Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jurmous

macrumors newbie
Aug 5, 2020
Open borders is not a lie
Open borders is a big benefit since in many countries there is a surplus of work for a shortage of workers. In the UK labour shortages are a big problem which is now getting more and more extreme thanks to Brexit.

constructor

macrumors regular
May 15, 2011
Open borders is not a lie
Yes, it just doesn't apply to people from the UK any more since they have lost their EU citizenship with Brexit.

And it doesn't apply to people from any other third country either: To them borders are still an absolute reality even within the EU, and even more so when entering the EU!

Only we EU citizens have free passage and freedom of work and domicile all across the EU.

The new country can still require us to prove that we can provide for ourselves beyond a short visit, which the UK government back then just chose to forgo while other countries did indeed establish such rules.

That's another piece of information that never got through to you, isn't it...?

ForkHandles

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2012
Speeds when roaming are terrible. VPN tunnel back to home network (they still need to sell your data wherever you are) and foreign network bandwidth allocations are parts of the problem. I doubt these tricks will ever be regulated.

Three UK Roaming on Optus Australia not only is restricted to 3G but is practically useless for browsing an Australian website because of the 4 trips across the planet. Get about 5K/s.

Local sims are still a necessity. Looks like esim apps are making this easier, not that it's ever been a chore going in a airport newsstand when arriving though.
That hasn't been my experience. I have an iPhone 12 with a UK sim and a French eSim. Often when one is bad the other is too. They are both 5G capable but across France connection to a good data point is highly variable. When the French eSim does get 5G the data pipe is excellent.

Psychicbob

Cancelled
Oct 2, 2018
Yes, it just doesn't apply to people from the UK any more since they have lost their EU citizenship with Brexit.

And it doesn't apply to people from any other third country either: To them borders are still an absolute reality even within the EU, and even more so when entering the EU!

Only we EU citizens have free passage and freedom of work and domicile all across the EU.

The new country can still require us to prove that we can provide for ourselves beyond a short visit, which the UK government back then just chose to forgo while other countries did indeed establish such rules.

That's another piece of information that never got through to you, isn't it...?
Not at all. I understand the intricacies of the EU. I just don’t agree with it. Anyway, you’ll get your way when it gets overturned.

• Haha
Reactions: LinusR and Knavel

constructor

macrumors regular
May 15, 2011
Not at all. I understand the intricacies of the EU.
You seem completely confused and you're only dropping prefabbed pieces of Brexit propaganda without apparently understanding anything about the actual facts.

I just don’t agree with it. Anyway, you’ll get your way when it gets overturned.
When what "is overturned" in your fever dreams...?

ForkHandles

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2012
Individual countries are forced to accept mass immigration. We are at polar ends of the political spectrum and will never agree on this topic.
@constructor Psychic Bob reads the Daily Mail/Express/Telegraph/Sun. Go easy on him! He genuinely believes every word he reads from the hate filled rag. You won't be able to argue with psychic bob as he believes, as passionately as you do, every political position he holds.
That fact that he is steered by the words of newspapers belonging to billionaire friends of our government is not an argument that will work for him.
It's also possible that Bob is a bot, they get everywhere!

ForkHandles

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2012
Let me give a example of how this "no roaming fees" works in the EU. I don't live in the EU but I am on holiday there. I got a 250GB prepaid SIM for 35 EUR and asked if I can use the GBs in the rest of the EU (they last 3 months, then expire). Well it seems that I can only use 22.8 GB in other countries, which is based on the price I paid (25EUR, not counting the 10EUR for the SIM card), not on how many GBs I have... (by the way I had to buy through a friend since they only do this for EU residents, foreigners cannot benefit from "no roaming").
If it helps next time. I bought an 5G eSim online from free.fr (France) 121Gb data, 40Gb outside France for one month. I am not an EU resident either.

Reactions: Digitalguy

Psychicbob

Cancelled
Oct 2, 2018
@constructor Psychic Bob reads the Daily Mail/Express/Telegraph/Sun. Go easy on him! He genuinely believes every word he reads from the hate filled rag. You won't be able to argue with psychic bob as he believes, as passionately as you do, every political position he holds.
That fact that he is steered by the words of newspapers belonging to billionaire friends of our government is not an argument that will work for him.
It's also possible that Bob is a bot, they get everywhere!
Ad hominem attack

BuffaloTF

macrumors 68000
Jun 10, 2008
So 30$ for 5GB in 5G? That‘s so Y2K…
That person has for 20€ 12Gb in 4G/5G and unlimited data at a lower speed after that. Most european plans have unlimited data (with lower speed when you monthly allowance is over).

5 gigs of data at 5G speed basically everywhere in the world. Unlimited after that.

Completely unlimited data in the US, no slowdowns. Canada and Mexico are roam like home in all regards, just a slowdown point on the data.

Psychicbob

Cancelled
Oct 2, 2018
You seem completely confused and you're only dropping prefabbed pieces of Brexit propaganda without apparently understanding anything about the actual facts.

When what "is overturned" in your fever dreams...?
Brexit will likely be overturned because, if there’s one thing the EU and Globalists don’t like, it’s a democratic vote that didn’t go their way

ForkHandles

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2012
Ad hominem attack
With respect it wasn't intended as an attack. More as an example of my experience in chatting to people who believe that the significant economic damage to our economy and reduction of our personal liberties was a price worth paying for 'no mentionable benefit' . I apologise if I have offended you by incorrectly characterising your type.

