Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dualvansmommy

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 31, 2014
For those of you who use Fantastical app, what can you tell me you love it most? What prompted you to use this calendar app over the Apple or other 3rd party calendar apps?

I am at the point in my life & family life where using our apple calendar isn't enough anymore. I need more options.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
I have been using Fantastical for several years. And even though it now cost $40 a year, I still prefer its layout and abilities over the stock app, not to mention the quick syncing between iPhone, iPad, and Apple Watch. I also like the fact that you can keep up with when your favorite shows, sports, and other events of interest comes on, by enabling special calendars available to subscribers. It also has a integrated weather map.

Last edited:
Reactions: TiggrToo

TiggrToo

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2017
For those of you who use Fantastical app, what can you tell me you love it most? What prompted you to use this calendar app over the Apple or other 3rd party calendar apps?

I am at the point in my life & family life where using our apple calendar isn't enough anymore. I need more options.

For me it’s having multiple calendar groups which allow me to have my work calendars and home it’s in separate groups.

PreCovid I was able to have my phone and watch show the work calendars when I was at work, and my home ones otherwise.

Now we’re all working from home changes on a schedule so during the workday I see my work ones, otherwise my home ones.

That coupled with the various views and tight integration with zoom made it a no brainer to subscribe.

Reactions: marmiteturkey

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
I've been using Fantastical for years. I'm on version 3.1.1 on the iPhone which is the current version.

I never paid a dime... nor have they stopped me from using it by demanding money.

I was initially worried when all this subscription stuff happened... but nothing changed for me.

Is it because I paid for the app already in the past?

Reactions: seanerin

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore

I like the UI (how it lists my daily events on the phone) and the ability to type the event date and time directly into my iPad using the magic keyboard.

However, I find that I still prefer the stock calendar all on my watch, mainly because it presents data the way I want (the fantastical app just feels too noisy) and it’s better integrated with the Siri watch face.

TiggrToo

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2017
I've been using Fantastical for years. I'm on version 3.1.1 on the iPhone which is the current version.

I never paid a dime... nor have they stopped me from using it by demanding money.

I was initially worried when all this subscription stuff happened... but nothing changed for me.

Is it because I paid for the app already in the past?

Basically, yes. Whatever features you had with the previous version were enabled in this new one.

ScreenSavers

macrumors 68020
Feb 26, 2016
Bloomingdale, GA
Can you add your outlook.com calendar? Could’nt do it with Fantastical directly.

Looks like you can!

e8469d6618e56a88006cf046d961d6fa.jpg

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
Whatever features you had with the previous version were enabled in this new one.

Will put this qualifier out there: as long as you do not delete the app off your device.

Long story short: I deleted the app off my phone and later re-installed and got the dumbed down version. App is not checking App Store to see if/when you bought the app originally in order to enable previous functions.

TiggrToo

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2017
Will put this qualifier out there: as long as you do not delete the app off your device.

Long story short: I deleted the app off my phone and later re-installed and got the dumbed down version. App is not checking App Store to see if/when you bought the app originally in order to enable previous functions.

Well, that just plain sucks!

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012

Did you keep your App Store purchase receipt? If so, contract Flexbits and get them to renumerate you in some way, because of their screw up.

Puonti

macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2011

Did you try installing the original Fantastical from "Your purchases" first, then installing the new one to see if it recognizes the old version? That's how it worked for me the first time. I since deleted the old version, but I can still reinstall it from purchase history (just did, to make sure).

Cancelled
Sep 13, 2018
After they pulled the subscription shenanigans, I deleted them and have never looked back. Stock app works just fine for me.
Agree they already got enough money from many customers- the app wasnt "cheap" either. And you had to re-buy it each major update too.

I get some apps need constant server use, which costs money, but not a calendar app. Thre is no justification for a subscription here.

TiggrToo

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2017
Agree they already got enough money from many customers- the app wasnt "cheap" either. And you had to re-buy it each major update too.

I get some apps need constant server use, which costs money, but not a calendar app. Thre is no justification for a subscription here.

But it does have a server component: it synchronizes settings and also handles other duties.

Reactions: Apple_Robert

TiggrToo

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2017
Oh cmon that is minimal data. You arent syncing hundreds of each user's emails a day.

We don't know how it works. There is a server component and, having written synchronization code myself I know just hiw much of a bastard it can be to get right.

In addition cloud costs are not cheap, despite whatever salesblurb one may read. Once you factor in traffic, security and storage it quickly turns into a not unsubstantial amount.

gaanee

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2011
Doesn't the download from Purchase History serve you the latest version and not the old version? The only time you can download an older version is if your the latest app version is incompatible with older iOS.
Did you try installing the original Fantastical from "Your purchases" first, then installing the new one to see if it recognizes the old version? That's how it worked for me the first time. I since deleted the old version, but I can still reinstall it from purchase history (just did, to make sure).

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ

Kicked Fantastical to the curb. They are dead to me after the crap they pulled with going subscription. I DO NOT NEED TO PAY AN APP VENDOR to read MY event calendar that *I* created. Period. End of discussion. #poundsand

Reactions: Whigu and 1144557

Puonti

macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2011
Doesn't the download from Purchase History serve you the latest version and not the old version?

That's true when you're talking about a single app, however when Flexibits moved Fantastical to a subscription model they created an entirely new app and simply delisted the old one. Thus the old Fantastical app (version 2.11.5) is still available on the App Store for re-download for anyone who purchased / installed it in the past, I imagine until such time that it becomes incompatible with some new version of iOS.

As far as transitions to subscription go, it was a fair move from Flexibits. Anyone who paid for Fantastical 2 retained access to the app with the features they had paid for. And if they wanted updates, they could switch to the new app and still not subscribe.

gaanee

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2011
Thanks! That's good to know that the old pre-subscription version is still available to download separately.
That's true when you're talking about a single app, however when Flexibits moved Fantastical to a subscription model they created an entirely new app and simply delisted the old one. Thus the old Fantastical app (version 2.11.5) is still available on the App Store for re-download for anyone who purchased / installed it in the past, I imagine until such time that it becomes incompatible with some new version of iOS.

As far as transitions to subscription go, it was a fair move from Flexibits. Anyone who paid for Fantastical 2 retained access to the app with the features they had paid for. And if they wanted updates, they could switch to the new app and still not subscribe.

Silverstring

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2005
Kicked Fantastical to the curb. They are dead to me after the crap they pulled with going subscription. I DO NOT NEED TO PAY AN APP VENDOR to read MY event calendar that *I* created. Period. End of discussion. #poundsand

I don't love paying for subscriptions either or carrying water for any company in an unpaid role...but is it true that if you don't subscribe, you get locked out of any of your events/calendars?

From what I've seen and understand, you lose access to some "enhanced" features (who's value can certainly be questioned/rejected), but your calendars/events aren't held hostage to the subscription the way you imply here.

Reactions: max2

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
I don't love paying for subscriptions either or carrying water for any company in an unpaid role...but is it true that if you don't subscribe, you get locked out of any of your events/calendars?

From what I've seen and understand, you lose access to some "enhanced" features (who's value can certainly be questioned/rejected), but your calendars/events aren't held hostage to the subscription the way you imply here.
You are correct.

Reactions: max2
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.