Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jsmith1

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 6, 2010
….model? I’m now believing that even numbered models seem better to me…be curious to be in some R&D meetings to really know behind the scenes planning’s.

• Haha
Reactions: BugeyeSTI

VertPin

macrumors 6502a
Nov 12, 2015
Sure, 4 years ago. Now they just jump straight to the next number.
how are you so sure of this? the iphones since the x have all become pretty iterative. defining a generation of odd numbered iphones (including xs) in your case doesn't really make sense.

Reactions: Allen_Wentz

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
how are you so sure of this? the iphones since the x have all become pretty iterative. defining a generation of odd numbered iphones (including xs) in your case doesn't really make sense.

It's always going to be a guess, but it seems to be aligning that way. I don't see how anyone wouldn't consider the 15 a "s" style upgrade.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
It's always going to be a guess, but it seems to be aligning that way. I don't see how anyone wouldn't consider the 15 a "s" style upgrade.
Assuming the 15 is an 'S' upgrade, it doesn't seem to be doing as well as previous 'S' models. If reports on MacRumors are any indication.

KOTN91

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2017
The 15 non pro is the biggest upgrade in years, with several new features (what exactly did the 14 have!?) including the dynamic island which is technically a redesign/new design paradigm and the most innovative new feature since those featured on the X. So not sure what you are talking about

Reactions: LinusR

shady16

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2019
Sure, 4 years ago. Now they just jump straight to the next number. 16 is rumored to be a redesign and 17 will be essentially be a 16s.
the 15 was a redesign. the 16's will be the same design just a little bit bigger. if apple sticks to there track record then the next redesign wont be until the 18.

Reactions: dwreck

klasma

macrumors 603
Jun 8, 2017
….model? I’m now believing that even numbered models seem better to me…be curious to be in some R&D meetings to really know behind the scenes planning’s.
The 13 was certainly more of an S upgrade, but the 14 and 15 are both rather an S and a half, I’d say. The 12 was the last “full” upgrade. The 16 also appears to be an S and a half, based on current rumors. I think Apple dropped the S scheme so they can do just whatever they want from one year to the next.

NdTonks

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2021
In my opinion 15 is not an S upgrade. It’s an entirely new body on it with the Pro series. It’s closer to an S upgrade than in the past but I think it has enough upgrades to not be an S. I believe the 13 to 14 was more of an S update personally

Reactions: Allen_Wentz

Allen_Wentz

macrumors 68030
Dec 3, 2016
USA
I came from 14 Pro to 15 Pro Max and I do not "consider the 15 a "s" style upgrade." Just the Titanium alloy exoskeleton and the action button alone make the 15 much more than an s style upgrade.

FYI my 14-->15 observations as posted in another thread:
After a week with the 15 Pro Max there is no way I would go back to the 14 Pro.
1) Mostly the 15 PM feels smoother operationally. Real world the 15 PM feels faster, but I have not tested whether or not it is objectively faster.
2) I went from 14P to 15 PM and again, the 15 PM feels good in hand. It does not feel bigger/clunkier even though it provides hella more display real estate.
3) Sound is clearly superior.
4) The action button is a huge improvement in UI for me. I have it set for the camera, and it rocks.
5) Photo capture is quicker and easier. I do not know how much of this is the larger display coming from a 14 or how much is due to iOS 17, but the 15 PM presents clear improvement to me. I constantly capture images for work purposes and for personal so any improvement is a big deal.
6) The display seems improved. That might just be because of my perception coming from the 14P to the larger display of the 15 PM, but I don't think it is.
7) The image captures from the 15 PM are real-world better in addition to being easier to capture.
8) Battery life of the 15 PM is clearly superior to that of the 14 P in my daily workflow. However battery of the 14 P was fine so the 15 PM is simply more fine.
9) The 15 PM presents as less hot than the 14 P does in my daily workflow. This was a surprise because I expected the 15 to behave similarly to the 14.
10) I like the look and feel of the Natural Titanium alloy exoskeleton and expect it to perform well over time like the Apple Watch Ultra Ti alloy has.
11) Facial ID seems faster and more consistent by a small bit.

There are no doubt other improvements that I simply have not noticed yet. The only negative that I have found is that the synch between the AW Ultra and the 15 PM is misbehaving a bit. Sometimes the AWU does not present an alarm going off that was set on the phone. This never happened on the 14 P, and may be an iOS 17 artifact (the 14 P never had iOS 17 installed).

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
yet another conspiracy theory ...

you are of course free to believe whatever you want ...

Reactions: 3Rock

bodonnell202

macrumors 68030
Jan 5, 2016
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I don't know that the logic that you could apply when they were still doing S cycle phones really counts anymore. Back then it was pretty consistent that you got either a new design with lesser internal upgrades, or the same design with generally bigger jumps in performance/camera quality. That kind of fell apart starting at the 7 as it became more like a 3 year cycle, but with mostly iterative changes each year. I don't feel like you are better off getting even or odd numbered iPhones if you typically upgrade every other year.

Reactions: Spotlighter9

Spotlighter9

macrumors regular
Apr 28, 2021
As the iPhone is now a mature product, the notion that it even still has an "s" iteration used during the times of the initial 2 year product development cycles is reaching at best. The key now is profitability, with Apple likely hoping to get 3-4 cycles out of each new chassis design to increase profitability....any shorter, profits drop off due to more limited economies of scale/any longer, sales drop off due to staleness of design. I expect this new crop of curved edged iPhones to stay with us for a few years, getting speed bumps and new colors to keep us interested along the way.

Last edited:

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009
Or, maybe, there's no a pattern and some models are just better or worse than others regardless of their place in the release cycle?

Wando64

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2013
The best ones are prime numbers, so the next one will be the iPhone 17

Reactions: cogzero

JBinPDX

macrumors 6502
Oct 19, 2021
I usually skip even numbers. My brother usually skips odd numbers. We both usually have phone envy on alternate years. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

MarkNewton2023

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2023
It does not matter even or odd numbers, each year, iPhone is perfected. Keep calm and no overthinking 😊 The only party knows the reason is Apple. Being curious is good. There are other things that can be learned for personal development than things that is not valuable to think about. 😊 life is too short to spend our minds on no value matter. 😊

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.