Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

imrazor

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2010
Dol Amroth
On a somewhat different topic, has anyone had any luck running Fallout 76 with any of the PC emulation options on a Mac? Fallout 4 mostly works, so it's somewhat surprising that F76 seems to be a non-starter.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
It's an expensive option, but if you 'rent' a private server your base will never conflict with anyone else's. Of course, that costs real world money, and it is a truly solo experience. That may not be an option if you value any of the social aspects of the game (I don't much myself.)
Would rather just have a solo game sitting on my computer. :)

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Made it to level 900
I don't consider a major milestone, though I seem to hit the 100 mark about 8 months of game play. The big one will be 1000. Once I get close to acheiving it (970 range), I'll probably do some serious grinding.
1711384914296.png

Tomorrow is the big update, and they made major changes to the season - those changes have been met with mixed reviews on reddit. Given my playstyle, I'll reserve judgement until I can experience it first hand

without tripping over other (real) people.
I've said this many times, I prefer solo, and I generally go on the private server, but I've been on the public server for a little while now, and one thing that is a blast is the events and the team effort to acheive the goal. The community is really good, most of us give away stuff to newbies coming through, be they low level weapons, stimpacks etc. I've made armor for some newbies in the past. Its a great experience, and once you finish the storilines events are generally the only thing left, though I prefer making different camps and exploring

Reactions: Huntn

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
A lot of hate is being directed towards the new season, as I mentioned they changed how you progress and rewards are handed out. Made it a lot more grindier but also less rewards, both in value, but also volume.

I was largely tired of doing the seasons and I barely finished last season's simply because I had stopped play for a number of months. I'm unsure if I'll dedicate my time to doing this season

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Just a minor update to this morning's post. The anger is palpable to be sure, but its just not the new seasons/battle pass setup. Its also the fact this update has broken enemy spawning, so much so, many events are bugged to the point where you cannot complete them.

I run hot and cold on events, up until this past week I was doing them to grind for legendary weapons and caps. Now I'm done with that, I've not done any and I'm back on a private server

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
The game is experiencing a huge influx of players - very cool to see so many folks trying the game out. I think there maybe a free weekend event or something. The new Amazon Fallout series is definitely driving people to the game.
1713023515889.png

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I plan on starting the show tomorrow...
I've heard good things, though I'm staying away from details, as I want to not have any spoilers.

The various reddit subs are quite active with a renewed interest in the games, not just fallout 76.

Bethesda is releasing a refresh update for graphics and bug fixes for fallout 4 on the 25th. Its a free update which is nice.

Lihp8270

macrumors 65816
Dec 31, 2016
The game is experiencing a huge influx of players - very cool to see so many folks trying the game out. I think there maybe a free weekend event or something. The new Amazon Fallout series is definitely driving people to the game.
View attachment 2368080
I jumped in on the free weekend, and binging the fallout series last week.

It gave me the itch to play a fallout game, and I previously ignored this due to the bad press. But YouTube suggests it’s good these days. So I’m in and playing.

Reactions: maflynn

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I jumped in on the free weekend
Ahh, I thought I heard it was the free weekend, but I couldn't be sure.
Fallout 76 is getting near its all time player level of 32k, with a 28,000 people in the last 24 hours.
1713099710361.png

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I've heard good things, though I'm staying away from details, as I want to not have any spoilers.

The various reddit subs are quite active with a renewed interest in the games, not just fallout 76.

Bethesda is releasing a refresh update for graphics and bug fixes for fallout 4 on the 25th. Its a free update which is nice.
Here is the thing about the F4 update, in the Steam community forum there is much hate because it is rumored to kill mods and there is no way you can prevent this update from happening in Steam. Read more here:
Post in thread 'Fallout 4 Discussion'
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/fallout-4-discussion.1939095/post-33070595

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I jumped in on the free weekend, and binging the fallout series last week.

