Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Catfish_Man

macrumors 68030
Sep 13, 2001
Portland, OR
Re: Re: This?

Originally posted by MacBandit

My Dual/GHz/DDR PowerMac can provide up to 10GFlops in real world applications so what's the big deal about an old Cray that can only achieve 8GFlops?

"Cray SV1ex also provides high-end developers designing new applications access to a new innovative architecture-the Multi-Streaming Processor (MSP). MSP combines four 2 GFLOPS processors to create one eight-vector pipe processor that delivers 8 GFLOPS peak performance. The system dynamically reconfigures the combination of MSP and standard processors based on the system workload." (from the cray page)

So, that's 8GFLOPS per "Multi-Streaming Processor", in addition to the 2GFLOP normal processors. Also, Crays have a MUCH more balanced architecture than G4s, so I imagine even one of those MSPs could sustain much higher GFLOPS than your G4. In addition, non-Altivec tasks on a G4 run at a max of 2 GFLOPS @1GHz, or 4.5 GFLOPS@dual 1.25GHz (1 FMADD per clock cycle).

Performance for an entire Cray SV-1 ranges from 19.2 to 153.6 GFLOPS. The SV1ex ranges from 32 to 256 GFLOPS. RAM ranges from 4 to 128 GB.

Over Achiever

macrumors 68000
Re: Re: Re: This?

Originally posted by Catfish_Man
Performance for an entire Cray SV-1 ranges from 19.2 to 153.6 GFLOPS. The SV1ex ranges from 32 to 256 GFLOPS. RAM ranges from 4 to 128 GB.

Attachments

• jaw_dropping_in_surprise.gif
    jaw_dropping_in_surprise.gif
    3 KB · Views: 217

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Re: Re: Re: This?

Originally posted by Catfish_Man

"Cray SV1ex also provides high-end developers designing new applications access to a new innovative architecture-the Multi-Streaming Processor (MSP). MSP combines four 2 GFLOPS processors to create one eight-vector pipe processor that delivers 8 GFLOPS peak performance. The system dynamically reconfigures the combination of MSP and standard processors based on the system workload." (from the cray page)

So, that's 8GFLOPS per "Multi-Streaming Processor", in addition to the 2GFLOP normal processors. Also, Crays have a MUCH more balanced architecture than G4s, so I imagine even one of those MSPs could sustain much higher GFLOPS than your G4. In addition, non-Altivec tasks on a G4 run at a max of 2 GFLOPS @1GHz, or 4.5 GFLOPS@dual 1.25GHz (1 FMADD per clock cycle).

I was simply making a statement/question and I guess I got my answer but for some reason I feel like I just got a serious bitch slapping.:eek: :eek:

yzeater

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 19, 2002
We have to wait till the next meeting about the Cray...I'm not quite sure when it is:cool:

MrMacMan

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2001
1 Block away from NYC.
Originally posted by yzeater
We have to wait till the next meeting about the Cray...I'm not quite sure when it is:cool:

Remember ask if it is *nix Compatible. Maybe we could try the command line or the Linux version or if there is a real *nix one out there. :D

That cray system is insane.

Catfish_Man

macrumors 68030
Sep 13, 2001
Portland, OR
Re: Re: Re: Re: This?

Originally posted by MacBandit

I was simply making a statement/question and I guess I got my answer but for some reason I feel like I just got a serious bitch slapping.:eek: :eek:

Heh. Sorry about that, it was a bit harsh.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Maybe someday Stanford will have access to one so that they can compile their source code and folding will be possible or maybe it's got a x86-compatibility mode until that time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.