Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

How often does FaceID work for you?

• Total voters

macsrcool1234

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 7, 2010
Can someone give tips on optimal setup for faceid? It's extremely frustrating how often faceid is failing to recognize me. i've redone setup like 10 times already.

the biggest problem seems to be it only works in the conditions i did the original setup. These are some of the things that make it start missing nearly all of the time:

1. Putting on glasses
2. Laying down
3. Different lighting conditions (it has yet to work in any kind of dim light darkness at all)

im really starting to wonder how many real world scenarios Apple tested in

i am not seeing similar experience on the internet.....what am i doing wrong?

Last edited:

iHeartsteve

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2012
Mine had issues with my glasses on as well. Works seamlessly with out glasses on and even with dim lighting.

CjonesHouston

macrumors 65816
Apr 29, 2015
Texas
Bring it back. It’s a lemon. Sh*t is Flawless. I haven’t had any problems. Outside,in dark room,laying down,glasses off and on. Works so fast I just swipe up and it is unlocked. Do a hard reset. Press volume up. Then volume down. Then hold down the power button for 10 seconds. If that don’t work. Bring it back.

deadworlds

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2007
Citrus Heights,CA
Mine is working flawlessly as well in a variety of lights and even angles. I know you said you re-did the setup about 10 times but, I want to ask if you rotated your head quickly or slowly during the setup process. I also held my phone on a table in front of me so it scanned my face more from the bottom.

Reactions: Vampire14

mazdamiata210

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2014
Mine has been flawless except when it's on my desk because it can't see me. Also keeping 1 eye closed it still opens.

Packers1958

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2017
South Dakota
When doing FaceID, I set mine up with my glasses off. Then get all of your head in the viewfinder and rotate 3 dimensionally. IOW, just dont rotate your head in a circle, also move it up/down left and right as you are rotating your head in a circle.

Reactions: Vampire14

eoblaed

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010
Can someone give tips on optimal setup for faceid? It's extremely frustrating how often faceid is failing to recognize me. i've redone setup like 10 times already.

the biggest problem seems to be it only works in the conditions i did the original setup. These are some of the things that make it start missing nearly all of the time:

1. Putting on glasses
2. Laying down
3. Different lighting conditions (it has yet to work in any kind of dim light darkness at all)

im really starting to wonder how many real world scenarios Apple tested in

i am not seeing similar experience on the internet.....what am i doing wrong?

Dunno what’s wrong with your phone, but mine’s been flawless as well, even under conditions people were afraid of previously. See my post from this morning after I got my X:

https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...i-jim’s-and-bright-sun.2083975/#post-25377119

QquegChristian

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2010
My wife’s was way slower than mine and way less consistent. She was holding phone closer to her face and rotating her head super quick when she set it up. She redid setup further back (arm almost fully extended) and moved her head slower. Now it works super fast and at all angles for her.

Packers1958

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2017
South Dakota
My wife’s was way slower than mine and way less consistent. She was holding phone closer to her face and rotating her head super quick when she set it up. She redid setup further back (arm almost fully extended) and moved her head slower. Now it works super fast and at all angles for her.

That's the key. People think it's taking a "picture" of their face, when it's actually trying to create a 3D rendering, so it needs the head to be moving in all directions.

mebehere

macrumors 65816
Sep 21, 2012
Mine has been absolutely flawless. With and without glasses and with and without a hat. So perfect in fact that I don't even think about it. It has already just become this automatic thing that happens when I pick up my phone.

You have great luck. Never any issues.

irobots

macrumors member
Feb 12, 2014
No issues. Even unlocks in the dark. Was watching previews in the movie theatre and I took my phone out of my pocket and unlocks like a charm.

flat five

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2007
newyorkcity
what am i doing wrong?
hard to say tbh because it really does work incredibly well.. i mean, i know (most) everybody else is saying similar but i think that's because it's true and not some sort of denial phase.

two things i suppose i'd recommend..

• update to iOS 11.1 (not actually sure if this will help but i'll recommend regardless)

• when it fails to unlock, enter your passcode instead of sleeping the phone and trying again.. my understanding is that it will learn as you go along and the passcode is what's telling it that you're there and to remember the failed ID as being one that should be correct..

Reactions: SparklyApple
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.