Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

SimeoneSergio

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2012
London UK
I can boot into recovery and i’m Trying to follow steps indicated in this post https://www.justinsilver.com/technology/os-x-el-capitan-10-11-1-hanging-on-boot-fixed/#os_x_fix

For some reason I can’t hear the chimes on startup :/

EDIT

F*** yeah, worked! :D

Ok I think I first need to install the right version of web driver and then I can load the CUDA ones.
Thanks to everyone that replied and sorry for taking over the thread!

Now, just to understand, I am using the default MacOS driver, should I update to 122? I am using a late 2014 rMBP, so not the macros that are listed in the highlights.

Also, apparently I do have the 130 already installed and after a quick investigation about ways to uninstall it it seems that uninstall_cuda_drv.pl is missing from usr/local/bin/ - well actually bin folder doesn't exist, so...

What's the best course of action here?

Update web driver to 122 from Nvidia Driver manager and then update to CUDA 418.105 driver or should I just update the web driver to a version compatible with CUDA 130?

Last edited:
Reactions: h9826790

bsbeamer

macrumors 601
Sep 19, 2012
Now, just to understand, I am using the default MacOS driver, should I update to 122? I am using a late 2014 rMBP, so not the macros that are listed in the highlights.

Also, apparently I do have the 130 already installed and after a quick investigation about ways to uninstall it it seems that uninstall_cuda_drv.pl is missing from usr/local/bin/ - well actually bin folder doesn't exist, so...

What's the best course of action here?

Update web driver to 122 from Nvidia Driver manager and then update to CUDA 418.105 driver or should I just update the web driver to a version compatible with CUDA 130?

CUDA 418.105 is the latest build with support for CUDA 10.1 Toolkit. If you are using CUDA, it is best to install this update. Then the 387.10.10.10.40.122 NVIDIA Web Driver would also be required for CUDA to function properly.

If you are NOT using CUDA, look into uninstalling all NVIDIA Web Drivers and CUDA to prevent issues later.

SimeoneSergio

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2012
London UK
Greetings again,

sorry for jumping in again... But the error I got might also affect other users. So I updated the web driver first and then the CUDA one, and apparently, on the CUDA preference window, it says I am using the 355...

QZMWgWO.png

CUEGycs.png

zH73QLI.png

I even tried a reboot just to see if it was temporary but without success as you see. Ideas?

bsbeamer

macrumors 601
Sep 19, 2012
Reinstall CUDA from full installer. Be sure to check security and preferences tab for any issues that need to be addressed during install.

vel0city

macrumors 6502
Dec 23, 2017
Which order should I update my CUDA and web drivers please? Currently have these installed. Thanks.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-03-11 at 17.57.28.png
    Screen Shot 2019-03-11 at 17.57.28.png
    104.6 KB · Views: 316
  • Screen Shot 2019-03-11 at 17.57.34.png
    Screen Shot 2019-03-11 at 17.57.34.png
    81.2 KB · Views: 310

flowrider

macrumors 604
Original poster
Nov 23, 2012
^^^^Really doesn't matter. But, update the Web Driver first, then Cuda.

Lou

vel0city

macrumors 6502
Dec 23, 2017
^^^^Really doesn't matter. But, update the Web Driver first, then Cuda.

Lou

Thank you, all done.

I really appreciate having another Mac to Screen Share the Pro when doing Nvidia updates. So much less hassle than swapping out cards!

bsbeamer

macrumors 601
Sep 19, 2012
I really appreciate having another Mac to Screen Share the Pro when doing Nvidia updates. So much less hassle than swapping out cards!

Makes the process a lot easier, especially since the pulled driver (that didn't break) is not compatible with CUDA 10.1.

bsbeamer

macrumors 601
Sep 19, 2012
Adobe is officially ending support for FERMI-based GPUs. They only officially support Kepler, Maxwell, and Pascal for NVIDIA GPUs. If you are seeking support, make sure you first meet the system requirements. AMD on Mac is not impacted as long as it's an approved GPU.

w1z

macrumors 6502a
Aug 20, 2013
Has anyone noticed Nvidia recently changed the download types for their drivers?

