extra batteries and chargers!)

Damian83

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2011
What next? EU demands all phones have an EU flag displayed at boot up?
No wonder the EU is increasingly unpopular.
so, are happy to have an iphone worth 1500bucks that uses usb2.0? u must kiss EU's feet that we'll finally have usb-c 🤦‍♂️

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.