Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Businessweek has an interesting article about an emerging concept called Everywhere Internet Audio (EIA):

Imagine, if you will, an iPod as a wireless digital ladle. It would dip into a nearly bottomless stream of continual music, scooping up any song you wanted, when you wanted, where you wanted.

The author speculates that Apple would be a prime candidate to deploy this sort of technology, but also claims that it is an "ill-kept secret that Apple is trying to figure out how to add wireless Internet connectivity to the iPod."

Article Link: Everywhere Internet Audio and Wireless Apple iPod?

Last edited:

Freg3000

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2002
New York
Seems to me that being the first, smallest, and best all at once is not a possibility. In order to add wireless connectivity to the iPod, it will need to become a bit larger. So then the iPod would not be as small. That is, unless they wait until others try and fail, and then they wouldn't be first. Either of these two would might jeopardize the iPod being the best MP3 player out there.

Then again, this is Apple. If anyone can do it, Apple can. :D

But if they can't...don't try.

kainjow

Moderator emeritus
Jun 15, 2000
iTMS within iPod

Just imagine:

You're on your iPod...you select Browse and then can choose Local or Music Store. Selecting Music Store, you can then browse the iTunes Music Store on your iPod and Preview each song, lookup info about album, artist, etc. Then you can Buy it directly from your iPod.

Your account would be setup through iTunes on your computer so you're automatically logged on with your iPod.

So basically get music wherever you are. Why be stuck to your computer to buy music?

This is what I would want.

sososowhat

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2003
Palo Alto, CA
On-demand radio

:cool:I've often talked about this sort of thing with friends.

What one really wants isn't "bits on disk". One wants any music, anywhere, any time.

Essentially, it's on-demand radio. You can listen to anything on demand.

The iPod itself would be used not only as a place to plug your headphones, but to store playlists (of music you don't keep on it) and as a general communications device.

Ultimately, this goes beyond music, to video (a sort of portable tivo) and other sorts of information-on-demand.

xDANx

macrumors member
Feb 8, 2003
Montreal, QC
Re: iTMS within iPod

Originally posted by kainjow
Just imagine:

You're on your iPod...you select Browse and then can choose Local or Music Store. Selecting Music Store, you can then browse the iTunes Music Store on your iPod and Preview each song, lookup info about album, artist, etc. Then you can Buy it directly from your iPod.

Your account would be setup through iTunes on your computer so you're automatically logged on with your iPod.

So basically get music wherever you are. Why be stuck to your computer to buy music?

This is what I would want.

you're forgetting that you can't copy music from an ipod to a computer (unless you're using firewire target disk mode, but then you can't listen to anything)...so songs bought and downloaded directly to the ipod would be stuck there...you'd lose everything if you did so much as update the ipod software.

Chealion

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2003
Calgary, Alberta
Isn't it possible, it could be set up on say a subscription type basis? It would be your radio station on your special new iPod, as you pay say $10/month to get any music you want that will stream onto your iPod, and since the music is only streamed on the iPod, for the whor errr RIAA, there is no chance for the average consumer to be copying songs and redistributing them. It would be cool, but I really doubt it would fly, as in many places, there just aren't enough WAPs available. Or will it go together with 802.16a? A 30 mile range could make this work quite well.

Jerry Spoon

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2002
Historic St. Charles
What if instead of a subscription to a service, it could access your music off of your computer at home and stream it to you. This is possible now from computer to computer. It would be cool to do it from computer to iPod. Cooler if you could also access ITMS (through your computer? That would probably lag a lot) and get music that way too.

Can you tell I really don't like the idea of a subscription service?

iPC

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2003
East Windsor, CT
Originally posted by Freg3000
Seems to me that being the first, smallest, and best all at once is not a possibility. In order to add wireless connectivity to the iPod, it will need to become a bit larger. So then the iPod would not be as small. That is, unless they wait until others try and fail, and then they wouldn't be first. Either of these two would might jeopardize the iPod being the best MP3 player out there.

