Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Future-Proof

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 29, 2018
Will you play it? It’s entirely online without npc’s except for robots and monsters as confirmed by Howard. Other players are the “npc’s”.

I will never buy it

garnerx

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2012
It sounds like this is to Fallout as GTA Online is to proper GTA.

I'm not remotely interested in it but then I didn't like the direction they took the series with Fallout 4 - inflexible story, minimal roleplaying, annoying crafting and bases - so I guess this just isn't for me any more.

Future-Proof

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 29, 2018
It sounds like this is to Fallout as GTA Online is to proper GTA.

I'm not remotely interested in it but then I didn't like the direction they took the series with Fallout 4 - inflexible story, minimal roleplaying, annoying crafting and bases - so I guess this just isn't for me any more.

Me neither. Taking most of the RPG elements out of Fallout 4 is why I never bought that title. I wonder if they’ll add more RPG to 76. Either way hope they fix all of that in Fallout 5 true single-player

panjandrum

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2009
United States
It really depends. Fallout 3, NV & 4 are certainly some of my favorite games (well, once I've modded the bejesus out of them - they are insanely easy out of the box; something I've never enjoyed in games), as is DAO (and to a lesser extend DA2 and DAI). What do all these games lack that I, and my friends (and my daughter, and her friends) wish the had? Good old co-op multiplayer. We've actually dragged-out NWN2 again recently for a full multiplayer play-through (thank you GOG for making old games available in a playable format for cheap! - my old copies will no longer register.) Oh, and wishing all the tortures of hell on EA for chopping multiplayer from DAO!

So are we really interested a no-npc online-only Fallout? Not a chance. Sounds absolutely awful to us (we also *hate* the freaking base-building stuff in FO4, but luckily you can just ignore that completely if you want). But what would we be interested in? We would be very, very interested in the ability to create private co-op games in, say, Fallout 5! Hopefully more experience with multiplayer games will enable Bethesda to roll-out that kind of experience in the future.

For those Mac users who haven't played the Fallout series yet, FO3 & FO4 (and DAO, for that matter) play extremely well in bootcamp even with integrated graphics, and they are often available super-cheap. Definitely buy the GOG versions wherever available; it's not at all unusual to purchase Steam games only to find out they won't even launch on current versions of Windows, as far as I can tell GOG makes sure their games actually function as designed before selling them through their service.

Tip; If you don't know whether Bootcamp and these games are for you, just download the Win10 iso from Microsoft for free and skip the registration process. You can register Win10 later (or not).
[doublepost=1528826517][/doublepost]
Me neither. Taking most of the RPG elements out of Fallout 4 is why I never bought that title. I wonder if they’ll add more RPG to 76. Either way hope they fix all of that in Fallout 5 true single-player

Out of curiosity why do you think they took the RPG elements out of Fallout 4? It's got far, far more interesting characters that FO3 did (much more like FNV) and overall plays very much like both FO3 and FNV. And like everything else Bethesda releases, once you've figure out what mods to install for your own tastes you are all set.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
Not my type of game, but looks very well done..

Bethesda wiped up everyone else as far as their E3 presentation... ;)

Bethesda wiped up everyone else's, swallowed it, spit it back out, and then destroyed it with one of their Fallout Nukes.... :eek:

;)

Future-Proof

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 29, 2018
Out of curiosity why do you think they took the RPG elements out of Fallout 4? It's got far, far more interesting characters that FO3 did (much more like FNV) and overall plays very much like both FO3 and FNV. And like everything else Bethesda releases, once you've figure out what mods to install for your own tastes you are all set.

FO4 doesn’t have much in terms of rpg mechanics: dialog, unique quests, weapon condition, skills, etc — All stripped from FO3. Why? To attract new and casual gamers rather than RPG fans. they didn’t invest nearly enough time into quests.

panjandrum

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2009
United States
FO4 doesn’t have much in terms of rpg mechanics: dialog, unique quests, weapon condition, skills, etc — All stripped from FO3. Why? To attract new and casual gamers rather than RPG fans. they didn’t invest nearly enough time into quests.

