Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TH55

macrumors 68040
Nov 5, 2011
Wow. So many people picking up their ball and going home.

Par for course on MR.

Probably because it's a bull **** forced downgrade to a (relatively) fine user experience. Their efforts should be focused on improving the main app, not unnecessarily complicating the experience by forcing us to download a separate app for an extremely basic function. I agree with this other user who compared these draconian jerks to Google, I'm furious.

----------

I wonder if this move leaves Facebook vulnerable to someone else filling the void of a all-in-one social media app? There's Google+, but Google is the only company that I trust less than Facebook.

+1 on that, I HATE Google. When did they become such an evil empire? They used to be the pinnacle of convenience and efficiency, now they continually go downhill with every forced change to their search engine. Is it that design lady? I've heard people say she's been behind most of the awful changes.

I seriously hope you're right and that someone does come in and steal the throne from Facebook and knock both of these tyrants down a peg forcing them to reconsider their userbase.

Last edited:

TH55

macrumors 68040
Nov 5, 2011
Those leaving because of something like this (especially saying that you don't need Facebook messaging anyway, meaning simply having a Facebook app without messaging in it would actually be better), are those who don't care about Facebook anyway, in which case it's all moot.

Wrong, this is a huge inconvenience and a slap in the face to Facebook's extremely broad userbase. There are now an entirely new generation of people (40-80 year olds) who use Facebook as well and will be extremely confused and frustrated with this unnecessary complication to their user experience.

The prevalance of this demographic is what's begun to chase the younger generation away seeing Facebook now as "uncool" and seeking refuge in Twitter and Instagram. This is a BAD move for Facebook, you watch. They are at a crucial point right now in holding their place as the number one social network, MySpace got too big for its britches and we all remember what happened to them. If there is one thing people hate it is forced inferior changes and fixing things that aren't broken. People will only continue to use such services as much as they have to until a better option comes along.

Last edited:

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
Probably because it's a bull **** forced downgrade to a (relatively) fine user experience. Their efforts should be focused on improving the main app, not unnecessarily complicating the experience by forcing us to download a separate app for an extremely basic function. I agree with this other user who compared these draconian jerks to Google, I'm furious.

----------

+1 on that, I HATE Google. When did they become such an evil empire? They used to be the pinnacle of convenience and efficiency, now they continually go downhill with every forced change to their search engine. Is it that design lady? I've heard people say she's been behind most of the awful changes.

I seriously hope you're right and that someone does come in and steal the throne from Facebook and knock both of these tyrants down a peg forcing them to reconsider their userbase.

People who mainly use messenger now have an upgraded experience.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Wrong, this is a huge inconvenience and a slap in the face to Facebook's extremely broad userbase. There are now an entirely new generation of people (40-80 year olds) who use Facebook as well and will be extremely confused and frustrated with this unnecessary complication to their user experience.

The prevalanve of this demographic is what's begun to chase the younger generation away seeing Facebook now as "uncool" and seeking refuge in Twitter and Instagram. This is a BAD move for Facebook, you watch. They are at a crucial point right now in holding their place as the number one social network, MySpace got too big for its britches and we all remember what happened to them. If there is one thing people hate it is forced inferior changes and fixing things that aren't broken. People will only continue to use such services as much as they have to until a better option comes along.
The majority of the broad userbase won't really care enough about this one way or another, at least not after a day or two.

mattburley7

macrumors 68040
Oct 13, 2011
with today's 13.0 update I am still able to chat from the main app

I thought they were turning this off within a few days?

shandyman

Suspended
Apr 24, 2010
Dublin, Ireland
Facebook to Cut Messaging From Main App in Effort to Focus on Facebook Messenger

Probably because it's a bull **** forced downgrade to a (relatively) fine user experience. Their efforts should be focused on improving the main app, not unnecessarily complicating the experience by forcing us to download a separate app for an extremely basic function.

How is it a downgrade? Have you seen how it works? It's been in place for people that have the messenger app installed for a few months. In the Facebook app, you tap the messages icon and you're swapped to the messages app just as quick as it took you to the old messages section. when you're gone, tap the top of the screen and you're taken back to the Facebook app. For a user experience, there is no slowdown. If anything it's a better experience, as the messenger app and Facebook app's can be updated as and when, without relying on the main Facebook app. Which is good since there's a team of developers purely dedicated to the messages app. The only downside (of which is trivial) is that there's an additional icon on the home screen, which in itself could be a bonus as it means less steps to reply to a message from someone on there.