Then again, this is Apple. If anyone can do it, Apple can. :D

But if they can't...don't try.
This is no different from when the iPod was released. It was not first, it did not have the most storage, and it is not smallest of the portable mp3 players (solid state are much smaller). What the iPod was, and still is, better. Smaller hdd, firewire connectivity, and a slick interface. This is no longer unique, but at the time it was, and allowed Apple to muscle into a huge share of a burgeoning niche.

Today, wireless is a issue. Once 802.11g on a chip is done smaller, with less power needed, the iPod will have some sort of built in antenna (probably surrounding perimeter of the frame) connected to all in one 802.11g chip. Bluetooth is to slow, with a very limited range. Capability to update the database while playing songs would be nice...

This iPod as a ladle thing will not work until there is a continuous wireless network throughout the US (and elsewhere of course) that is reliable, and fast. I am thinking something like 4G (my guess for a name of what is to replace the 3G network that is just now getting to the US, and already showing its limitations in places like Japan). It is a moot point until there is a network in place that can handle the bandwidth required, as well as the necessary coverage (worldwide would be best).

This all sounds more and more like a Star Trek type thing... I love it! Next thing you know there might be rumblings about a true world government.

moosecat

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2002
Re: Everywhere Internet Audio and Wireless Apple iPod?

Originally posted by Macrumors
The author ... claims that it is an "ill-kept secret that Apple is trying to figure out how to add wireless Internet connectivity to the iPod."

Dang, they kept it a secret from me. Maybe I've missed some items here or there, but I didn't know that it was so clear that Apple was trying to do that.

greenstork

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2003
Seattle,WA
Really, that last thing I want is to pay a subscription or even per song fee so that I can rent music. I just think the whole system is useless if you can't own the music. Now if I could sample the song for $0.05 and buy it for $0.99, then they might be on to something. I'd pay a nickel or $0.20 an album to check it out and see if I like it before purchasing but never being able to own the music is a super lame idea that will never fly.

Call me crazy, but the music companies could really avoid piracy if they just started pricing their CD's lower. They don't need to make 1000% profit or whatever they earn. A $6-10 CD would eliminate a lot of pirating and probably sell a lot more music. That's my wacky idea.

Sonofhaig

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2003
Greenvale, NY
Originally posted by kcmac
Same article.

Yes. I don't like the idea though. I want to "own" and keep what I download.
Not just have it until expiration date. The entertainment world wants to do this with DVD too. It'll never fly.......

jessefoxperry

macrumors member
Jun 20, 2003
Re: Re: iTMS within iPod

Originally posted by xDANx
you're forgetting that you can't copy music from an ipod to a computer (unless you're using firewire target disk mode, but then you can't listen to anything)...so songs bought and downloaded directly to the ipod would be stuck there...you'd lose everything if you did so much as update the ipod software.

I'd imagine if they came out with the technology of being able to download songs from iMS straight to your ipod, there would be a way you could get them back on your mac. Like just the songs you've downloaded to your ipod can be brought back and forth between your mac and ipod, but the others stay on your ipod to prevent piracy.

lmalave

macrumors 68000
Nov 8, 2002
Chinatown NYC
Originally posted by Sonofhaig
Yes. I don't like the idea though. I want to "own" and keep what I download.
Not just have it until expiration date. The entertainment world wants to do this with DVD too. It'll never fly.......

I think there's a huge market for it. It's just another way to listen to music. If you want to buy music and own it, then go ahead. Think about all the different ways we can consume movies now, for example:

- Watch it in the theater
- Buy the DVD
- Watch it on cable via video-on-demand
- Watch it on cable via a movie channel like HBO or Showtime

All this article's proposed product would do is add a model for music similar to the video-on-demand model that already exists in a lot of cable markets (NYC included). That doesn't mean that I still can't go out and buy a movie if I want to own it.

sparky76

macrumors regular
Jul 2, 2003
Don't get too hung up about not being able to transfer files from ipod to computer - that was put in place to keep the music companies on board. If this takes off like the itms has, apple can effectively dictate terms - either allow over-the-air sales with rights to copy back to mac, or face the piracy consequences.

dongmin

macrumors 68000
Jan 3, 2002
Re: Re: Re: iTMS within iPod

Originally posted by jessefoxperry
I'd imagine if they came out with the technology of being able to download songs from iMS straight to your ipod, there would be a way you could get them back on your mac. Like just the songs you've downloaded to your ipod can be brought back and forth between your mac and ipod, but the others stay on your ipod to prevent piracy.

