Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Citizens of European Union countries can keep avoiding mobile roaming fees when using their devices across borders within the bloc, after lawmakers extended the regulation to last until at least 2032.

European-Commisssion.jpg

Mobile customers generally haven't had to worry about roaming charges when using their phones in the EU, with most phone tariffs counting calls, texts, and data used in EU countries as equivalent to domestic use since 2017.

The regulation was due to end on July 1, so the EU has extended it for a decade. That means European consumers can keep avoiding most extra fees when traveling within another of the 27 EU Member States, but there are also some new additions to the regulation, including a requirement that citizens have access to the same services abroad in the EU as at home when the same networks and technologies are available.

As TechCrunch notes, while this quality of service provision covers 5G, it doesn't guarantee the same mobile network speed when roaming (network speeds can vary), but the Commission says the new rules "aim to ensure that when similar quality or speeds are available in the visited network, the domestic operator should ensure the same quality of the roaming service."

In addition, the updated regulation aims to increase transparency by requiring network providers to better inform customers about the types of services that can still incur additional costs when roaming, such as calling customer service numbers, help desks, and insurance companies. Customers should receive an SMS text regarding any additional roaming charges.

In case it isn't already clear by now, this regulation won't apply to mobile customers based in the United Kingdom, as a result of the country's exit from the European Union. With the exception of Virgin Media O2, most networks in the U.K. have since reintroduced roaming charges when traveling in the EU, and most charges are around £2 per day.

Article Link: European Union Citizens Won't Face Mobile Roaming Fees Until At Least 2032

indiekiduk

macrumors 6502
Jul 26, 2005
Glasgow, Scotland
Speeds when roaming are terrible. VPN tunnel back to home network (they still need to sell your data wherever you are) and foreign network bandwidth allocations are parts of the problem. I doubt these tricks will ever be regulated.

Three UK Roaming on Optus Australia not only is restricted to 3G but is practically useless for browsing an Australian website because of the 4 trips across the planet. Get about 5K/s.

Local sims are still a necessity. Looks like esim apps are making this easier, not that it's ever been a chore going in a airport newsstand when arriving though.

Damian83

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2011
First USB-C, now this. When will the EU ever stop it’s anti-consumer overreach that stops companies innovating.
1) EU its the only way to force Tim to update its prehistoric lightning cable. It’s certainly more innovative than him.
2) what roaming charges have to do with companies innovation? If u want the truth, no companies care about this as i’m still waiting for separate mobile data settings for standard and roaming usage. Everytime i go abroad i have to manually disable specific apps from using mobile data, take a note of them, then enabling again when i back in my country. No one thinks to add such feature, while, i bet, its possible to do on a jb iphone or rooted (maybe even on standard) android.

Moriarty

macrumors 6502
Feb 3, 2008
First USB-C, now this. When will the EU ever stop it’s anti-consumer overreach that stops companies innovating.

Okay let’s say you live in Texas, but you need to travel to New Mexico to pick up your birth control prescription. But your phone plan only covers Texas, so you’re hit with roaming charges as soon as you use data across the border.

So how is it a bad thing for consumers that there is a regulating authority which stops this from happening?

FWIW I pay €20 a month for 12 GB of data and 150 minutes of voice. I can go to Germany or Denmark or Italy and not pay any extra roaming charges. It just works. It’s good for everyone.

addictive

macrumors 6502
Jul 6, 2008
Have the U.K. networks actually re-introduced the roaming fees? I thought they had delayed them. I’m abroad and haven’t been charged at all and I’m not with O2/Virgin Media.

I think it’s an unworkable cash grab by the networks that will be so incredibly unpopular with U.K. tourists that the mobile networks would face constant horrendous media attention for their greed when they originally said no roaming fees would be re-introduced.

Reactions: Kris28 and arkitect

daved2424

Suspended
Sep 14, 2018
Yea, cos it was all about mobile phone charges /s
The thing is, this is just a simple example that even the dumb dumbs can understand.

Big Bloc A introduces a rule that instructs all companies to follow. Said companies comply with rule, but instead of having two products, they have just the one that complied with new rule. Little Country B doesn’t like this rule. Big Bloc A does not give a hoot what Little Country B thinks. Little Country B used to able to influence Big Bloc A and punch above its weight. Little Country B left Big Bloc A and now no one gives a sheet what they thing. Big Bloc A continues with the world status it always had. Little Country B has taken back control, by giving up a lot of control.

Trebles all round!

daved2424

Suspended
Sep 14, 2018
Have the U.K. networks actually re-introduced the roaming fees? I thought they had delayed them. I’m abroad and haven’t been charged at all and I’m not with O2/Virgin Media.

I think it’s an unworkable cash grab by the networks that will be so incredibly unpopular with U.K. tourists that the mobile networks would face constant horrendous media attention for their greed when they originally said no roaming fees would be re-introduced.
RTFA. Yes they have.

iMacDragon

macrumors 68020
Oct 18, 2008
UK

Are you on contract or PAYG?

Marie.D

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2020
With the exception of Virgin Media O2, most networks in the U.K. have since reintroduced roaming charges when traveling in the EU, and most charges are around £2 per day.
It’s surreal to me that this is a thing. I’m in the UK and my French phone plan hasn’t been changed in years due to Brexit. I still enjoy the same benefits, unlimited calls/texts to French AND UK numbers, and they went from 6go to 14Gb of data of roaming for 9€. That’s £7.8.