Anyone got any actual realistic and valid points against it? Or is it simply uninformed, immature or anti change rubbish only?

valleian

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2014
New York
We'll now Facebook is attempting to make me update the app. No. I will not lose messages. I have no need for a second app. I like having free space on my phone for a reason, downloading a plethora of Facebook apps is not the reason. Once Facebook succeeds, I'll just notify my friends that for now on, they'll be texting me if they want to talk privately. I use messages enough, but not so frequently that I can justify having a seperate app, especially their half assed messenger.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
We'll now Facebook is attempting to make me update the app. No. I will not lose messages. I have no need for a second app. I like having free space on my phone for a reason, downloading a plethora of Facebook apps is not the reason. Once Facebook succeeds, I'll just notify my friends that for now on, they'll be texting me if they want to talk privately. I use messages enough, but not so frequently that I can justify having a seperate app, especially their half assed messenger.
Having another app is much less of an issue (or really a non issue) than anyone makes out to be.

valleian

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2014
New York
Having another app is much less of an issue (or really a non issue) than anyone makes out to be.

It's an issue because they are crippling the main app by taking a perfectly functioning feature out of it, simply to get some more real estate on your screen. It's just one example of how desperate Facebook is to control people and invade every part of their life.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
It's an issue because they are crippling the main app by taking a perfectly functioning feature out of it, simply to get some more real estate on your screen. It's just one example of how desperate Facebook is to control people and invade every part of their life.
Or instead they are improving the main app by having its developers focus on the Facebook functionality and taking out some bloat and extra pieces of Messneger so that other developers can focus on it separately. Rationally speaking it seems like the apps would become better rather than worse.

poe diddley

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2005
greensboro nc
I know some people are here saying that it works great and everything, and i don't doubt for a second that it doesn't. However, i really think that at the heart of it, this is stupid. I now have to own three apps in order to use one website. The main fb app, the pages app for my work page, and now messenger just to send messages because they are forcing it. That just seems silly to me, and i continually ask myself what idiot at Fb makes these choices to make such drastic changes to fb every few months. It's like they just get bored since many of their changes are unwelcome, unintuitive, and come with a severe level of end user bitching. I understand tweaks and such, but if it ain't broke, stop trying to fix it.

BenTrovato

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2012
Canada
I know some people are here saying that it works great and everything, and i don't doubt for a second that it doesn't. However, i really think that at the heart of it, this is stupid. I now have to own three apps in order to use one website. The main fb app, the pages app for my work page, and now messenger just to send messages because they are forcing it. That just seems silly to me, and i continually ask myself what idiot at Fb makes these choices to make such drastic changes to fb every few months. It's like they just get bored since many of their changes are unwelcome, unintuitive, and come with a severe level of end user bitching. I understand tweaks and such, but if it ain't broke, stop trying to fix it.

I also don't understand it because they purchased whatsapp and are now eliminating a feature from their core app and transferring the functionality to a totally different application. And to begin with, they spent billions purchasing an app that already does what this is aiming to do. I've stopped using the fb messaging portion, it's too cumbersome now.

shandyman

Suspended
Apr 24, 2010
Dublin, Ireland
their half assed messenger.

If anything, the messages section on the FB app is half assed, the messenger app is a major improvement....

Wow. Dude, you got issues...

Or instead they are improving the main app by having its developers focus on the Facebook functionality and taking out some bloat and extra pieces of Messneger so that other developers can focus on it separately. Rationally speaking it seems like the apps would become better rather than worse.

rational does not exist on this forum! Lol. :)

it's too cumbersome now.

Using the messenger app in its new function is no more cumbersome than the old native messages section in the FB app.

valleian

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2014
New York
If anything, the messages section on the FB app is half assed, the messenger app is a major improvement....

Wow. Dude, you got issues...

rational does not exist on this forum! Lol. :)

Using the messenger app in its new function is no more cumbersome than the old native messages section in the FB app.

I have issues because I believe that having a perfectly functioning feature taken out of an app, so it can have its own app, thus forcing you to have two apps to handle the functionality that is suddenly impossible for one app to offer. And the idea of something being half assed is subjective. My idea of something being half assed is when it requires even further information about you (something that I have no real worry of, being 18 and having no real connections to money or power that would jeopardize my future, though I understand why others have to worry abut this feature), and has more option in the category of messaging, yet so many of them are glitchy, unreliable, and force users to have a phone number to properly work (the latter problem doesn't apply to me (I own iPhone 5s, thus have a phone number) but applies to many peers of mine). If I have issues, i guess a lot of people do, just look at some of the backlash Facebook has received in the past couple of days. Also if you don't believe me, whip out an iOS device and look at the reviews and ratings of Messenger. (I'll save you some time, they're not good) :)

GalFriday

macrumors member
May 18, 2014
Northeast US
Still.... stay away from FB and all sort of media. Make real friends, call them visit a different one every night, have wine, drinks, prepare dinner for a "petite comité", plan a trip. Invest your life in to that. You will have a blast.

