Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Super Xander

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 6, 2016
Denmark
No offense this is the dumbest thing I’ve heard. Without active cooling the components will be destroyed. If you want a computer without fans it doesn’t exist.
I see your point, but I haven’t thought to use it all the time. I have watched the CPU degree in a couple of time now, and so far when only during browsing and basic stuff, the CPU only runs at around 30 degrees celcius. The way I see it is that without fans it might run at 60 degrees celcius maybe and I will accept that.
I hope it makes sense. :)
What I really want is a MacBook like 13 2016, where fans never went on without you doing anything heavy.

impulse462

macrumors 68020
Jun 3, 2009
I see your point, but I haven’t thought to use it all the time. I have watched the CPU degree in a couple of time now, and so far when only during browsing and basic stuff, the CPU only runs at around 30 degrees celcius. The way I see it is that without fans it might run at 60 degrees celcius maybe and I will accept that.
I hope it makes sense. :)
What I really want is a MacBook like 13 2016, where fans never went on without you doing anything heavy.
the fans are always on. you just can't hear them. i dont know where everyone has gotten this idea. the fans are always on. without the fans it wont run at 60 Celsius (not really sure what you've based this off of). itll shoot straight to its TJ max and then shut off. it could probably cause permanent damage too. intel CPUs are meant to run with heatsinks and fans, they aren't ARM chips

Reactions: LoganT

LoganT

macrumors 68020
Jan 9, 2007
May I ask: What do you guys have against fan noise so much? Yeah I get it, a loud fan is not ideal but it’s there for reason. Are you guys music producers and the fan noise is being picked up by your microphone? Is it just annoying? I would learn to get over that. I’d maybe be able to understand if the fan noise was just someone screaming in agony for 20 minutes straight but it’s a low tone that resembles the devices you’re probably already using in your home, like a fan.

Apple makes low-powered-mostly-low fan noise computers. This is not one of them.

topcat001

macrumors 6502
Nov 17, 2019
A hexacore or octacore CPU will need some active cooling. I have a Surface Pro 5 with dual core i5 and it does not have a fan; only convective cooling. However, that CPU is about the limit for passive cooling.

Cfred

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2019
I will also confirm that having external monitors to the new 16" MBP i9 does make fans run loud even when idle or doing basic things. I didn't have this problem with my 2017 MBP i7.

I am posting an example of running just safari and mail both fans are running at 3200-2500 rpm. BTW 3500 rpm on my 2017 MBP is def less loud then this 3500 rpm on the 16" MBP.

DISAPPOINTED TOTALLY !!

1575838330809.png

impulse462

macrumors 68020
Jun 3, 2009
May I ask: What do you guys have against fan noise so much? Yeah I get it, a loud fan is not ideal but it’s there for reason. Are you guys music producers and the fan noise is being picked up by your microphone? Is it just annoying? I would learn to get over that. I’d maybe be able to understand if the fan noise was just someone screaming in agony for 20 minutes straight but it’s a low tone that resembles the devices you’re probably already using in your home, like a fan.

Apple makes low-powered-mostly-low fan noise computers. This is not one of them.
yeah im not sure what these people expect. 6 and 8-core cpus will generate heat. the computer is supposed to be a mobile workstation. connected to an external display (especially if its 5k) will push the dGPU. i assume that people most vocal about this complaint could just get by with a macbook pro 13" with the sole exception if someone is an audio engineer and is using the internal speakers for some reason

Reactions: niho and LoganT

topcat001

macrumors 6502
Nov 17, 2019
I observe similar behaviour on my Alienware. When the discrete GPU comes on the fans kick in and can be heard. It seems merely turning the GPU on generates a lot of heat. That being said, the fans are probably louder because they move more air (the Alienware has an effective cooling system with high capacity fans but they are loud). I'd be curious to see the temperatures on your 2017 i7 under the same usage. The new GPU may be generating more heat.

Camarillo Brillo

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2019
About the fan noise - recording instruments is exactly the problem for me. I have a home studio and I stand right in front of my computer when I mic up my acoustic guitar to record. A good microphone picks up every sound from around the room and even sounds from outside. The fan noise is a total deal breaker.

