Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alex2016g

macrumors member
Jun 2, 2008
UK
By far the stupidest thing that facebook have done in a long time!

Even though it is late news as most of Europe has been cut for a while now (meaning unable to use messenger on actual fb app), there is a work around at least for now:

- when you get to messages it will prompt you to instal fb messager app,
- click install,
- it will open appstore (dont click anything in app store)
- then double click the home button and return to fb main app, go to messages and click on a different message than before and there you go, you got messages in FB again, at least until you restart fb app

Now I admit that this method is probably longer than actually installing the messenger app in the first place but I refuse to bow down to FB's every wish.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Sweet. Two apps to clear notifications from when people spam me.

...More like two apps for people to ignore me until my birthday rolls around...
The same notifications won't be coming to both apps.

----------

Even though it is late news as most of Europe has been cut for a while now (meaning unable to use messenger on actual fb app), there is a work around at least for now:

- when you get to messages it will prompt you to instal fb messager app,
- click install,
- it will open appstore (dont click anything in app store)
- then double click the home button and return to fb main app, go to messages and click on a different message than before and there you go, you got messages in FB again, at least until you restart fb app

Now I admit that this method is probably longer than actually installing the messenger app in the first place but I refuse to bow down to FB's every wish.

----------

What has this got to do with Jobs???
We can refuse to deal with reality and go out of our way to avoid it and work around it, but it doesn't change the reality and that it's actually simpler to accept reality for something really inconsequential like this than to "fight it" (in the sense of only complicating things for yourself and not really accomplishing anything else).

alex2016g

macrumors member
Jun 2, 2008
UK
All this complaining! People here don't have any vision.

Everyone claims to love Jobs and his philosophy around here but any time there's a change of the norm people go up in arms.

What has this got to do with Jobs???

----------

OMG you are right, you use the apps for two different reasons!!! :rolleyes:

By the way you think, there should be and app for likes, another for viewing pictures, another one for uploading photos.... just plain stupid.

Absolutely agree it just makes no sense!

saintforlife

macrumors 65816
Feb 25, 2011
I will simply not install message. once I get a message, I will either download the message for just 5minute to finish the conversation or go to the web version.

....simply because I hate the concept of having two apps that does the same thing.
So every time you get a message you will download the app to finish the conversation (and presumably delete the app when done) or switch to a computer to continue chatting, as opposed to just downloading the messaging app just once and just leave it be. Got it. That sounds like a great idea and efficient way of doing things.

mejsric

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2013
So Facebook App has no more messaging???

YES!!!!!!!!! Thank you Mark!!!

Mashurrab

macrumors regular
May 30, 2014
I don't think this is a smart move at all. It makes the Facebook app less useful and relevant. Meanwhile Facebook messenger is not going to stand up against other instant messaging options. I don't get this personally.

Maybe this is the first step to force you to use whatsapp, first force everybody to use Facebook messenger, second force everybody to use whAtsapp

bigchrisfgb

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2010
They pulled this crap in the UK last month, leading me to removing the app altogether. I don't see the benefit for a casual user such as myself to have to install two apps to achieve essentially the same thing, and the mobile site does exactly what I need it to do.

Of course, it doesn't help that I despise Facebook, but just. can't. delete. my profile...
Same here, I'm not a big fan of Facebook and only have it because there people have it. I haven't removed the Facebook app, anyway I won't install the messenger app. I haven't yet been sent to the messenger app to read messages yet but a few of my friends have.

This is all to get people to have two apps so each time they open the app there is two lots of adverts instead of one, of course this impacts on people's mobile data as well.

Anyway people who are important or close enough to me already have my mobile number to contact me, there they can contact me by phone, Text, iMessage if they have it, and begrudgingly Whatsapp which ironically is owned by Facebook. If anyone else is contacting me via Facebook then it will wait until I log in on my Mac.

BruiserB

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2008
These companies really are trying to drive people away aren't they? Why not put all things Facebook in one Facebook app?

Foursquare has recently broken out the ability to "check-in" to a separate Swarm app. The whole concept of "checking in" has run it's course any way....I'm not going to download the Swarm app....and will probably delete Foursquare while I'm at it. Splitting it up has diluted it's purpose, so good-bye. The same may end up happening to Facebook.

PocketSand11

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2014
~/

No, making it so apps can't even see your friend list except for those friends who use that app (as of April 31, 2014) is. There's not even a permission to allow it. So how is a small app supposed to start out??

Cancelled
Jul 3, 2013
I've been forced to use it for a while now and it's just so stupid and unnecessary. Why can't I just use messaging on my Facebook app where it's worked fine for years?

