Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zari212

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2022
Scones, with clotted cream and jam :D
Apparantly no one makes Clotted Cream for sale in the USA. I managed to find a scone mix at the local grocery, Kroger bran. Don’t scold me for not making it from scratch! 😜 Then I eagerly opened the clotted cream, imported from England, sold via Amazon and my taste buds were devastated when the bottle was opened and it was hard and chunky, spoiled. 😭 Of possible interest when I filed a refund, the item was listed as non-returnable. We’ll see about that I muttered as I started a chat with Amazon’s customer service bot. No problem it said in it’s computer voice, you are a valued customer, Instant Refund!! 🕺

So what now?
I found another seller with over night Prime Delivery, so I am giving this item one more chance online, otherwise it’s a 35 mile drive one way downtown to the British Isles (store) but it’s best to call ahead and make sure they have it in stock.
Stay tuned!!
Triple chocolate mousse cake. This dessert is on a whole different level for me, I taste different in each layer and it's amazing for me.

Reactions: Huntn

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
When I was you young, on a trip to Hershey, PA, I stumbled across the Hershey Bakery that had giant chocolate eclairs. I was in love and that was back in the day when I could get away with eating a whole one, those where the days as a runner, where I consume at will! :D Then later having grown up in the DC/Maryland suburbs, my Mom had discovered Walls Bakery, in Waldorf, Md which also had giant chocolate eclairs. So when we went to visit here, we’d make the 18 mile one way drive to get eclairs. When living in Minnesota I substituted with chocolate Bismarks, and in Houston, what are called Bavarians, glazed filled pastries, custard filled, minus the chocolate top.

Of extreme importance was the filling, it has to be a vanilla custard or pudding, not whipped cream. 😛

A6BD46D1-E8FC-4AC4-9ED0-DC29F1EEADFB.jpeg

Last edited:

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
When I was you young, on a trip to Hershey, PA, I stumbled across the Hershey Bakery that had giant chocolate eclairs. I was in love and that was back in the day when I could get away with eating a whole one, those where the days as a runner, where I consume at will! :D Then later having grown up in the DC/Maryland suburbs, my Mom had discovered Walls Bakery, in Waldorf, Md which also had giant chocolate eclairs. So when we went to visit here, we’d make the 18 mile one way drive to get eclairs. When living in Minnesota I substituted with chocolate Bismarks, and in Houston, what are called Bavarians, glazed filled pastries, custard filled, minus the chocolate top.

Of extreme importance was the filling, it has to be a vanilla custard or pudding, not whipped cream. 😛

I love these!!

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Cherry tarts, apricot tarts, peach tarts, raspberry tarts......these will all find a warm welcome on my plate.
I am a huge fan of fruit pies, cherry, blueberry, raspberry?, strawberry, apple. There was a restaurant (Baker’s Square) we used to frequent, that has since closed that specialized in a wide variety of pies. They had a 3 berry pie that I used to salivate over. As a child I remember mulberry pies and cans of mulberry pie filling

Of interest, I no longer see mulberries for sale, but we have a mulberry tree out front that when consumed by birds results in delightful purple adornments all over our cars. 😬I remember reading that some cities had basically outlawed mulberry trees for this reason, although I’m not sure how you outlaw a tree. 🤔

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I am a huge fan of fruit pies, cherry, blueberry, raspberry?, strawberry, apple. There was a restaurant (Baker’s Square) we used to frequent, that has since closed that specialized in a wide variety of pies. They had a 3 berry pie that I used to salivate over. As a child I remember mulberry pies and cans of mulberry pie filling

Of interest, I no longer see mulberries for sale, but we have a mulberry tree out front that when consumed by birds results in delightful purple adornments all over our cars. 😬I remember reading that some cities had basically outlawed mulberry trees for this reason, although I’m not sure how you outlaw a tree. 🤔

Rather than fruit pies (which I quite like), I prefer the classic "French" style "open" fruit tart, sometimes, with a creme anglaise (a sort of custard) beneath.

Mind you, my mother made amazing apple tarts, (of the "covered" variety, - which probably meant that they more resembled an American "pie" dish, invariably prepared with cooking apples which imparted a wonderful tart flavour), and rhubarb tart, (yum), and, on rare occasions when I was a child, we even had her stunning cherry tarts. She also made gooseberry & apple tarts occasionally (she loved gooseberries).

Last edited:

gigatoaster

macrumors 68000
Jul 22, 2018
France
Oh yes. First it’s delicious. It’s basically 2 cup of coffee ice-cream, whipped cream and coffee syrup. With sliced almonds it’s magical. They do also with chocolate.

They explained better here and I actually learned some stuff about it!

Specifically the name about café viennois which bécanes liégeoise, fascinating!

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Oh yes. First it’s delicious. It’s basically 2 cup of coffee ice-cream, whipped cream and coffee syrup. With sliced almonds it’s magical. They do also with chocolate.

They explained better here and I actually learned some stuff about it!

Specifically the name about café viennois which bécanes liégeoise, fascinating!
Very interesting, and, as you so rightly say, the story behind the change of name is fascinating.

This sounds a little like, (or similar to) an affogato, which I have had, and enjoyed, as a rare treat.

Reactions: gigatoaster

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Rather than fruit pies (which I quite like), I prefer the classic "French" style "open" fruit tart, sometimes, with a creme anglaise (a sort of custard) beneath.

Mind you, my mother made amazing apple tarts, (of the "covered" variety, - which probably meant that they more resembled an American "pie" dish, invariably prepared with cooking apples which imparted a wonderful tart flavour), and rhubarb tart, (yum), and, on rare occasions when I was a child, we even had her stunning cherry tarts. She also made gooseberry & apple tarts occasionally (she loved gooseberries).
I love rhubarb and miss not being able to grow my own (too hot here). :(

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California

Oh how I love these. I know it isn't up to the same standard of these, but the Dunkin' Donuts Boston Kreme Donut to me is freaking delicious!

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I love rhubarb and miss not being able to grow my own (too hot here). :(
While I like rhubarb (a lot), my mother absolutely adored it, and thus, rhubarb found its way into quite a few fifferent desserts when we were kids and teenagers.

She also adored gooseberries.
Peach cobblers or strawberry & pumpkin pies would find warm on my table.
Likewise.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Huntn and jav6454

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I keep walking by the rack of pies at the grocery store, hesitate at the pecan pies, read the label to note calories per slice, and then grab a blueberry pie which is not much better, lol. :D

I have so many favorite desserts I don’t think I’d even be able to do a top ten list. But I had a mille crêpe tonight.😋
View attachment 2027853

I would have to take a bite to know for sure. :)

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010
Most any crumb pie or apple tart or coconut cream. Snydersville Diner in eastern PA is the greatest. They have so many desserts I've never heard seen other place. Apricot and Pear pies. Too many to ever eat at one sitting, even if you only had desserts

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010

Agree I like crumb or tart. I don't like pies with dough tops

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.