It gave me the itch to play a fallout game, and I previously ignored this due to the bad press. But YouTube suggests it’s good these days. So I’m in and playing.
I’ve played F76 and personal preference much prefer the solo game F4. The diffference is in a solo game, it’s your world , not a theme park full of touristas waiting it line to participate in events. Stop by the factory at 4pm daily to watch the robots go crazy and take them out! :D

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
The diffference is in a solo game, it’s your world , not a theme park full of touristas waiting it line to participate in events.
Of course, and personally I prefer that as well, but with that said. Some of these events, with other players are so much fun. I'm a solo player myself, but Bethesda has a good amount of different timed events, like Mothman Equinox, Meat week, Fasnacht, etc. it provides an avenue for cooperative play, and some nice rewards/loot.

One of my favorite and most rewarding event, is Scorched Earth, where you drop a nuke on the Scorchbeast queen. Its the most fun when you a bunch of players and taking down the SBQ. As a high level player, you can launch a nuke solo and then solo that event. Not as fun

I get that it doesn't suit every fallout fan, or game player. I'm looking forward to the 25th and I'll start new play through of FO4.

dmccloud

macrumors 68030
Sep 7, 2009
Anchorage, AK
Fallout 76 is free for both PC and XBox (separate redemption codes) for Amazon Prime members right now, so this might be a good chance to try out the full game without shelling out any money.

fiftofar

macrumors newbie
Nov 20, 2019
Australia
I preordered Fallout 76, played it at launch for about an hour and that was it.
Watched the Fallout TV series, loved it, got interested in trying out 76 again and it’s been great.

I think I’ll be sticking to it.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I preordered Fallout 76, played it at launch for about an hour and that was it.
Watched the Fallout TV series, loved it, got interested in trying out 76 again and it’s been great.

I think I’ll be sticking to it.
If you like a solo experience take a peak at Fallout 4. The Sole survival story set in the Commonwealth (Boston) is wonderful. It’s been on sale at GOG.com for $10.

Reactions: fiftofar

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Fallout 76 is free for both PC and XBox
As I've been posting, there's a huge influx of players, I think the original launch of the game only had 28k of players or something like that where as now, its 51k.

I do find the sudden influx of newbies to challenging in some ways. Player population is capped at 24 players per server, and with so many new folks in game, the odds of having high level players in the same world is now quite low.

I'm not complaining, but if you're looking for some endgame activities, its harder to come by since the worlds are filled with level 1-50 players. This impacts how events are played since they're relatively inexperienced, finding player vendors, etc.

Again, this isn't a complaint, at this point its an embarrassment of riches, and I'll take a full world over an empty one (at least when I'm playing in the public world)

1713608470966.png

Lihp8270

macrumors 65816
Dec 31, 2016
As I've been posting, there's a huge influx of players, I think the original launch of the game only had 28k of players or something like that where as now, its 51k.

I do find the sudden influx of newbies to challenging in some ways. Player population is capped at 24 players per server, and with so many new folks in game, the odds of having high level players in the same world is now quite low.

I'm not complaining, but if you're looking for some endgame activities, its harder to come by since the worlds are filled with level 1-50 players. This impacts how events are played since they're relatively inexperienced, finding player vendors, etc.

Again, this isn't a complaint, at this point its an embarrassment of riches, and I'll take a full world over an empty one (at least when I'm playing in the public world)

View attachment 2370160
As one of those new players who has just hit level 27.

It’s kind of a fun perspective with the worlds being populated by us.

It’s a special and unique thing to have a level 700 rock up with all their fancy gear, save us and disappear into the sunset.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
It’s kind of a fun perspective with the worlds being populated by us.
No question, in fact I envy you. You're experiencing the game at a point where a lot of the headaches, and frustrations have been patched out of the game. I have re-played the main quest with a new charachter and it's fun, but to experience the world for the first time without the bugs, and issues is envious

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Looks like Fallout 76 is getting some nice price:
There’s never been a better time to get into Fallout 76

In truth, it never died, though it has stayed in decidedly niche territory for the past six years. Developer Bethesda Game Studios has released regular updates fixing (many of) the bugs, adding new ways to play, softening the game’s rough edges, and yes, introducing Fallout 3- or Fallout 4-like, character-driven quest lines with fully voiced NPCs—something many players felt was missing in the early days.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.