Meanwhile here the offers are atrocious, horribly expensive, and the roaming benefits are a joke. I needed a number when I moved here. A simple offer from EE for 10Gb of data is £27 or 31€. And I can’t use any of it outside the UK unless I play £2 A DAY. WHat the hell.

I ended up getting a PAYG SIM from o2 just to have a UK number and use my french SIM for everything else. Mobile providers in the UK are an absolute embarrassment. There is just no excuses for this.

Juuro

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2006
Germany
This has to be a joke, right?
Speeds when roaming are terrible.
I can't confirm that. Within the EU the speed is always as fast as the signal allows. Just recently tested that in Italy and Austria and also in the past years in the Netherlands, France, Poland, Spain, Portugal, Sweden, Finland, Estland, Lithuania, Latvia and also in the UK it worked fine before they left.

Damian83

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2011
Okay let’s say you live in Texas, but you need to travel to New Mexico to pick up your birth control prescription. But your phone plan only covers Texas, so you’re hit with roaming charges as soon as you use data across the border.

So how is it a bad thing for consumers that there is a regulating authority which stops this from happening?

FWIW I pay €20 a month for 12 GB of data and 150 minutes of voice. I can go to Germany or Denmark or Italy and not pay any extra roaming charges. It just works. It’s good for everyone.
Seriously u pay 20€ for that or it was just an example???

NightFox

macrumors 68040
May 10, 2005
Shropshire, UK
I ended up getting a PAYG SIM from o2 just to have a UK number and use my french SIM for everything else. Mobile providers in the UK are an absolute embarrassment. There is just no excuses for this.

Really? I'm paying O2 £18/month for 100GB data, unlimited texts, unlimited minutes, EU roaming and international roaming, which covers many major countries (USA, Australia, UAE etc).

Reactions: Kris28 and Jammers

Robin Bonathan

macrumors regular
Aug 13, 2020

I live in Spain, had text earlier in week to say if I am in UK from 27/7 I will have to pay roaming fees :-(
Rip off, no need for it other than money grab.

Reactions: Kris28 and Floop

Psychicbob

Cancelled
Oct 2, 2018
The thing is, this is just a simple example that even the dumb dumbs can understand.

Big Bloc A introduces a rule that instructs all companies to follow. Said companies comply with rule, but instead of having two products, they have just the one that complied with new rule. Little Country B doesn’t like this rule. Big Bloc A does not give a hoot what Little Country B thinks. Little Country B used to able to influence Big Bloc A and punch above its weight. Little Country B left Big Bloc A and now no one gives a sheet what they thing. Big Bloc A continues with the world status it always had. Little Country B has taken back control, by giving up a lot of control.

Trebles all round!
You’re still missing the key reasons. Being in control of laws and not being dictated to by faceless, unelected bureaucrats. Some things won’t be as good, I.e. roaming charges, unless they can also be negotiated of course. Key fundamentals, such as sovereignty, will be positive. The number of times I’ve been lectured for voting Brexit because someone has to get a pet passport….. It beggars belief that people use these insignificant criteria to decide how they are going to vote on something as hard-fought for as sovereignty.

BuffaloTF

macrumors 68000
Jun 10, 2008

ok, both his items were completely unrelated to one another, and just pointless in both regards.

But... 20 Euro for that??? That's like a 1999 plan for a lot of money and all we're ever told is how much better your plans are. $30- unlimited talk, text, data, 50 gigs of hotspot, and unlimited international roaming - 5 gigs at full 5G speed.

Reactions: centauratlas

arkitect

macrumors 604
Sep 5, 2005
Bath, United Kingdom
Many budget networks – giffgaff, Tesco Mobile, Asda Mobile, ID Mobile, SMARTY, Plusnet Mobile and Lebara – still include EU roaming for no extra charge in their plans. But there’s usually a fair usage policy in place, which limits the amount of data you can use while you’re away.

And bigger names like O2, BT Mobile and Virgin Mobile also allow you to use your plan in Europe as you would back home, without having to pay more.
Link

This is the reason I am on Smarty.
5G and EU roaming…
Buy my iPhone outright and I can change my contract on a rolling 30 days.

The days of the 24 month contracts are numbered…

rictus007

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2011

Not a good example, ATT and T-mobile (not sure about Verizon) offers free roaming at Canada and Mexico. No gov intervention required; market self regulated based on its customers. About abortion? I don’t know

Reactions: centauratlas

arkitect

macrumors 604
Sep 5, 2005
Bath, United Kingdom
You’re still missing the key reasons. Being in control of laws and not being dictated to by faceless, unelected bureaucrats. Some things won’t be as good, I.e. roaming charges, unless they can also be negotiated of course. Key fundamentals, such as sovereignty, will be positive. The number of times I’ve been lectured for voting Brexit because someone has to get a pet passport….. It beggars belief that people use these insignificant criteria to decide how they are going to vote on something as hard-fought for as sovereignty.
What exactly did we gain?

Apart from yah know "Freedumz Yeah! Go Engerland! Blitz Spirit and god save the queen?"

I mean, what exactly did we gain from this cluster ****?

Excellent. Great for people in the EU.
Rejoin! 🇬🇧➡️🇪🇺
Yup. 100%.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.