Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wms121

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2003
on demand HDTV?

Some of the newer ultrabroadband technology permits huge bandwidth over the air.

Combine that with custom "2000 line" video eyewear/glasses and you could do music videos, full cinema and teevee. One price.

Yahoo has something like this now. The danger is not whether or not 'Apple' will market something, the danger is your local television broadcaster in a small market may go bankrupt if it still uses 'network feeds' over the next several years and does not change its game plan.

One reason Michael Powell is in so much trouble at the FCC is that he defends the old system we have had since the fifties, when you had a small screen and could watch wrestling until 12 midnight.

hmm..

That sounds like now .....hang in there Mr. Mike.

<--wants to watch channeled subspace radio from the Pleiades.

( http://www.billymeier.com <--really 1000 channels from outer
space? )

NavyIntel007

macrumors 65816
Nov 24, 2002
Tampa, FL
How about....

Built-in Mobile XM radio for US markets.
$10/month, 100 stations, no commercials. Only problem would be the antenna.

I think there's a digital radio service in Britain and I'm not sure about Asia and the rest of Europe.

And if only they could double the capacity of bluetooth then we could talk about some bluetooth headphones.

VIREBEL661

macrumors regular
Feb 24, 2003
This would be a foward thinking and plausible solution for the whole RIAA bs... I mean, if you could stream anything, with a small subscrition fee (like XM), why pirate? A new way for the record industry to make money. Then again, they've been extremely greedy for a long time, with little regard to the quality of artists they seem to adopt (which can be used for tax write-offs)....

VIREBEL661

macrumors regular
Feb 24, 2003
Originally posted by greenstork
Call me crazy, but the music companies could really avoid piracy if they just started pricing their CD's lower. They don't need to make 1000% profit or whatever they earn. A $6-10 CD would eliminate a lot of pirating and probably sell a lot more music. That's my wacky idea.

I totally agree - and even at $5, they're still making an exponential profit. Some artists only get PENNIES on cd sales (make most of their money touring, but they also have to pay for expenses out of their pocket, and hope to make a profit)... We all know how cheap it is to manufacture the product. The rest is based on the absolute greed of the record label - it's totally ridiculous..

tizza

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2003
Brisbane, Australia
Re: iTMS within iPod

Originally posted by kainjow
Just imagine:

You're on your iPod...you select Browse and then can choose Local or Music Store. Selecting Music Store, you can then browse the iTunes Music Store on your iPod and Preview each song, lookup info about album, artist, etc. Then you can Buy it directly from your iPod.

Your account would be setup through iTunes on your computer so you're automatically logged on with your iPod.

So basically get music wherever you are. Why be stuck to your computer to buy music?

This is what I would want.

Grrrr forget iTMS in my iPod - I want to be able to buy in my country!!!!:(

hobbes3113

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2002
NYC
Wireless ipod?? Sign me up! The one thing that drives me crazy about mobile audio is the cord that has to be attached to your earphones. I can live without my ipod being able to connect to the net...

Macco

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2003
Re: Everywhere Internet Audio and Wireless Apple iPod?

Originally posted by Macrumors

The author speculates that Apple would be a prime candidate to deploy this sort of technology, but also claims that it is an "ill-kept secret that Apple is trying to figure out how to add wireless Internet connectivity to the iPod."
Right. "Ill-kept secret." Which is why all of the rumor sites have been talking about it.
Not.
I mean please. In the Mac community, even if there's just the slightest whisper of something going on, all of the rumor sites post it in a matter of hours. Not BusinessWeek.

topicolo

macrumors 68000
Jun 4, 2002
Ottawa, ON
Doesn't having a bottomless well of music provided by wifi completely defeat the purpose of the iPod? I mean, the iPod's main attraction is its ability to store so much music in such a small package, but if you add wifi, there wouldn't be as good a reason to buy the 40gig version as opposed to a smaller 15gig version. Heck, you can probably get by with a 1gig version and stream most of your music off of your computer.

ibookin'

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2002
Los Angeles, CA
Originally posted by NavyIntel007
How about....