I’m still recording on a base model 2011 13” MacBook Pro (with some definite limitations but still pretty capable believe it or not - this goes to show that audio isn’t all that processor intensive compared to other things )
Fan noise is minimal on my old MacBook Pro so I’m hoping when I upgrade to the 16” I can get the benefits of all that extra power without losing the ability to record right next to my computer.

Reactions: TimothyJohn

morze

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2019
I will also confirm that having external monitors to the new 16" MBP i9 does make fans run loud even when idle or doing basic things. I didn't have this problem with my 2017 MBP i7.

I am posting an example of running just safari and mail both fans are running at 3200-2500 rpm. BTW 3500 rpm on my 2017 MBP is def less loud then this 3500 rpm on the 16" MBP.

DISAPPOINTED TOTALLY !!

When I first got my 16" and I plugged in a monitor the fans would run reasonably loud on idle. But after less than a week it doesn't anymore. I did read on another thread that the machine needs days or a week to index for spotlight, photo library etc. I do hear the fans when compressing files, copying stuff and during editing, no longer when idling or when Safari browsing for example. I have put my computer on top of a book with the back end hanging off a tiny bit and it's quieter than directly on a table.

niho

macrumors member
Dec 7, 2019

well, I work from home, and it's very quiet, I like it. Helps me to focus. When the only noise in the room is annoying fan noise, I'm distracted. I don't mind occasional noise, but this machine runs the fans on all the time.

I've been using iMac 2012 for the last 7 years, and it's been very quiet.

Cfred

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2019
After trying everything the main problem "in my case" is the external monitors. I ran a Virtual machine doing some work (nothing too intensive), Running Think or swim (trading software) with 15 trading windows which took a big chunk in the activity window, kept screen recording on using OBS, Mail, safari and a few other apps. I used it all morning without the external monitors and fans remain at idle around 1850 rpm. The minute I connect the external monitors I get to 3800-4050 RPM.

I really wish there was a way to connect an external graphic card that could power the external monitors instead of the internal one. Especially external monitors are usually sitting at a desk and don't need to be moved around.

BTW these numbers are WITH turbo boost disabled using the tool. It did help as before I would get to 4500-5000. I can't feel a difference in performance with what Im doing. Of coarse If I have to process video renders, or heavy music production im sure I will prob feel it.

2019 MacBook Pro 16"
i9 8 core 2.3
64 gb ram
2tb SSD

2 external monitors 32" Samsung

Reactions: niho

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
After trying everything the main problem "in my case" is the external monitors. I ran a Virtual machine doing some work (nothing too intensive), Running Think or swim (trading software) with 15 trading windows which took a big chunk in the activity window, kept screen recording on using OBS, Mail, safari and a few other apps. I used it all morning without the external monitors and fans remain at idle around 1850 rpm. The minute I connect the external monitors I get to 3800-4050 RPM.

I really wish there was a way to connect an external graphic card that could power the external monitors instead of the internal one. Especially external monitors are usually sitting at a desk and don't need to be moved around.

BTW these numbers are WITH turbo boost disabled using the tool. It did help as before I would get to 4500-5000. I can't feel a difference in performance with what Im doing. Of coarse If I have to process video renders, or heavy music production im sure I will prob feel it.

2019 MacBook Pro 16"
i9 8 core 2.3
64 gb ram
2tb SSD

2 external monitors 32" Samsung

Other people are connecting external monitors and not having any increase in fan noise. You might see what their setups are.

If nothing helps you can try an eGPU box to drive the external monitors..

Cfred

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2019
Other people are connecting external monitors and not having any increase in fan noise. You might see what their setups are.

Can you guide me the links to people who have managed to use with external monitors without fans increasing in speed?

In regards to eGPU, I am totally open to that but I was told it won't make a difference as the eGPU is only for performance. I had that idea as well. I would have to investigate or ask around if the eGPU would eliminate that issue.

thank you.

