Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JDabney24

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 24, 2014
Anyone experiencing this? Anytime I use PiP with YouTube or even twitch, my iPhone 14 Pro Max will heat up excessively. It’s only while using PiP. I can watch videos in the app without it overheating in the slightest. Currently on the 16.1 official release but it has being doing this since earlier versions.

Reactions: Ram65

JDabney24

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 24, 2014
I’m saying that using PiP has never been so intense on the cpu enough to cause so much heat in a very short amount of time. I don’t know if it is a device issue or a software issue. Just anytime I use PiP it happens. The device will get hot to the touch on both the back of the device and on the front screen very quickly. Like within a minute of using PiP along with rapid battery draining.

jk111

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2007
I've definitely noticed this. Happens with YouTube and YT TV. As soon as I exit PiP and watch in the respective app the phone cools off. I'm on official 16.1 release.

vsalmeida

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2022
The problem happens even with the screen turned off, if PIP is enabled. In youtube app, I disabled the PIP in configuration and the problem of overheating stopped happening.

Kylo83

macrumors 601
Apr 2, 2020
The problem happens even with the screen turned off, if PIP is enabled. In youtube app, I disabled the PIP in configuration and the problem of overheating stopped happening.
Yeah same I turned it off and it’s fine, I wish they fix this

Kylo83

macrumors 601
Apr 2, 2020
Still heating up after updating the app.
It’s strange after I had it turned off after the YouTube update I put it back on and now it’s not over heating or dimming not sure what has fixed it

Kylo83

macrumors 601
Apr 2, 2020
Edit: it still heats up with new YouTube update so yes it’s a iOS issue; does 16.2 beta help at all

jk111

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2007
So I ended up toggling PiP off in the YouTube app, rebooted, turned it back on, and it doesn't seem to be getting as hot anymore. Will keep testing.

EDIT: nevermind, heating up again. Maybe it has to do with certain content on Youtube? Seems okay if I watch a video but a livestream heats up like an oven. Interestingly enough, this does not seem to happen when using YouTube in Safari.

Last edited:

Kylo83

macrumors 601
Apr 2, 2020
So I ended up toggling PiP off in the YouTube app, rebooted, turned it back on, and it doesn't seem to be getting as hot anymore. Will keep testing.

EDIT: nevermind, heating up again. Maybe it has to do with certain content on Youtube? Seems okay if I watch a video but a livestream heats up like an oven. Interestingly enough, this does not seem to happen when using YouTube in Safari.
yeah I find that so strange

vivlund

macrumors newbie
Dec 14, 2010
Cary, NC
I have the same issue on an iPhone 13 Pro. As soon as PIP is enabled, even when the video is minimized, the phone quickly heats up and drains the battery very fast.

Reactions: negative_
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.