Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GregJohn

macrumors 6502
Oct 29, 2015
Saskatoon, SK
Unfortunately not. We all were hoping! Maybe it requires a new version of Face ID, or it will be an update that comes when the new iPads do. But wouldn’t be surprised if it was one of the big changes for this years lineup only.

GarrettD

macrumors newbie
Apr 26, 2017
The dot matrix is as far as I know hardware driven, not software driven, When I was testing the X, I tried different orientations and only the expected vertical upright orientation was successful.
The software controls the hardware for the most part.

aevan

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2015
Serbia
Honestly I would just take a higher success rate over horizontal scanning at this point. But I'd think scanning from different angles would help improve the overall scanning reliability.

Do people really have these issues? I keep reading here how people have lower success rates - and I wonder what angles are you trying to unlock from, because I literally have 100% success rate unless I put the phone really close to my face.

cwanja

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010
Texas
Do people really have these issues? I keep reading here how people have lower success rates - and I wonder what angles are you trying to unlock from, because I literally have 100% success rate unless I put the phone really close to my face.
Mine is OK. Sometimes it will sit there and unlock when the passcode keys finally show up. And it is in the same angle that would typically unlock it immediately. So a Face ID 2.0 would not hurt or improved software scanning.

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains

When testing the iPhone X for work and utilizing some suggestion from folk here, we found that with your face vertical, when the X tilts beyond 30 degrees (left or right) the accuracy to unlock starts dropping rapidly. The matrix expects vertical to vertical.

kaldezar

macrumors regular
May 28, 2008
London, England
Apple will seriously use this as a "feature" in an upcoming model. Tech has stalled so much that things that should simply be a given will now be features. I mean, Memoji? Like they couldn't of added that with Animojis? Face ID was touted as a feature. It's a way to unlock your phone, that takes as long as Touch ID. lol.
Actually find face ID quicker and more accurate but yes would love landscape FaceID!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.