IDK, I'm not sure you've gotten solid information about that. I've played all three extensively and in terms of gameplay they are pretty darn similar, and many of the quests in FO4 are quite good. Yeah, there are problems, but there are problems with all three of them (like the need to mod them for even the most basic level of challenge, and FO4 is even worse than the prior Bethesda offerings in this way - it's absurdly easy if you use any intelligence and strategy at all during play, so IMHO players should mod the hell out of it for difficulty). I suppose if you are into some very specific game mechanics (like weapon degradation & repair) you may not like it as much, but then again you can almost certainly add anything you want with mods anyway. When it comes to RPGs I'm far more into story-telling, character-interaction, aesthetics and atmosphere than I am any specific mechanic (Dragon Age Origins is my single favorite RPG of all-time, even beating out the classic BG and BGII for me, so that should give you an idea where I'm coming from in terms of personal taste.). If I were you I would wait until the price drops considerably (probably already has) and then give it a whirl. I think you'll enjoy it a lot more than you think you will - some of the companions and quests are really fantastic and enjoyable, and while the characters still aren't up to what you see in some RPGs from other developers, they are a huge step up from other Bethesda offerings (outside of FNV, which Bethesda didn't develop in-house).

Last edited:
Reactions: Huntn

darksithpro

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2016
Same build as me. It'll play extremely well on our hardware. Can't wait to try out Battlefield V as well! For Honor starter pack is free till the 18th, so if you might be interested, go ahead and claim it before it gets a price again.

Hell yea! The 1080ti is equivalent to a Titan XP! Gddr5x mofo! Having fun playing PubG at 1440P with over 100fps! buuyaaa!!

Future-Proof

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 29, 2018
IDK, I'm not sure you've gotten solid information about that. I've played all three extensively and in terms of gameplay they are pretty darn similar, and many of the quests in FO4 are quite good. Yeah, there are problems, but there are problems with all three of them (like the need to mod them for even the most basic level of challenge, and FO4 is even worse than the prior Bethesda offerings in this way - it's absurdly easy if you use any intelligence and strategy at all during play, so IMHO players should mod the hell out of it for difficulty). I suppose if you are into some very specific game mechanics (like weapon degradation & repair) you may not like it as much, but then again you can almost certainly add anything you want with mods anyway. When it comes to RPGs I'm far more into story-telling, character-interaction, aesthetics and atmosphere than I am any specific mechanic (Dragon Age Origins is my single favorite RPG of all-time, even beating out the classic BG and BGII for me, so that should give you an idea where I'm coming from in terms of personal taste.). If I were you I would wait until the price drops considerably (probably already has) and then give it a whirl. I think you'll enjoy it a lot more than you think you will - some of the companions and quests are really fantastic and enjoyable, and while the characters still aren't up to what you see in some RPGs from other developers, they are a huge step up from other Bethesda offerings (outside of FNV, which Bethesda didn't develop in-house).

Hey can you mod it with just the base game or do you need the special editions/DLC in order to mod it?

Glad you mentioned DA:O just got it. Sounds like I’ll really enjoy it.

My main turn off for FO4 is the main story. It’s just childish (aside from what I’ve heard about RPG mechanics but sounds like you’ve enjoyed its RPG elements)

panjandrum

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2009
United States
Hey can you mod it with just the base game or do you need the special editions/DLC in order to mod it?

Glad you mentioned DA:O just got it. Sounds like I’ll really enjoy it.

My main turn off for FO4 is the main story. It’s just childish (aside from what I’ve heard about RPG mechanics but sounds like you’ve enjoyed its RPG elements)

You can mod FO4 without difficulty on PC, no special versions needed. I don't use Bethesda's own mod community (don't even remember what they call it), but modding through the Nexus is pretty easy to do (and, unlike Skyrim, FO4 doesn't become wickedly unstable when modded). Apparently they even support mods on consoles, I would guess only those through Bethesda's own mod community.