Psychicbob

Cancelled
Oct 2, 2018
Hope so, but it will also be decided with a democratic vote of some kind. So, no Problem, right?
Well, Eire were made to vote 3 times until the “right” result was achieved. Then, it was made so there would not be another vote. Now, you might agree with this approach if you end up with the result you wanted. One day though, you’ll be on the other side of the fence, and you won’t like it.

• Disagree
Reactions: constructor

ItsASpider

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2021
Not at all. I understand the intricacies of the EU. I just don’t agree with it. Anyway, you’ll get your way when it gets overturned.
You understand "the intricacies of the EU" yet you don't understand what the border policy within the EU is and actually does because you clearly seem to believe it has something to do with "forced mass migration" which it absolutely does not. The 1 example you believe you have and you don't even know what it is. It isn't "forced" upon anyone, never mind on a "mass". Where you live within the EU is your own choice.

And for the record, the open border policy of the Schengen Area only applies to EU citizens and visa holders. Not to refugees which is clearly the racist rhetoric you think you're going for. And yeah; refugees are during a crisis (emphasis on crisis, because otherwise this doesn't even happen) moved between all countries within the EU because these countries have decided that solidarity is something they should partake in. And yes, the people that are selected to be moved to other countries during a crisis don't in general have a choice or say in that because to them the borders of countries within the EU are closed.

tl:dr; the 1 example you give is just a complete misunderstanding of the example you you're giving and the situation you seem to imply you're talking about is the exact opposite of it.

"I understand the intricacies of the EU". pff

Well, Eire were made to vote 3 times until the “right” result was achieved. Then, it was made so there would not be another vote. Now, you might agree with this approach if you end up with the result you wanted. One day though, you’ll be on the other side of the fence, and you won’t like it.
May I point out that not only was the Brexit referrendum the second time that that referendum had been done in the UK, but also that the Leave parties said that if Leave didn't win, they'd just do it again?

ForkHandles

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2012
I was right! You do believe everything the billionaires tell you! My commiserations to you.

Doodah7

macrumors member
Aug 19, 2016
First USB-C, now this. When will the EU ever stop it’s anti-consumer overreach that stops companies innovating.
How does a PRO-consumer initiative like allowing roaming in another country for FREE come across to you as anti-consumer?? How? Or is your obsession with shilling for corporate industry blinding you to the obvious?

This has nothing to do with innovation. You are conflating two completely different things to try make a comment. All you have done is make yourself look ill-informed. Embarrassed for you!

Doodah7

macrumors member
Aug 19, 2016
Where is this Eire you speak of?? I live in Ireland and I know that we voted in a number of Constitutional referendums. I'm not sure if this Eire place did the same or why they would if they are not in the EU.

constructor

macrumors regular
May 15, 2011
Brexit will likely be overturned because, if there’s one thing the EU and Globalists don’t like, it’s a democratic vote that didn’t go their way
Brexit cannot be "overturned" since it has truly and completely destroyed the UK's EU membership. It's done and over. (Just the fallout keeps mounting.)

The only path for the UK back into the EU is now a completely fresh accession process under the much tougher accession rules of the day compared to the comparatively lax ones back in the 1970s.

But since one precondition is stable political and popular support for accession this will likely have to wait until most of the people steeped in toxic Brexit propaganda will have died off and the dire consequences have become entirely unmissable, even with eyes pinched shut.

erikkfi

macrumors 68000
May 19, 2017
Curse those overbearing EU regulators. Don't they know they're stifling innovation -- or something -- by not letting network operators collect excess profit? If the free market wanted no roaming charges, the free market would demand it!

Riku45100

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2021
I pay €25 a month in Finland and all Scandinavian & Baltics are home networks and in the rest of Europe I get 30Gb of roaming data and 500 international minutes.

constructor

macrumors regular
May 15, 2011
You seem to be under the impression that Eire didn’t have to vote 3 times. Oh, and the billionaires are on your side, not mine
The proposal was changed in response to the initial rejection by the voters, then they were asked about the modified proposal and indeed accepted it in that modified form.

Democracy at work as it should be, actually!

Doodah7

macrumors member
Aug 19, 2016
I pay €25 a month in Finland and all Scandinavian & Baltics are home networks and in the rest of Europe I get 30Gb of roaming data and 500 international minutes.
I pay €15 per month for unlimited calls, texts and 5G data of which 30GB can be used in the EU per month.

ForkHandles

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2012
You seem to be under the impression that Eire didn’t have to vote 3 times. Oh, and the billionaires are on your side, not mine
Assuming you’re not trolling.

Ireland voted once and rejected. The government went back renegotiated, it was rejected again. They renegotiated again, it was accepted. THE DEAL THEY ACCEPTED WAS NOT THE ONE THEY REJECTED!

What is it about democracy you find so oppressive?

Psychicbob

Cancelled
Oct 2, 2018
Brexit cannot be "overturned" since it has truly and completely destroyed the UK's EU membership. It's done and over. (Just the fallout keeps mounting.)

The only path for the UK back into the EU is now a completely fresh accession process under the much tougher accession rules of the day compared to the comparatively lax ones back in the 1970s.

But since one precondition is stable political and popular support for accession this will likely have to wait until most of the people steeped in toxic Brexit propaganda will have died off and the dire consequences have become entirely unmissable, even with eyes pinched shut.
and the same you, Sir

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.