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
About the fan noise - recording instruments is exactly the problem for me. I have a home studio and I stand right in front of my computer when I mic up my acoustic guitar to record. A good microphone picks up every sound from around the room and even sounds from outside. The fan noise is a total deal breaker.

I’m still recording on a base model 2011 13” MacBook Pro (with some definite limitations but still pretty capable believe it or not - this goes to show that audio isn’t all that processor intensive compared to other things )
Fan noise is minimal on my old MacBook Pro so I’m hoping when I upgrade to the 16” I can get the benefits of all that extra power without losing the ability to record right next to my computer.

Could use a standalone recorder like a Zoom H series?

Or put the computer outside of the recording area. I used to put a computer outside the recording booth (closet). Now I have the computer in the booth but use a shotgun mic, Senn 416 which is super directional and does not pick noise to the sides. I am doing voice overs.

Camarillo Brillo

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2019
Could use a standalone recorder like a Zoom H series?

Or put the computer outside of the recording area. I used to put a computer outside the recording booth (closet). Now I have the computer in the booth but use a shotgun mic, Senn 416 which is super directional and does not pick noise to the sides. I am doing voice overs.

Well I have a universal audio Apollo , and having everything right there is important to my workflow, I am playing the instruments and engineering myself, there’s a lot of start and stop and tweaking things as I go, I can’t have the computer in a separate room. It seems to work great with my little old i5 2011 13” MBP, I never have fan noise issues, so the 16” top of the line beast should be able to do just as well, is what I’m hoping anyway.

niho

macrumors member
Dec 7, 2019

I don't think an eGPU box would be quieter. Never tried one, but they have their own giant PSU. They built for gaming , not for quiet daily tasks.

Last edited:

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
I don't think an eGPU box would be quieter. Never tried one, but they have their own giant PSU. They built for gaming , not for quiet daily tasks.

I have never tried one either, but it would allow getting the unit away from you such as under a desk

Last edited:

kmahmood

macrumors member
Nov 16, 2019
I’m confused - initial hopes were that the 16” MacBook Pro would be improved and quieter in terms of fan noise, which is what some early reviews indicated.

now I’m seeing more and more reports of people saying the 16” fans are louder then their old 2011/2013/2015 MacBooks — are there fake reviewers out there working for Apple and getting free laptops :) or are some 16” machines of different specs quieter in fan noise ?

Quu

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2007

It's interesting that your mail client is using 18.3% CPU usage. I can't even get CPU usage that high watching a 4K H.265 video. Seems like your mail client is causing the CPU to stay at a high clock speed and generate heat when it should be idle.

Realistically Mail should not be using more than 0.1% CPU when idle (not downloading messages and such).

I’m confused - initial hopes were that the 16” MacBook Pro would be improved and quieter in terms of fan noise, which is what some early reviews indicated.

now I’m seeing more and more reports of people saying the 16” fans are louder then their old 2011/2013/2015 MacBooks — are there fake reviewers out there working for Apple and getting free laptops :) or are some 16” machines of different specs quieter in fan noise ?

Personally I think it's software glitches where peoples machines are being kept loaded by misbehaving apps and operating system querks. My 16" is silent when connected to an external monitor and when using Chrome, Textual, Mail even when watching video at the same time. The fans when they ramp up do not sound different to my 2015 15", not loud, not annoying just there is some air woosh noise certainly but it's not worse imo.

Now I'm not discounting that perhaps others have faulty machines but based on screenshots I'm seeing they have apps using high CPU percentages when they shouldn't be.

Reactions: kmahmood

am2am

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2011
Can you guide me the links to people who have managed to use with external monitors without fans increasing in speed?
I am one of them - see my related posts.
idle without and with external 4k monitor:
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/16-is-hot-noisy-with-an-external-monitor.2211747/post-28028111

lite web browsing, YouTube (1080p) on 4k scaled to 1080p:
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/16-is-hot-noisy-with-an-external-monitor.2211747/post-28030938
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/16-mbp-i7-or-i9.2212684/post-28036911

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.