Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vs40

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 9, 2016
I got new external SSD and want to use it for Time Machine backups, but it switching to "read only" after configuring the Time Machine.
SSD is working, I can format it in exFAT or APFS and use like normal external drive, but right after selecting it for Time Machine, it switching to RO.
I'm tried to reformat it, running First Aid in Disk Utility and restarting my MBAM1, but still the same problem.

Any ideas folks?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Screen Shot 2021-08-05 at 9.22.11 AM.png

I'm seeing the same thing, so I'm guessing that is normal for an APFS TM backup drive,

vs40

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 9, 2016
I'm seeing the same thing, so I'm guessing that is normal for an APFS TM backup drive,
It makes no sense ?
I got 1TB drive not only for backups, but as external drive as well.
And I was using my previous one like that with my old MPB, but it has "Mac OS Extended" formatting.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Have you tried using Disk Util to make two volumes, one for TM and the other for your storage like you want. I have not tested that, but I think it would work.

Reactions: bobcomer and vs40

vs40

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 9, 2016
Have you tried using Disk Util to make two volumes, one for TM and the other for your storage like you want. I have not tested that, but I think it would work
Thanks! I didn't knew APFS volumes are flexible and I don't need to cut them in to defined size disks.
It is still little bit unusual to work with two different mounted disks instead of one, but it works)

Reactions: Weaselboy
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.