There are 2 options now:

Game Ready Drivers (GRD)
Creator Ready Drivers (CRD)

Nvidia is adding more and more operating systems to their RTX compatibility list ... I am hoping Mojave support is just around the corner as I really want the RTX 2080ti, with boot screens, in my cMP.

bsbeamer

macrumors 601
Sep 19, 2012
Believe this should only impact Windows usage and rollout was part of Windows 10 1809 change to Windows Modern Drivers and mandate for using the the Windows Driver Framework. There are also Standard and DCH (basically OEM) installers, which will only further complicate the situation on Windows/PC machines. Much like the rest of Windows software these days, believe GRD is basically the latest available, CRD is the stable release and those are NVIDIA's "codenames" for both.

Haven't followed this closely enough, but think the intention long-term is to basically make everything compatible out of the box, but then can be tweaked/refined/improved with user installs. (Sort of how it was working on macOS for a long time for a few NVIDIA products.)

w1z

macrumors 6502a
Aug 20, 2013
Believe this should only impact Windows usage and rollout was part of Windows 10 1809 change to Windows Modern Drivers and mandate for using the the Windows Driver Framework. There are also Standard and DCH (basically OEM) installers, which will only further complicate the situation on Windows/PC machines. Much like the rest of Windows software these days, believe GRD is basically the latest available, CRD is the stable release and those are NVIDIA's "codenames" for both.

Haven't followed this closely enough, but think the intention long-term is to basically make everything compatible out of the box, but then can be tweaked/refined/improved with user installs. (Sort of how it was working on macOS for a long time for a few NVIDIA products.)

The new download types are available under all OS options so I don't think it's only intended for usage under Windows. The standard and DCH installers are indeed only available under Windows.

I also haven't been following their recent updates but agree with your summary view... it's about time.

Edit: adding Nvidia's description of the types:

All NVIDIA drivers provide full features and application support for top games and creative applications.

If you are a gamer who prioritizes day of launch support for the latest games, patches, and DLCs, choose Game Ready Drivers.

If you are a content creator who prioritizes stability and quality for creative workflows including video editing, animation, photography, graphic design, and livestreaming, choose Creator Ready Drivers.

bsbeamer

macrumors 601
Sep 19, 2012
There are no CRD drivers available for Mac. It's just an option to select and currently only applies to Windows. NVIDIA just hasn't optimized their driver download search page to work with this new option the "best" way possible.
Screen Shot 2019-03-25 at 10.22.07 AM.png
Searching to include BETA only reveals the last three currently available drivers, which are linked in the first post.
Screen Shot 2019-03-25 at 10.22.39 AM.png

w1z

macrumors 6502a
Aug 20, 2013
My feedback and search was based on RTX-based products - see my initial post which you commented on.

Edit: Just ran a bunch of searches across non-windows systems - As you have said, it appears they are still working on the new download type feature and currently CRD is only available under windows. I stand corrected.

Last edited:

bsbeamer

macrumors 601
Sep 19, 2012
Would keep an eye on Volta being added back to the "standard" NVIDIA Web Drivers before any possible Turing support in current or previous versions of macOS. Build number sequence would change with that addition.

Reactions: w1z

SimeoneSergio

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2012
London UK
Latest High Sierra OS X security update has forced the original driver to be used now, instead of the 387, and therefore the CUDA one is disabled as well.

Ideas?

Cancelled
Feb 12, 2005
Latest High Sierra OS X security update has forced the original driver to be used now, instead of the 387, and therefore the CUDA one is disabled as well.

Ideas?
Based on past experience I expect nVidia to issue updated drivers roughly tomorrow. Of course, High Sierra only.

I can confirm, btw: Update does invalidate nVidia Webdrivers. Only solution as of now: revert back/don't install latest High Sierra update

Last edited:

flowrider

macrumors 604
Original poster
Nov 23, 2012
^^^^Guess you you didn't bother to clink on my link just above your post.

Lou

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.