Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Elyquin

macrumors member
Aug 24, 2010
Savannah
Seagate won't sleep

My two Seagate external do not sleep either. I was hoping there was an answer in this thread. In preferences I do have the box checked to put external drives to sleep.

I have now eject them and then unplug the drives.

PliSsK

macrumors member
Nov 17, 2011
UK
My FW G-Drive won't unmount - at all. I eject the icon on the desktop and the icon disappears but the drive keeps spinning the same speed and when I switch it off it bleeps at me. I contacted G-Drive Technology but they just told me to test the hard disk on another OS - they weren't aware of the issue with 10.9. Also I've noticed that the drive is not mounted a significant proportion of the time I plug it in even though it is detected by the OS. I never had any issues unmounting the drive in 10.8 although I did have issues with mounting it as above, but it was much less frequent. I guess I should have tested it using USB2 but it didn't occur to me (not G Tech). I figured it could wait for 10.9.1 for a fix for this issue and the Finder hanging problem (non necessarily guaranteed) so I decided to restore 10.8. Would be keen to find out when 10.9 works properly in the above respect so it would be safe to reinstall it! ;-)

Last edited:

rvinny

macrumors regular
Feb 2, 2007
+1

OWC Mini Stack over FW800 and a Drobo Mini over Thunderbolt. Both won't sleep. Considering a rollback to 10.8

PliSsK

macrumors member
Nov 17, 2011
UK
I had a change of heart because I was reminded of the frequent crashing issues I was having under 10.8 (perhaps needed wiping and rebuilding), so upgraded again to 10.9 which has proven to be very stable so far. Not the best use of my time admittedly. After installing the updates in 10.9.0, I haven't stumbled across the Finder issue again, so whilst the FW800 issue still remains, and I have to shut down my iMac every time I want to eject a drive, overall it's less frustrating than before.

ssls6

macrumors 6502a
Feb 7, 2013
I still can't figure out why my external FW drives won't sleep. Even if the computer sleeps the drives won't sleep. Very Very frustrating.

csteelooper

macrumors newbie
Feb 27, 2011
I still can't figure out why my external FW drives won't sleep. Even if the computer sleeps the drives won't sleep. Very Very frustrating.

Frustrating though it may be, I'm definitely not planning to roll back to 10.8 over it. Simply because everything else is just pure bliss (Except perhaps a few nitty little issues with Mail). What helps me strengthening this view is that there's only one drive that refuses to sleep in my case, and I don't have any of the other issues referred to in this thread (i.e. drives not umnounting when they should or doing so when they should not). So even though the drive in question iOmega eGo 500GB Mac Edition) did sleep just fine in <10.9, I find the merit of Mavericks to be much greater than the eventual disadvantage that I incur from using it.

I don't know why the drives won't sleep, only because the system is *very* silent about that… If only there were a significant line or two in the console about the issue, that would've helped me so much… Alas…

The only thing I hope is that the imminent 10.9.1 update may come to fix this issue.

bratman91

macrumors newbie
Jan 26, 2013
The manufacturer's notes for my Seagate external drive say that it is designed to be able to run constantly. I am not sure what energy savings can be made by sleeping the drive but my guess is that it is a lot less than the cost of reducing the life of the drive by frequent spinning up and spinning down the disc.

Eithanius

macrumors 68000
Nov 19, 2005
The manufacturer's notes for my Seagate external drive say that it is designed to be able to run constantly. I am not sure what energy savings can be made by sleeping the drive but my guess is that it is a lot less than the cost of reducing the life of the drive by frequent spinning up and spinning down the disc.

My concern here is not about sleeping the drives, but more like how the drive will survive consistently abrupt/sudden spin down every time you pull the plug. This is especially true when it comes to FW-powered 2.5" drives.

jazz1

Contributor
Aug 19, 2002
Mid-West USA
Just Set Up a WD Thunderbolt 8TB Drive

I just set up an iMac with a WD Thunderbolt 8TB external drive for a friend. With Thunderbolt there was no problem with sleeping. So it would seem that the Firewire bus is the issue with Mavericks.