The sooner something comes along that upsurps Facebook like with MySpace the better.

diegogaja

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2009
Well. I use it to keep in touch with lots of friends around the world. I still call and message often but it helped to feel not so disconnected.

already stopped using Facebook, only people who do are either robots or kids who don't know any better.

----------

Well, speaking for myself, I'm not complaining because of a 'change in the norm'.
I have friends all over the world and they use, and prefer a variety of messaging apps (iMessage. what's app. Wechat. Weibo. Kaokaotalk. Skype. Line. Just to name a few). Seriously just don't want to add anymore especially from Facebook...which I consider an unfortunate necessary evil.

All this complaining! People here don't have any vision.

Everyone claims to love Jobs and his philosophy around here but any time there's a change of the norm people go up in arms.

Splitting the app into two leads to more efficiency, simplicity, and focused use. These are all the traits that Apple and not to mention the iPhone were founded upon.

I use both apps and use them for completely separate reasons. It's a nice divide. Glad to see facebook taking initiative and making the standard app (which is insanely bloated) leaner, more efficient and thus faster.

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
I like them having the separate app since the main thing I do with Facebook is messaging so it's nice to not have everything else there but this is still a dumb thing for them to do since if I was going to use it for more on my phone I'd want it all in one app.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I've been forced to use it for a while now and it's just so stupid and unnecessary. Why can't I just use messaging on my Facebook app where it's worked fine for years?

The sooner something comes along that upsurps Facebook like with MySpace the better.
Ive been using Messenger separately long before it was even talked about being pulled out of the main app for everyone officially and found it to be no different and even better at times when I only need to talk to someone and don't care about the Facebook app loading and running while I'm talking and not browsing the newsfeed and updates (and vice versa).

----------

OMG you are right, you use the apps for two different reasons!!! :rolleyes:

By the way you think, there should be and app for likes, another for viewing pictures, another one for uploading photos.... just plain stupid.
On the flip side, we might as well have the Phone app and Measages app all in one app then, right? Might as well merge Safari and Mail too or Mail and Messages. Seems to make better sense, right?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Why would I want two apps when one does the job? Really strange decision.
Why would you want a separate Phone and Mesaages app when having one that could do both sounds like it would be a better idea by that logic? Where's the outrage at Apple or any other phone manufacturer for now doing that?

BruiserB

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2008
Why would you want a separate Phone and Mesaages app when having one that could do both sounds like it would be a better idea by that logic? Where's the outrage at Apple or any other phone manufacturer for now doing that?

It's just that when I'm in Facebook, I'm thinking of the Facebook community. If I read someone's post on Facebook and decide I want to send them a message about what they posted (vs posting publicly on their timeline) why should I open another app to do it?

On the web I go to Facebook.com to do all of that....are they going to create Facebookmessenger.com and force us to go there to message someone? If one website is good for the web, why 2 apps for the phone?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
It's just that when I'm in Facebook, I'm thinking of the Facebook community. If I read someone's post on Facebook and decide I want to send them a message about what they posted (vs posting publicly on their timeline) why should I open another app to do it?

On the web I go to Facebook.com to do all of that....are they going to create Facebookmessenger.com and force us to go there to message someone? If one website is good for the web, why 2 apps for the phone?
I often call the same people I message and email often too, by that logic it seems like when I'm in the Mail app I should also have the phone and message apps right there too since I'm in the mood of communicating with those people and might decide to call or email or message them.

It's not so much about the community you are interacting with but what you are doing as messaging and conversing with people are different actions and states of mind than reading updates and and posting things. At least just as different if not more than email and messaging someone which have always had separate apps and no one really questions that and probably would be outraged even more if they were merged simply because they relate to communicating with similar group of people.

rmatthewware

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2009
Why would they deliberately hamstring their app? Especially now, when the youth are fleeing Facebook for no longer being cool.

BruiserB

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2008
I often call the same people I message and email often too, by that logic it seems like when I'm in the Mail app I should also have the phone and message apps right there too since I'm in the mood of communicating with those people and might decide to call or email or message them.

It's not so much about the community you are interacting with but what you are doing as messaging and conversing with people are different actions and states of mind than reading updates and and posting things. At least just as different if not more than email and messaging someone which have always had separate apps and no one really questions that and probably would be outraged even more if they were merged simply because they relate to communicating with similar group of people.

Well about the only time I message someone on Facebook is when I am reminded of that person by something I've seen on Facebook. I don't reply to someone who calls, texts, or emails me with a Facebook message.

Facebook can do whatever the heck they want, but so can I, and if they fragment their app and make it hard to use like Foursquare did, I can walk away. I just don't understand why they think we'd find separate apps more useful. Why wouldn't they want it to parallel their website organization?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.