Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yzeater

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 19, 2002
Hey-
I just wanted to let you know that I've joined the folding 3446 effort. I've got a PB500 and a K6-500 running it. We have a special computer at our school that's relatively fast, I'm going to ask if we can run F@H on it...first person to guess what it is gets pride! (We're the only school in America with one, and this is our second)
-Stephen

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Originally posted by yzeater
It's an SV-1 to be more specific:D

Ooooo...it's a Bricklin SV-1? Oh, that was a great car, but I can't see as that as good as a computer. :D

mc68k

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2002
Does this supercomputer run one of the OSes required for the client? Would running all those processors at 100% for prolonged periods fair welll with it?

intriguing. keep us posted on your progress.

Suspended
Jun 22, 2001
Originally posted by medea
hmm, I don't even know what a Cray is?
Help a brotha out.

Well a few years ago my friends and I dreamed of it as the perfect computer. Since then I have begun to wonder what software runs on it. According to another thread it has 8 500mhz processors and 32 gigs of ram :D:D:D

MrMacMan

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2001
1 Block away from NYC.
Originally posted by W-_-W

Well a few years ago my friends and I dreamed of it as the perfect computer. Since then I have begun to wonder what software runs on it. According to another thread it has 8 500mhz processors and 32 gigs of ram :D:D:D
haha.

So what is this computer or atleast tell us what OS it runs on. :-D

yzeater

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 19, 2002
Did your Dual Ghz cost 3 mil:D
It has 32 gigs of ram...that must make a difference

MrMacMan

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2001
1 Block away from NYC.
Originally posted by yzeater
Did your Dual Ghz cost 3 mil:D
It has 32 gigs of ram...that must make a difference

No kidding, anyway the Cray OS is probably like *nix so it is less graphical based and runs faster, heck I'm sure there is some command to run like only folding :-D :p

Suspended
Jun 22, 2001
Re: Re: This?

Originally posted by MacBandit

My Dual/GHz/DDR PowerMac can provide up to 10GFlops in real world applications so what's the big deal about an old Cray that can only achieve 8GFlops?

That is only alti-vec enhanced apps, which folding is not. :p (yet)

Suspended
Jun 22, 2001
Originally posted by MrMacman
Isn't folding like 20 % faster running OS 9 over OS X, why is that?

OS X is a lot more complicated for processors than OS 9. Drop shadows, genie effects and such, aqua and transparency are processor things of nightmares. There are more reasons. More knowledgable people will have some more examples.

pgwalsh

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2002
New Zealand
What are the chances you can use it for this? Also, would you know how to get folding to work on it? Can anyone tell us how fast it would crunch a core?

MrMacMan

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2001
1 Block away from NYC.
Originally posted by W-_-W

OS X is a lot more complicated for processors than OS 9. Drop shadows, genie effects and such, aqua and transparency are processor things of nightmares. There are more reasons. More knowledgable people will have some more examples.

well I know for all the effects but if I'm not using basically any memory or any other CPU but that and it runs: hella alot slower, not optomized?

Falleron

macrumors 68000
Nov 22, 2001
UK
Originally posted by MrMacman
Isn't folding like 20 % faster running OS 9 over OS X, why is that?
I'm not sure where you got that from. However, folding does not run on OS9.

zarathustra

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2002
Boston
It seems Crays use UNICOS, as the operating system. I wonder when/if it will be cheaper to cluster Xserves to get the same computing power. I could see a few racks of Xserves connected with optical fibre channel and a few Xraids... *drools*

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.