IMHO you should play DAO once with zero mods (except possibly a basic texture upgrade: https://www.nexusmods.com/dragonage/mods/3869 ), and just maybe Forced Deathblows: ( https://www.nexusmods.com/dragonage/mods/220 ) because it's very good that way and you don't want any game-breaking problems. But I've played all subsequent play-throughs past my first with "Extra Dog Slot" without problems, so you can bring a dog in addition to your other companions (I've had no problems with that one, but some people have).

If you haven't really done much game-modding before however be warned - it's a rabbit-hole! If you go down it be prepared to spend a lot of time there...

Last edited:

thisismyusername

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2015
Nope. I have no interest in this. I don't know why gaming companies insist on making their awesome single player franchises multiplayer. The best way to ruin a great single player game is to make it multiplayer.

At the least, I hope they don't screw it up like Rockstar did with GTA Online. That game is pretty much just full of griefers and, on the PC, hackers/modders ruining your experience and you have to use exploits to basically turn it into a single-player game so you can actually get stuff done without getting blown up, reverted back down to level 1, etc.

Reactions: compwiz1202

panjandrum

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2009
United States
Nope. I have no interest in this. I don't know why gaming companies insist on making their awesome single player franchises multiplayer. The best way to ruin a great single player game is to make it multiplayer.

IMHO the problem isn't so much the multiplayer function itself, but the fact that modern game publishers have almost completely given-up on the type of multiplayer that so many of us enjoy; cooperative multiplayer. There was a day when you could pick up a brand-new game, host a server, and have friends join you in an adventure, and it could be freaking great. I'm not saying there is no point in player vs. player games, that can be fun too, but they are a very different type of multiplayer experience. Maybe it is mostly down to EA, who axed co-op multiplayer from DAO as soon as the purchased Bioware (and then halfway ruined both sequels by attempting to meld great, complex, rich character-and-story-drive RPGs with mind-numbingly simple and boring button-mashing "action" combat mechanics; the now normal BiowEAre norm). That definitely seems to have been something of a turning-point - when RPGs became overwhelmingly single-player and multiplayer was mostly relegated to PvP.

• Love
Reactions: compwiz1202

Suture

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2007
I'll be picking it up for Xbox One to play with my brother and friends. I played all of the other Fallouts to death, except for 4, which I never even remotely finished. Eventually I'll give it another go.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I love Fallout 4, and I was excited about this when the teaser video was released but not, I'll not be buying/playing it.
Coop only, no single player, lack of NPCs, needing to cook/eat to survive, radiation mutates you. Just about everything I loved about fallout appears to be missing or not implemented.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I’ve played the heck out of Fallout 4 and love it. I have been considering F76, but the lack of in-game human characters bothers me and the difference between an immersive solo game, in a world for my shaping, versus one polluted by other people in a MMO environment concerns me. Much of my attraction to F4 was based on in-game survivors and helping rebuild settlements. My guess is that mods in F76 are very limited In comparison to F4.

Here is a good review:

Other comments about Fallout 4, my opinion:
  • The main quest is worthy and intriguing, not childish as someone claimed.
  • The Institute is a good villain that you can align yourself with or fight it.
  • Some people love settlement building and others don’t.
  • Some people will find combat, clearing out locations repetitive, grindy, and other’s like myself won’t. :) Some locations will remain cleared, but there are triggers in the game that can repopulate locations with bad guys, especially when the game sends you back there to find something, but not always.
  • There are terrific community created mods that add adds gear, and story content.
  • Multiple factions that are inherently different on their outlook about the direction the Commonwealth should take. You can align with all of them, but the vanilla game will try to make you pick just one or two and kill the others. That does not have to be, even with the vanilla game, but you have to read up on where not to do specific quests. Some of it is as simple as don’t do a quest where one faction quest asks you to attack another faction. NOTE: This rich environment is based on human NPCs, which F76 is missing.
  • The vanilla game structure does try to funnel you to several specific endings, but within the structure of the game you can make some changes as previously stated, which requires a longer conversation, but it’s not difficult. And using the outstanding content mods that are available, you can completely change the ending, change significant events, and open the game up to what it could of, should of been.

