Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Scones, with clotted cream and jam :D
Apparantly no one makes Clotted Cream for sale in the USA. I managed to find a scone mix at the local grocery, Kroger bran. Don’t scold me for not making it from scratch! 😜 Then I eagerly opened the clotted cream, imported from England, sold via Amazon and my taste buds were devastated when the bottle was opened and it was hard and chunky, spoiled. 😭 Of possible interest when I filed a refund, the item was listed as non-returnable. We’ll see about that I muttered as I started a chat with Amazon’s customer service bot. No problem it said in it’s computer voice, you are a valued customer, Instant Refund!! 🕺

So what now?
I found another seller with over night Prime Delivery, so I am giving this item one more chance online, otherwise it’s a 35 mile drive one way downtown to the British Isles (store) but it’s best to call ahead and make sure they have it in stock.
Stay tuned!!

Last edited:
Reactions: zari212

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Apparantly no one makes Clotted Cream for sale in the USA. I managed to find a scone mix at the local grocery, Kroger bran. Don’t scold me for not making it from scratch! ? Then I eagerly opened the clotted cream, imported from England, sold via Amazon and my taste buds were devastated when the bottle was opened and it was hard and chunky, spoiled. ? Of possible interest when I filed a refund, the item was listed as non-returnable. We’ll see about that I muttered as I started a chat with Amazon’s customer service bot. No problem it said in it’s computer voice, you are a valued customer, Instant Refund!! ?

So what now?
I found another seller with over night Prime Delivery, so I am giving this item one more chance online, otherwise it’s a 35 mile drive one way downtown to the British Isles (store) but it’s best to call ahead and make sure they have it in stock.
Stay tuned!!
No offense, but the name of your favorite desert brings to my American mind something much worse. As in spoiled cream well over the due date that has clotted and clumped together.

I'm sure the actual desert is something else entirely, but the name…well again, American. Sorry.

As to my favorite desert: Chocolate Mousse. A staple of the 1980s, a time period my wife always tells me that I am stuck in.

Reactions: Huntn

gigatoaster

macrumors 68000
Jul 22, 2018
France
Americans and their desserts…have you guys tried Profiteroles? That’s what I call a dessert!?
1E15E90E-D3A1-48EC-A4D0-5951420A0C1E.jpeg

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
No offense, but the name of your favorite desert brings to my American mind something much worse. As in spoiled cream well over the due date that has clotted and clumped together.

I'm sure the actual desert is something else entirely, but the name…well again, American. Sorry.

As to my favorite desert: Chocolate Mousse. A staple of the 1980s, a time period my wife always tells me that I am stuck in.
I fixed my post to make my topic clearer. :)

Reactions: eyoungren

beach bum

macrumors demi-goddess
Oct 6, 2011
Philly
Apparantly no one makes Clotted Cream for sale in the USA. I managed to find a scone mix at the local grocery, Kroger bran. Don’t scold me for not making it from scratch! ? Then I eagerly opened the clotted cream, imported from England, sold via Amazon and my taste buds were devastated when the bottle was opened and it was hard and chunky, spoiled. ? Of possible interest when I filed a refund, the item was listed as non-returnable. We’ll see about that I muttered as I started a chat with Amazon’s customer service bot. No problem it said in it’s computer voice, you are a valued customer, Instant Refund!! ?

So what now?
Stay tuned!!
Have you tried the English Tea Store? It looks like they have the English Clotted Cream and Double Devon Cream. I’m not sure if this is authentic to what you are after.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains

So what now?
Stay tuned!!

Well I got a refund for the first bottle of clotted cream and ordered a second bottle from a different vendor via Amazon. It is a little better but bordering on chunky, it’s edible but as it has a 20Jun2022 expiration date, I’m starting to wonder if there is a new version of clotted cream designed for longer shelf life…unrefrigerated?… that’s a bit chunky? ?

I’m familiar with clotted cream. After developing a taste for it in the UK, we last purchased it at the British Isles, a UK product store located in the Houston, Texas University District. It normally has the consistency of a thick custard or a softened cream cheese, and it spreads smoothly. This does not spread smoothly, so I’m like ?
Have you tried the English Tea Store? It looks like they have the English Clotted Cream and Double Devon Cream. I’m not sure if this is authentic to what you are after.
That is the brand in your link that we have ordered twice though Amazon. I noticed the “Keep Refrigerated, perishable. Once opened, they should be consumed within 3 days.” message at the link. That would be $16 for a 6oz bottle, including shipping, but arguably, if you got a good bottle of product, it’s a better deal than the $11 I paid at Amazon. And I wonder if anyone ships these cold packed? The two we got through Amazon arrived in a box warm. I don’t think shipping around here in the summer would work at all. :)

When we picked it up semi-locally, last year, a 70 mile round trip, it was kept in a refridgerator and as imported, I assume it is shipped refrigerated.

wordsworth

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2011
UK
Yep, home made custard would do it (maybe with a chopped banana, though I haven't had that for many a year now). My wife and I are fruit scone and clotted cream with jam regulars! Our preferred jam is Bonne Maman raspberry – works very well. We also had a sticky toffee pudding and double cream phase (the pudding made locally) until we had a pub lunch once and tried their sticky toffee pudding with clotted cream. We hadn't anticipated it ticking all the usual boxes but the clotted cream version was a real wow! moment. And in a local Italian restaurant we discovered their banoffee cheesecake. Dreamt about it regularly after trying it but they only offered it on two occasions while we were regulars there. We gave up asking for it eventually.

Reactions: Huntn

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Americans and their desserts…have you guys tried Profiteroles? That’s what I call a dessert!? View attachment 1988955
Bravo: Very well said.

All of them? Ok most of them? I live in Europe, so pastries abound. Switzerland and Belgium best chocolates in the world. Eastern Mediterranean - Greece, Turkey and Lebanon - land of baklava, loukoum etc.
Exactly.

France, Belgium, Switzerland, Germany, Austria, Italy and the Balkans (easing into the Middle East) excel at tarts, pies, pastries, desserts, chocolates and cakes.

And well said.

Anyway, while desserts rarely comprise the most important part of a meal for me, - for my palate prefers a more savoury taste profile - there are some desserts that I am more than partial to: They include:

Tarte tatin.

Crème brûlée.

Sacher torte.

(Tarte aux fraises) French strawberry tart.

Cassata.

Among others.

Last edited:

gigatoaster

macrumors 68000
Jul 22, 2018
France
Regarding the difference between US/Europe in dessert, I remember once I went to a Cheesecake Factory and the desserts were so huge! Bigger than my head! It was good but never managed to finish it.

decafjava

macrumors 603
Feb 7, 2011
Geneva
We are rapidly approaching the end of the spring semester with our students and are planning our "farewell lunch" this term in Montreux. Dessert will be Catalan creme brulée ? . Main courses look really good as well

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Regarding the difference between US/Europe in dessert, I remember once I went to a Cheesecake Factory and the desserts were so huge! Bigger than my head! It was good but never managed to finish it.
Portions in US restaurants are double what they should be. You see they're selling you two meals instead of one. This maximizes income per visit, but makes us fat as many of us insist on cleaning our plates. My wife and I frequently share entrees. Satisfying and economical. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.