I myself have to use the Apple Firewire to Thunderbolt adapter. My Lacie and WD external drives will not sleep as I have previously reported.

PliSsK

macrumors member
Nov 17, 2011
UK
I seem to be able to unmount/eject the 320GB G-Drive just fine with a with USB Y cable (USB A to USB mini). Just tested it. It's just the FW800 that doesn't allow unmounting in 10.9. Hope they get this fixed in 10.9.1, should be a priority issue.

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
For what it is worth My externals were not sleeping either until i went in System Preferences->Energy and put a checkmark in 'Put hard disks in sleep when possible'. After doing that and restarting they started sleeping when not in use. So try it to see if it makes a difference.

Last edited:

PliSsK

macrumors member
Nov 17, 2011
UK
For what it is worth My eternals were not sleeping either until i went in System Preferences->Energy and put a checkmark in 'Put hard disks in sleep when possible'. After doing that and restarting they started sleeping when not in use. So try it to see if it makes a difference.

Did nothing for me but perhaps I'm trying to achieve something slightly different (with unmounting/ejecting).

gmanWA

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2009
FWIW

I have a 2009 iMac - originally with Snow Leopard, upgraded to Lion/ML and now Mavericks and it too was having the 'external firewire drive won't sleep' issue.

I recently had to replace the internal spindle drive, so I did a fresh install of Mavericks and then a Time Machine restore of user files and applications - and now the external drive (Lacie D2 with a WD 3TB Green drive inside) is sleeping just like it used to.

Gochugogi

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2013
Sandwich Isles
I just switched a old LaCie drive from USB to FW and it ejects but will not sleep automatically or if I invoke sleep. So back to really slow USB2...

ssls6

macrumors 6502a
Feb 7, 2013
I just switched a old LaCie drive from USB to FW and it ejects but will not sleep automatically or if I invoke sleep. So back to really slow USB2...

Yeah, I was getting 60 MB/s with FW800….now I'm at 20 MB/s with USB2.

dinkypumpkin

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2013
Has the OS 10.91 update fixed the FW sleep issue for anybody?

FWIW, OS X 10.9.1 fixed the problem for one of my 2 MyBook Studio II drives. The other one spins down after eject, but not on sleep/idle. Back to USB.

Last edited:

homeport42

macrumors newbie
Jan 21, 2014
Austin, TX
FW type drives may not be the only problem with sleep

My external drive is a My Book Studio Edition. It does have ports for the FW connection, but I am using the USB 2. That leaves open the question if there is some internal connection between the FW and the USB which might cause the same sleep problem to occur regardless of which port is used. I would not suspect this to be the case, but anything is possible.

jazz1

Contributor
Aug 19, 2002
Mid-West USA
FWIW, OS X 10.9.1 fixed the problem for one of my 2 MyBook Studio II drives. The other one spins down after eject, but not on sleep/idle. Back to USB.

10.9.1 fixed my MyBook Studio II FW sleep issue, but my Lacie 2Big will not sleep using FW via a Thunderbolt adapter. The Lacie is first in the chain. I'm using all of my USB ports, so USB is not a solution for me even though all of my external drives support USB as well as FW.

Tulani

macrumors 68000
Dec 6, 2012
10.9.1 fixed my MyBook Studio II FW sleep issue, but my Lacie 2Big will not sleep using FW via a Thunderbolt adapter. The Lacie is first in the chain. I'm using all of my USB ports, so USB is not a solution for me even though all of my external drives support USB as well as FW.

Yes LaCie little big thunderbolt is also having issues sleeping on my side.

PliSsK

macrumors member
Nov 17, 2011
UK
I am assuming this won't be fixed as most if not all new Macs don't have FW800 ports? So for older machines, it might be better to roll back to 10.8?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.