Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

krspkbl

macrumors 68020
Jul 20, 2012
I see the 15 series as an "S" revision. You could name it 14S.

The iPhone 16 or "15" next year will be a bigger update with larger screens and possibly the pro (or Ultra) models sticking the Face ID sensors under the display.

I was going to hold off another year until the iPhone 16 before upgrading but I don't want to jump in with big updates. Absolute earliest I'll think about upgrading is the iPhone 17 but I will probably just wait for the 18 or 19.

• Haha
Reactions: BugeyeSTI

Lounge vibes 05

macrumors 68040
May 30, 2016
Odd numbers have now become the "S" variant.
What you meant to say was…
“All numbers have now become the "S" variant.”
Because that’s really what’s happened.
In the last five years, the only upgrade that can even be compared to the upgrade from the 3GS to the 4 or the 4S to the 5 is the 11 series to the 12 series.
That brought the squared off design to the entire lineup, OLED across the entire lineup, 5G across the entire lineup, MagSafe across the entire lineup, and so on.
The XS/XR/11 series were just continuations of the original X, and the 13/14/15 have just been continuations of the 12 era design with some nice improvements here and there.

I think Apple dropped the S scheme so they can do just whatever they want from one year to the next.
well, there’s that, there’s also the fact that there’s really no such thing as an “S” upgrade anymore, because that can mostly apply to all of them.
But also the iPhone 14S Pro Max (or would it be the iPhone 14 Pro S Max?) probably wasn’t the easiest name to market.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.