Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

How many Apple Watch bands do you own? OEM only.

• One band only.

Votes: 422 16.8%
  • 2/4

Votes: 903 36.0%
  • 5/8

Votes: 505 20.1%
  • 9/12

Votes: 171 6.8%
  • 12/15

Votes: 98 3.9%
  • 16/20

Votes: 71 2.8%
  • more than 20

Votes: 210 8.4%
  • more than 50

Votes: 61 2.4%
  • more than 100

Votes: 29 1.2%
  • more than 200

Votes: 25 1.0%
  • more than 250

Votes: 4 0.2%
  • more than 300

Votes: 3 0.1%
  • more than 400

Votes: 1 0.0%
  • more than 500

Votes: 2 0.1%
  • more than 600

Votes: 3 0.1%

• Total voters

onenorth

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2021
There is the possibility that if the connector changes, Apple will continue to sell some bands with the current connector and some with the new connector. In other words, they may not discontinue the current connector entirely.

I prefer the braided solo loops for comfort but they stretch out and need to be replaced after a while. I would be surprised if Apple leaves all of us high and dry with no bands at all.

Clarke_G

macrumors 6502
Jun 2, 2020
As much as I have a small collection of OEM bands myself, I would gladly accept the new connectors if the sell you like "new magnetic bands made possibile 72 hrs battery life on a regular 41 mm watch instead of the current 18 hrs.". Small sacrifice, big gain. If they change connectors just for the sake of it they only have to loose.

jags828

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2013
I just want to be able to use my Nike Chlorine Blue/Green Glow band on the new watch. Either that or make a new one that works with the new connector. I'm assuming you would be able to use the straps that have lug connectors by buying new compatible lugs and swapping them out. Kind of like some do with the SS hardware to SBSS hardware on the Hermes watches.

Reactions: mikedop

chipsandsalsa

macrumors 6502
Aug 13, 2020
As a collector, my take on the 'connector' dilemma is that my old watches will continue to operator with the bands in perpetuity - or for as long as I choose to keep them.

Now for a 'new' connector itself, I can see 2 things happening.

1) I can see that if Apple DOES decide to release a new connector, it will not be a full line-up refresh to connector. It may be that a S10 "NEW" watch with new connector will be at the top of the stack - much like how for a year or so Apple offered dynamic island on only the top of the line phone.

Eventually it can trickle down to say, the SE watch etc. What watches will be offered this new connector? Who knows. Hermes? SS models? ULRTA? Shrug.

2) If Apple keeps the band connector type, I can see that they offer higher functionality bands that ONLY work with the S10 watch that has a newer internal connector on the BODY that works with these newer bands. They may even connect to older watches but will lack the ability to communicate with the S10 body.

I think this would allow for more expensive, purpose specific watch bands that track or have additional features. Also allows some of the cost to be offloaded from the watch and spread out to the bands with these functions.

Just my 2c.

athousandbands

macrumors G3
Jun 5, 2019
Discord
Raspberry braided solo loop
1710286980208.png

Arcontia

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2017
My trusty S6 Titanium 40mm at 3.5 years is old is not only slowing down but also the battery life is failing as well, struggling to make it through the day with a 81% capacity.

I have as such started to think about its future replacement. I’ve always loved Titanium however this isn’t offered on the standard Apple Watches anymore. Hence I’m now considering an Ultra 2, for that but also the upgraded screen, the 3 day battery life, the action button, the ruggedness for the outdoorsy person I am…

Do you guys think it looks too big on my wrist or nah? I’m seriously considering the Ultra 2 as a replacement, also factoring in rumours suggesting the Ultra might not get a new model released this year.

For relevance to this specific thread, here’s an Ultra 2 with the Cornflower Sport Band, released in summer 2019. And a very interesting data point, this Sport Band is of the smaller 40mm, you can see a lug mismatch for the 49mm Ultra 2 but it’s honestly trivial and I would be happy to let this pass and be able to keep using my old bands on the Ultra.

IMG_3423.jpeg

IMG_3424.jpeg

One of the Ultra bands I tried on with it at the store.

IMG_3422.jpeg

Clarke_G

macrumors 6502
Jun 2, 2020
My trusty S6 Titanium 40mm at 3.5 years is old is not only slowing down but also the battery life is failing as well, struggling to make it through the day with a 81% capacity.

I have as such started to think about its future replacement. I’ve always loved Titanium however this isn’t offered on the standard Apple Watches anymore. Hence I’m now considering an Ultra 2, for that but also the upgraded screen, the 3 day battery life, the action button, the ruggedness for the outdoorsy person I am…

Do you guys think it looks too big on my wrist or nah? I’m seriously considering the Ultra 2 as a replacement, also factoring in rumours suggesting the Ultra might not get a new model released this year.

For relevance to this specific thread, here’s an Ultra 2 with the Cornflower Sport Band, released in summer 2019. And a very interesting data point, this Sport Band is of the smaller 40mm, you can see a lug mismatch for the 49mm Ultra 2 but it’s honestly trivial and I would be happy to let this pass and be able to keep using my old bands on the Ultra.

View attachment 2360630

View attachment 2360629

View attachment 2360631
it doesn't look too big from our perspective, just from yours, because you're used to a 40 mm watch and 49 mm is a big jump. You just need to get used to it. You might wanna wait til September though? Maybe with the Apple Watch X redesign they're gonna offer the Titanium version again. The Ultra is not too big on you, but it's just a very different watch, a very different look, a very different style. If you liked the classic Apple Watch look, you need to like the Ultra design as well.

mikedop

macrumors 603
Dec 30, 2019
Oklahoma

View attachment 2360630

View attachment 2360629

View attachment 2360631
that band gap is a crime

bandcandy

macrumors newbie
Mar 16, 2024
The ultra doesn’t look too big to me, but I have a small wrist and prefer the bigger watches anyway.

Got a nice pic in the morning light. My light pink is a little stained, but finding one at all for a good price was too tempting. I’m not sure what to attempt to clean it, since I worry about damaging the finish.

IMG_2394.jpeg

Orangeman13

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2015

View attachment 2360630

View attachment 2360629

View attachment 2360631
I think it looks good on you!

• Love
Reactions: Arcontia

Y903211

macrumors regular
Feb 20, 2021
Germany
The ultra doesn’t look too big to me, but I have a small wrist and prefer the bigger watches anyway.

Got a nice pic in the morning light. My light pink is a little stained, but finding one at all for a good price was too tempting. I’m not sure what to attempt to clean it, since I worry about damaging the finish.

View attachment 2360715
Dish soap and dirt eraser/melamine sponge works perfectly. Has never disappointed me. You should only be careful with the prints (size/mm).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.