How condescending and insulting. The people I am connected to on Facebook ARE "real" friends. I have seen them in person many times, and spoken to them on the phone. However they happen to be scattered around the country so Facebook keeps us connected between visits.

I have a very full and fulfilling life, thank you.

GalFriday

macrumors member
May 18, 2014
Northeast US
- I dont want to be bombared by requests to review places of interest near me (i NEVER agreed to this or signed up to it. Everytime i receive one i simple rate it 1 star & write nonsense aimed at FB spamming me for reviews of places some ive never been to!

Wow you're immature. Punishing innocent businesses because you're mad at Facebook is juvenile and pointless. You're not teaching Facebook anything by doing that, but you are on the road to having your account banned by them if enough businesses do the right thing and report you for your troll posts.

TH55

macrumors 68040
Nov 5, 2011
How is it a downgrade? Have you seen how it works? It's been in place for people that have the messenger app installed for a few months. In the Facebook app, you tap the messages icon and you're swapped to the messages app just as quick as it took you to the old messages section. when you're gone, tap the top of the screen and you're taken back to the Facebook app. For a user experience, there is no slowdown.
That's not true at all, it is nowhere near as quick. Tapping the in-app messages tab before took you to your list of conversations instantly, this takes several seconds of a blank screen while it's loading. This is just one of many people's problems with the change.
Anyone got any actual realistic and valid points against it? Or is it simply uninformed, immature or anti change rubbish only?
Considering the huge backlash Facebook is getting right now for the change I'd say you're in the small minority who isn't pissed about it. There have been plenty of valid reasons stated for disliking the update.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
That's not true at all, it is nowhere near as quick. Tapping the in-app messages tab before took you to your list of conversations instantly, this takes several seconds of a blank screen while it's loading. This is just one of many people's problems with the change.

Considering the huge backlash Facebook is getting right now for the change I'd say you're in the small minority who isn't pissed about it. There have been plenty of valid reasons stated for disliking the update.
What huge backlash?

shandyman

Suspended
Apr 24, 2010
Dublin, Ireland
I have issues because I believe that having a perfectly functioning feature taken out of an app, so it can have its own app, thus forcing you to have two apps to handle the functionality that is suddenly impossible for one app to offer. And the idea of something being half assed is subjective. My idea of something being half assed is when it requires even further information about you (something that I have no real worry of, being 18 and having no real connections to money or power that would jeopardize my future, though I understand why others have to worry abut this feature), and has more option in the category of messaging, yet so many of them are glitchy, unreliable, and force users to have a phone number to properly work (the latter problem doesn't apply to me (I own iPhone 5s, thus have a phone number) but applies to many peers of mine). If I have issues, i guess a lot of people do, just look at some of the backlash Facebook has received in the past couple of days. Also if you don't believe me, whip out an iOS device and look at the reviews and ratings of Messenger. (I'll save you some time, they're not good) :)

Actually the messenger app is superior to the native Facebook app's messages section. Also it takes no additional time to get into the messages app than the messenger section. I don't trust App Store reviews due to trolling. I trust personal experience only.

Having the messages app separate means that the team working on it can improve it and fix it and roll updates out when they need, separate from the main app. Would you prefer they didn't do that? That we would have to wait until the main app got an update to then allow messages to be updated too?

Making stuff up to try and support your point there about needing to have phone number to properly work. You do not need to have a phone number to use the messages app, I've never put my number into the app and I've never allowed phone book syncing and it works fine. Putting a phone number is is optional.

----------

I just compared it on an iPhone 5S. Same amount of time to get into the messenger app as the messages section. No blank screens. Plus I'm even running it on iOS 8 beta. Additionally if I want to message someone I go straight into the messenger app rather than open Facebook, then tap messages. One less step, freeing up more time....

TH55

macrumors 68040
Nov 5, 2011
Doesn't matter...bottom line, most people don't like the change and for good reason. It's a stupid, inferior change! You will never win the argument that having it consolidated in one app isn't more efficient than 2.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Doesn't matter...bottom line, most people don't like the change and for good reason. It's a stupid, inferior change! You will never win the argument that having it consolidated in one app isn't more efficient than 2.
Most people?

And even if somehow a majority of people didn't, doesn't mean they are correct as simply having a majority believing something doesn't make it right or good.

TH55

macrumors 68040
Nov 5, 2011
Most people?

And even if somehow a majority of people didn't, doesn't mean they are correct as simply having a majority believing something doesn't make it right or good.

No, but it makes it the majority opinion of the consumer which the producer wouldn't exist without and the product is made for.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.