I think there's a digital radio service in Britain and I'm not sure about Asia and the rest of Europe.

And if only they could double the capacity of bluetooth then we could talk about some bluetooth headphones.

Only problem is the antenna necessary for XM make the iPod quite a bit larger.

bretm

macrumors 68000
Apr 12, 2002
Originally posted by skymaXimus
Umm ... hello? that is what the iPod already does, only via firewire and not web streaming. Why add another whole layer of complexity that will eventually fall short? I must be misinterpreting your post.

Wireless connection to internet.
iPod only sees personal computer at home (via wireless internet connection)
iPod no longer needs disk drive
iPod can purchase music off iTunes - music would be stored on home computer

I agree, too much. But it would be a driveless, internet itunes capable ipod. However it relies too heavily on your home computer remaining on and connected to the internet.

alphaq619

macrumors member
Mar 10, 2003
Bay Area
I read that article and thought it was a load of crap. So much so that I emailed him my thoughts about the article.

"You are on crack. So what is the whole point of the iTunes Music Store? Did Apple waste its time developing it? Waste its time courting the big 5 music labels? Waste its time and money for the infrastructure of the store just to stream everything wirelessly? Wireless internet (in terms of wide range internet) is still a long way off. Sure subscription works with cable TV but people want to own their music. No one rents CDs from Blockbuster just to have them returned in 5 days.

"There would be no need for CDs, hard drives, or any other storage device. And trying to capture such music would be about as easy as trapping mist in a jar. Every song would contain a digital expiration date, so, over time, they would evaporate. "

That was the whole point of the iTMS. The beauty of a la carte downloading. The other guys run on a subscription based model. No one wants to rent music.

That article is full of wild speculation. I don't remember hearing or reading about Apple wanting to provide wireless connectivity to their iPod. The biggest viable rumor with the iPod is that there are talks about hooking up the company's iSight to it to create a hard drive based video camera. Write a story on that.

http://www.sidewalkmuse.net/archives/000004.html
https://forums.macrumors.com/archive/topic/33976-1.html

Of course, you could just be blowing stuff out of your rear end just to have something to turn in to your boss and to create a buzz within the Mac community. Just like when some other journalist with nothing else to write about writes on how Apple is porting OS X to run on Intel processors or how Apple is switching to use Intel instead of Motorola/IBM processors. Which will never happen. Think of something valid next time you write an article."

Even if it's a remote possiblity, I think it's a long way off. But if I'm wrong, sue me.

ryan

macrumors 6502
May 17, 2002
Denver, CO
Originally posted by NavyIntel007
How about....

The whole XM idea is what I first thought of too when I saw this article (surprising no one mentioned it until page 2). The thing with XM is that it’s just a clearer sounding, no commercial radio system, so while it would nice to be able to tune to various stations, the real power would be in allowing people to chose what specific song(s) they want to listen to. Kind of like the promise of on-demand movies and/or tv shows.

contempt

macrumors member
Jan 6, 2003
Brooklyn
Instead of Wi-Fi, couldn't they just easily embed an FM tuner and a XM Satellite tuner? That could be an interesting cross promotion. Great for the XM companies. Then maybe, you could customize your own XM station and listen to that. Wow. And that XM channel would be linked to your iTunes IP address and you can share music through a playlist. How cool would that be? Now I'm dreaming.

aromedia

macrumors newbie
Sep 29, 2003
Dab radio

I might sounds like a downer but the concept looks pretty much like digital radio. This technology is at our doors and will passed through smartphones.

pjkelnhofer

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2003
Boston
Originally posted by Sonofhaig
Yes. I don't like the idea though. I want to "own" and keep what I download.
Not just have it until expiration date. The entertainment world wants to do this with DVD too. It'll never fly.......

It seems to me it would be very easy to store the music. Just go from the headphone jack to the audio in on anything and all of a sudden you have a copy of the song!
I know there would be some quality loss compare to a true download, but I remember being a poor kid and having most of my music collection from taping songs off the radio.
What is slightly lower quality when you are getting it for free?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.