Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

How often does FaceID work for you?

• Total voters

tangfish

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2014
Mine has worked awesome, with and without glasses, hat, etc. the only thing that consistently makes it malfunction is trying to do it while brushing my teeth

geekiemac

macrumors 65816
Feb 13, 2016
No issues neither. I tried a lot of different angles, with or without (my two pairs of) glasses, and it always worked. Even in the dark, i.e. watching TV... as long as I'm looking at the iPhone and the angle is not too narrow, it will unlock.
Works way better than TouchID on my iPad... and as good as TouchID used to work on my previous phone. :)

mcarthon

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2010
Mine has been working better lately even when I’m laying down used to not work that well had to sit up some.

haqsha23

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2017
Mississauga
Mine works great except when its lying flat or I'm not looking with my eyes (i turned the feature off to). While sometimes annoying, it is what it is and will only get better.

To be honest, one complaint i have is the change from a 4 to 6 digit passcode. A lot of times i'll be at my desk and want to unnlock my iphone, i know face ID wont work because its lying flat so i have to enter in a passcode. Given how many times a day i do this, a 6 digit code is just annoying. I find it hard to believe that someone who would/could steal your 4 digit code would have a much harder time with a 6 digit code... I wish we could change it/have the option.

ferjilo

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2015
w Polska
For me FaceID works GREAT since the very first day. I had a lot of problems with TouchID (I guess my finger prints change everyday or whatever) and faceID is wonderful. It has failed only once (catching it from the side so probably wrong angle) and its even working looking from the top, from the side, laying on bed, under direct sun with or without sunglasses... amazing. I am very happy with it.

PS: maybe the way I set it up helped (maybe not) I did first setup clockwise more or less perpendicular to my face and the second counterclockwise a little from below

Contra1971

macrumors member
Dec 7, 2016
San Antonio
It sounds like you need to erase the Face ID and then start all over it only takes a couple of moments but it needs to be reset probably

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.