Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
No, but it makes it the majority opinion of the consumer which the producer wouldn't exist without and the product is made for.
Well, in that case Facebook will suffer because of it in some fashion. Don't think that's going to happen really, but I guess we'll see.

shandyman

Suspended
Apr 24, 2010
Dublin, Ireland
Doesn't matter...bottom line, most people don't like the change and for good reason. It's a stupid, inferior change! You will never win the argument that having it consolidated in one app isn't more efficient than 2.

It's not change for no good reason and you win the argument the having 2 apps is more efficient by the fact there's a different team working on messages for a few years now and it means they can update messages with bug fixes and improvements quicker than waiting in the main app team to be ready for an update.

Also what's more efficient if you're not in an app and want to send or read a message via FB?

A - go into the main FB app, then go into the messages tab

Or

B - go straight into the messages app

No brainer really.....

TH55

macrumors 68040
Nov 5, 2011
Actually the messenger app is superior to the native Facebook app's messages section. Also it takes no additional time to get into the messages app than the messenger section. I don't trust App Store reviews due to trolling. I trust personal experience only.

Having the messages app separate means that the team working on it can improve it and fix it and roll updates out when they need, separate from the main app. Would you prefer they didn't do that? That we would have to wait until the main app got an update to then allow messages to be updated too?

Making stuff up to try and support your point there about needing to have phone number to properly work. You do not need to have a phone number to use the messages app, I've never put my number into the app and I've never allowed phone book syncing and it works fine. Putting a phone number is is optional.

----------

I just compared it on an iPhone 5S. Same amount of time to get into the messenger app as the messages section. No blank screens. Plus I'm even running it on iOS 8 beta. Additionally if I want to message someone I go straight into the messenger app rather than open Facebook, then tap messages. One less step, freeing up more time....

Not everyone has a 5S, there are millions of people still using 5, 4S, 4 and even 3GS. I just counted and it took a full 10 seconds to switch to messenger. Ridiculous, this change won't last. Esp considering most people don't like it to begin with, when they are finally forced to "update" to the 2 app system they will despise it.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Not everyone has a 5S, there are millions of people still using 5, 4S, 4 and even 3GS. I just counted and it took a full 10 seconds to switch to messenger. Ridiculous, this change won't last. Esp considering most people don't like it to begin with, when they are finally forced to "update" to the 2 app system they will despise it.
Just counted on my 5, and it took maybe 3 seconds. I don't really remember it being much faster when it was in the Facebook app itself since messages still had rendered when accessing them the first time--and if it was it's likely because the Facebook app itself took longer to start up in the beginning by that much since in addition to loading all the Facebook stuff related to news feed and the like it also had to load all the messages and messenger related functionalities. So it's not like you are suddenly presented with noticeably more time, it's more that it was shifted a bit, and perhaps because of this shift the overall load time of the Facebook app can be faster by that much, and the load time of Messenger on its own can be faster as well when you might need to message someone or read a message from someone without loading the whole Facebook app just to do it.

(Oh, and 3GS probably wouldn't even count since both of the current Facebook and Messenger apps require iOS 7.)

ihonda

Suspended
Sep 17, 2009
looks like they plugged the work around for nonjb-iOS users. both apps have been deleted now using m.facebook.com :\

Tap To Play

macrumors newbie
Aug 31, 2014
I think it's strange that people weren't already using Messenger to begin with. I've been using the Messenger app for years, it's a lot easier that way.

Ok, you now have two icons. But is that such a big deal? Or what exactly is the problem? (Just wondering, as I can't see it).

TH55

macrumors 68040
Nov 5, 2011
I think it's strange that people weren't already using Messenger to begin with. I've been using the Messenger app for years, it's a lot easier that way.

Ok, you now have two icons. But is that such a big deal? Or what exactly is the problem? (Just wondering, as I can't see it).

Yeah, it's way less efficient to have to switch apps then just toggling to the messages tab.

TH55

macrumors 68040
Nov 5, 2011
Less efficient in what sense?

It takes a lot longer and is annoying and cumbersome, completely breaks the smoothness of the interface having to switch apps. If everyone hates it (and no not just like they "hate" any change, this is unprecedented backlash) why do you insist on defending it?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
It takes a lot longer and is annoying. If everyone hates it (and no not just like they "hate" any change, this is unprecedented backlash) why do you insist on defending it?
As far as timing, can't say I've seen it taking it longer, especially if you consider that when messenger was/is part of the Facebook app then the Facebook app loads somewhat slower because it has to also account for the messaging piece of it all, so mostly if there are some initial delays when loading the messenger app for the first time it's basically that time that would have been part of the Facebook app loading initially further slowing it down even of you didn't need to use messaging in many instances. Seems like separating it all can actually help in that sense.

As for hating it, certainly not everyone does, plenty don't really care much about it one way or another, and some even it like it separate too.

Tap To Play

macrumors newbie
Aug 31, 2014
Yeah, it's way less efficient to have to switch apps then just toggling to the messages tab.

As I've said, I've been using it like this for years (at least two). I've had the FB app first, and once I discovered the messenger app, the whole experience became a lot smoother for me.

I hardly ever switch apps though. If I get a message, I click (or slide) the notification, and I go to the correct app. Maybe if you happen to be in the FB app while you get a message, it now could take a second or two longer, but I can't really remember that ever being an issue (and I'm a user that wants everything to be quick and snappy).

Give it a chance. After using both apps for so long - and I do about 90% of my messaging with FB, from personal stuff to talking to clients - I personally would hate to have to use the FB app for messages. I can understand that people have different experiences and expectations, but if this is a new change, maybe wait until you're used to it before being so angered about it :)

shandyman

Suspended
Apr 24, 2010
Dublin, Ireland
It takes a lot longer and is annoying and cumbersome, completely breaks the smoothness of the interface having to switch apps. If everyone hates it (and no not just like they "hate" any change, this is unprecedented backlash) why do you insist on defending it?

It takes about the same time, plus in the messenger app, there's a 'tap to return to Facebook' button at the top. It's no longer than when it was built in.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.