Reactions: iMi

iMi

Suspended
Sep 13, 2014
I’ve played the heck out of Fallout 4 and love it. I have been considering F76, but the lack of in-game human characters bothers me and the difference between an immersive solo game, in a world for my shaping, versus one polluted by other people in a MMO environment concerns me. Much of my attraction to F4 was based on in-game survivors and helping rebuild settlements. My guess is that mods in F76 are very limited In comparison to F4.

Here is a good review:

Other comments about Fallout 4, my opinion:
  • The main quest is worthy and intriguing, not childish as someone claimed.
  • The Institute is a good villain that you can align yourself with or fight it.
  • Some people love settlement building and others don’t.
  • Some people will find combat, clearing out locations repetitive, grindy, and other’s like myself won’t. :) Some locations will remain cleared, but there are triggers in the game that can repopulate locations with bad guys, especially when the game sends you back there to find something, but not always.
  • There are terrific community created mods that add adds gear, and story content.
  • Multiple factions that are inherently different on their outlook about the direction the Commonwealth should take. You can align with all of them, but the vanilla game will try to make you pick just one or two and kill the others. That does not have to be, even with the vanilla game, but you have to read up on where not to do specific quests. Some of it is as simple as don’t do a quest where one faction quest asks you to attack another faction. NOTE: This rich environment is based on human NPCs, which F76 is missing.
  • The vanilla game structure does try to funnel you to several specific endings, but within the structure of the game you can make some changes as previously stated, which requires a longer conversation, but it’s not difficult. And using the outstanding content mods that are available, you can completely change the ending, change significant events, and open the game up to what it could of, should of been.

Fallout 4 is one of my all-time favorite games. I just built a Ryzen rig I call Vault 111.

8D9240D7-99A3-4001-8A7C-3B5D6260967F.jpeg
1680C956-D6BA-43BF-9FC8-57EF3362684C.jpeg

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I have been considering F76, but the lack of in-game human characters bothers me and the difference between an immersive solo game
The Wastelanders update will rectify that situation, that will be landing in early April. I've largely put the game down but I may pick it back up after this update.

Here's my opinion of FO76, which may not be 100% accurate since I've not played it in a long time.

The map is huge and empty, lack of human NPCs are noticeable.
The game is geared towards coop play, whereas I'm a solo player and as I went through the main quest, I hit a major hurdle at one point because my XP was too low to continue, i.e., enemies too strong.
things wear out too strong, but supplies to repair that can be too scarce. I'm thinking of armor mostly.

Overall, I enjoyed the gameplay and other players were generally well behaved

Reactions: Huntn and iMi

iMi

Suspended
Sep 13, 2014
The Wastelanders update will rectify that situation, that will be landing in early April. I've largely put the game down but I may pick it back up after this update.

Here's my opinion of FO76, which may not be 100% accurate since I've not played it in a long time.

The game is geared towards coop play, whereas I'm a solo player and as I went through the main quest, I hit a major hurdle at one point because my XP was too low to continue, i.e., enemies too strong.
things wear out too strong, but supplies to repair that can be too scarce. I'm thinking of armor mostly.

This is pretty spot on... that is the same impression I’ve had.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains

I suspect that if the server was full of players that the discovery aspect of finding notes, and reading about what went on at some point would be strained and feel artificial. It’s almost as if this game would be better not as an MMO, but as a coop game.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Here's YT that provides some background and context if you've not play the game very much

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Here's YT that provides some background and context if you've not play the game very much

Interesting. At least the plague explains why there were no AI humans in game. With the Wastelanders update, does this result in a new area being introduced or does it just change basic game mechanics across the landscape or both?

After the my experience with F4 which has been a great experience, I’m wondering how satisfying I’d find this Environment.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.