This is actually not that hard.

As others have already noted, iTunes at one point could stream music over the entire internet. (Now it's only possible over a local network.) So, in theory, as long as there is a reliable wireless connection, a wi-fi equiped iPod (or any portable device for that matter) could play the music stored on your computer. With this method, you wouldn't even need a hard-drive. The only real technical difficulties I see are:

1. A reliable high-bandwidth wi-fi network, which is probably years and years away.

2. Making sure only the authorized iPod can access the tunes stored on your home base computer.

The issue of putting in a wireless capability into a player isn't a big deal, in my opinion. Since everything would be streamed, you wouldn't need a storage mechanism.

I don't think the article's author has a clue about Apple's plans. As far as I know, there hasn't been any serious rumors about a wireless ipod. It's just a fantasy a lot of people have.

Snowy_River

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2002
Corvallis, OR
Re: On-demand radio

While I know this is only my opinion, and it doesn't necessarily invalidate the idea, I know that I wouldn't want to use this service. Two reasons:

First, if the iPod were to become a WiFi subscription device, rather than a MP3/AAC storage device, then I couldn't listen to some of the more exotic music in my own collection (as most of it doesn't exist through the iTMS).

Second, again, if the iPod weren't a storage device, then I'd be limited to using it where there was service, and one of my primary uses of my iPod is for traveling tunes, whether I'm driving down the freeway, or hiking deep into the mountains.

MacRETARD

macrumors newbie
Jan 3, 2003
No ones said it yet

Remember a while back rumors were going around about wireless on the ipod. The rumor (as I remember) was to have bluetooth on the ipod and use rendezvous to detect local ipods and be able to share playlists of people close to you.

Seems like a cool feature, but how much would it really be used? Blue tooth uses a lot less power and uses a smaller chip so it could probably go into the ipod now without making it bigger.

In order to use 802.11x they would have to increase the size quite a bit and to use cell phone technology (cdpd, gprs, etc..)they would have to charge a monthly fee to access the carrier network so I dont see either of these happening any time soon.

SiliconAddict

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2003
Chicago, IL
You heard it here first! ;) Or maybe you didn't. :p

Previous Macrumors thread: New iPod Peripherals?

That's an idea. How about direct access to the iTunes store via a WIFI/CDMA/GSM connection. No fancy graphics. Just text based. Browse and download on the go. The software for such a device could easily reside in the ROM of the addon. (Similar to how the phone sleeve for the Compaq iPaq worked.)

Crazy idea? Yep. Still would be kinda cool.

Its still crazy but do-able. I'm wondering if Apple could negotiate some cut rate deals with ATT, Sprint, Verizion, etc that would allow a cheap per MB plan for the above idea? So instead of spending $49.95 per month you spend only the MB you buy. That type of plan is available right now but its spendy but with Apple negotiating the deal well look at the ITMS. No one ever thought the RIAA would ever give into such a thing. Who knows.

skymaXimus

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2003
Originally posted by Jerry Spoon
What if instead of a subscription to a service, it could access your music off of your computer at home and stream it to you. This is possible now from computer to computer. It would be cool to do it from computer to iPod. Cooler if you could also access ITMS (through your computer? That would probably lag a lot) and get music that way too.

Can you tell I really don't like the idea of a subscription service?
Umm ... hello? that is what the iPod already does, only via firewire and not web streaming. Why add another whole layer of complexity that will eventually fall short? I must be misinterpreting your post.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.