Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mattww

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2008
I recently switched from a GTX680 to an R9 280X so I could run F1 2017 (MacOS, Steam) more reliably.

I had hours of fun with F1 2016 using the GTX680 but at least on Sierra with the Nvidia card and the web drivers it wasn't 100% reliable running F1 2017.

It did run and I could do some time trial laps etc. but I often lost audio (strange for a GPU issue) between the menus and in car, plus I had some crashes where the video stopped and I had to force quit. These all went away with the AMD card. I'm on High Sierra now and the R9 280X is still running it well so far (I'm using 1440p and medium, now on round 8 of my 100% distance career).

Maybe however the new web drivers and High Sierra are better but I'll be selling it and if I do change GPU again it will likely be to an RX580 because of the likely support thanks to the iMac.

JaguarGod

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2010
I was previously using a GTX970 and had all sorts of problems in F1 2016 and it simply was not reliable. When I switched to my R9 280X everything was perfect and it seems that it is much the same for me in F1 2017. Also, my Mac Pro seems to run F1 2017 very well with the 280X. I get 40-60fps with my custom video settings. I can keep most at high or ultra, but I do give up the vehicle reflections and put that on low. This allows me to run everything else higher for the most part. I also do not use motion blur as I just don't prefer it.

The game is just so much fun to play. Of all the F1/Open Wheel games I have played and collected over the past 30+ years, this has quickly become one of, in not the, favorite of mine.

Mattww

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2008
I was previously using a GTX970 and had all sorts of problems in F1 2016 and it simply was not reliable. When I switched to my R9 280X everything was perfect and it seems that it is much the same for me in F1 2017. Also, my Mac Pro seems to run F1 2017 very well with the 280X. I get 40-60fps with my custom video settings. I can keep most at high or ultra, but I do give up the vehicle reflections and put that on low. This allows me to run everything else higher for the most part. I also do not use motion blur as I just don't prefer it.

The game is just so much fun to play. Of all the F1/Open Wheel games I have played and collected over the past 30+ years, this has quickly become one of, in not the, favorite of mine.

Definitely agree on this being the best F1 game yet (47hrs and counting with my 100% career), the only fault so far really is that the AI drivers can get away with overtaking under yellows or the safety car/VSC if you slow down too much (this happened in 2016 as well and is not easy to avoid I find when you are reacting to those events). Codemasters really should find a way of making sure they obey the rules regardless of how much you slow.

What resolution are you playing at?

I've been reluctant to up the settings too much as I'm at 1440p and running the card off internal power only using the 6 to 8 pin adaptor that came in the box with this MSI R9 280X card (along with the second 6 to 6 pin as well of course). I've heard others get away with this arrangement but also know that this card potentially could draw more power than the Mac would like (250W TDP versus 225W).

imacken

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2010

Agreed about the game, but I think I remember seeing that nVidia gpus were not supported. Could explain your issue?

aero.nz

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2012
Hi All, I got an iMac last week and am keen to give F1 2017 a go.

What controller are you using with F1 2017? Could I buy a steelseries nimbus and share it between Apple TV and iMac, or do I need something specific for MacOS.

Thanks, Travis

imacken

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2010
Hi All, I got an iMac last week and am keen to give F1 2017 a go.

What controller are you using with F1 2017? Could I buy a steelseries nimbus and share it between Apple TV and iMac, or do I need something specific for MacOS.

Thanks, Travis
IMO, you HAVE to use a wheel for racing games. I use Logitech G27. If you must use a controller, I recommend the Xbox one. Works perfectly for me in first person shooters, etc.
Also, look here and here for Feral's views.

aero.nz

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2012
IMO, you HAVE to use a wheel for racing games. I use Logitech G27. If you must use a controller, I recommend the Xbox one. Works perfectly for me in first person shooters, etc.
Also, look here and here for Feral's views.

Thanks mate, good info.

I’d love a wheel but a bit hard to justify, I’ve read conflicting info on Xbox one controller working wirelessly. Do I just need the latest xbox one wireless controller as long as it says Bluetooth?

imacken

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2010
Thanks mate, good info.

I’d love a wheel but a bit hard to justify, I’ve read conflicting info on Xbox one controller working wirelessly. Do I just need the latest xbox one wireless controller as long as it says Bluetooth?
I use the wired version. Safer, I think!

JaguarGod

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2010
Definitely agree on this being the best F1 game yet (47hrs and counting with my 100% career), the only fault so far really is that the AI drivers can get away with overtaking under yellows or the safety car/VSC if you slow down too much (this happened in 2016 as well and is not easy to avoid I find when you are reacting to those events). Codemasters really should find a way of making sure they obey the rules regardless of how much you slow.

What resolution are you playing at?

I've been reluctant to up the settings too much as I'm at 1440p and running the card off internal power only using the 6 to 8 pin adaptor that came in the box with this MSI R9 280X card (along with the second 6 to 6 pin as well of course). I've heard others get away with this arrangement but also know that this card potentially could draw more power than the Mac would like (250W TDP versus 225W).
I'm only playing at 1080P. I am using the 280X Toxic version and it seems to work very well, but does spoon up a bit when under load for sure.
[doublepost=1508433750][/doublepost]
Agreed about the game, but I think I remember seeing that nVidia gpus were not supported. Could explain your issue?
When I tried it with my GTX970 with 2016, it did play, but would constantly freeze or become corrupt and crash. I think I made it through a race or two, but every other try ended in failure. I did not try the 970 with F1 2017 as I have simply stuck with my trusty 280X.
[doublepost=1508434312][/doublepost]
I really must sit down and give this some more attention, I've been a bit distracted since Project CARS 2 came out.
Codemasters did a fantastic job getting the control as tight as possible and adding in the classic cars again is great. Of course, Feral did a great job getting the game onto the Mac too. Feral is the best Mac dev out there in my opinion because I am a racing fanatic. F1 2017 just feels awesome to play in my opinion.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.