Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mollyc

macrumors 604
Original poster
Aug 18, 2016
I would like to invite you to share your favorite (personal, that you took yourself) images of 2023! You may share any reasonable number that you wish. If you have more than 10, I'd suggest making a collage like I have.

2023-12-31_0001.jpg

2023-12-31_0002.jpg

Cheers to a new year!

Strider64

macrumors 65816
Dec 1, 2015
Suburb of Detroit
I'm currently working on a large banner featuring a White-tailed Buck that I intend to print. During this process, I stumbled upon this thread, which definitely contains my favorite set of images from 2023.

img-banner-deer-001.jpg

I modified the banner to 3 images as it's smaller and looks more inline what a sequence of images should look like.
img-banner-deer-002.jpg

The latest (and hopefully last) revision was changing the title from White-tailed Buck to White-tailed Deer as someone on a Facebook Group I belong said while it is a buck the name is commonly referred to White-tailed Deer and I agree. I also flipped the images in the horizontal direction as the sequence looks better even though that wasn't the direction the deer was actually running in.
img-banner-deer-latest-revision-001.jpg

Last edited:

squawk7000

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2021
Scotland
I haven’t been taking many photos this year. I was in town to meet a friend for a couple of afternoon beers, but being early I had a seat to rest my knees. Sitting there I realised the light was developing. Throw in a couple of pigeons and the shot was there, it only needed a conversation to b&w.

BuchanSt20231129-2.JPG

very happy with the way it turned out

PowerMac5500

macrumors regular
Mar 14, 2021
I would like to invite you to share your favorite (personal, that you took yourself) images of 2023! You may share any reasonable number that you wish. If you have more than 10, I'd suggest making a collage like I have.

View attachment 2331262

View attachment 2331261

Cheers to a new year!
The aesthetic here is pleasantly not "smartphone". Can you tell us about your photos, or process? Thanks.

Reactions: mollyc

mollyc

macrumors 604
Original poster
Aug 18, 2016
The aesthetic here is pleasantly not "smartphone". Can you tell us about your photos, or process? Thanks.
That's because none of these came from a smartphone. 😉

What would you like to know specifically? Photos in my grids were taken on at least five different cameras, ranging from an APS-C sensor, full frame, and digital medium format, as well as 35mm and 120 format film. I don't have a specific process, per se, based on my available gear. I just find a scene I like and take a photo of it. Almost none of these were planned, and of those that were, I spent less than two minutes on setup. I literally just find scenes I like a take a photo.🙂

PowerMac5500

macrumors regular
Mar 14, 2021
That's because none of these came from a smartphone. 😉

What would you like to know specifically? Photos in my grids were taken on at least five different cameras, ranging from an APS-C sensor, full frame, and digital medium format, as well as 35mm and 120 format film. I don't have a specific process, per se, based on my available gear. I just find a scene I like and take a photo of it. Almost none of these were planned, and of those that were, I spent less than two minutes on setup. I literally just find scenes I like a take a photo.🙂
Well that explains it. They are beautiful and your selection feels curated. I love the earthy pastels, in particular the consistency of the blue tone through the images. What do you edit with? (If you do, your nickname could be "Manual Master Molly" for all we know.)

Short share...

I LOVE LOVE LOVE photography. In my do-over life I'm a traveling photo journalist... Not more than 20 minutes ago I made a note in a "grateful" journal someone got me for 2024... "I'm grateful for my photography, but I no longer appreciate sharing on social media. If I share, I don't want it to be part of someones mindless scroll."

Following Facebook and Twitter, I'll be shuttering my Instagram account next. For years I plugged my favorite pics into it. I thought it would become for my children what my parents high school year books and photo albums were for me, a window to their past, our visual family history.

It's been years since I've seriously used anything other than my smartphone, but that's ok–the best camera you own is the one you have on you. I'm sitting on 1,000s of images that I personally feel are quite enjoyable to look at. Including a week long excursion on the most remote stretch of the Appalachian Trail.

I hope to exhibit somewhere, someday.

Thank you for your post. Here's two of my favorites from last year. Photos are untouched, converted the HEIC to Jpeg and uploaded. iPhone 14Pro/Max.

Attachments

• IMG_7018.jpg
    IMG_7018.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 36
  • IMG_4321.jpg
    IMG_4321.jpg
    284.4 KB · Views: 38

mollyc

macrumors 604
Original poster
Aug 18, 2016
Well that explains it. They are beautiful and your selection feels curated. I love the earthy pastels, in particular the consistency of the blue tone through the images. What do you edit with? (If you do, your nickname could be "Manual Master Molly" for all we know.)

Short share...
I LOVE LOVE LOVE photography. In my do-over life I'm a traveling photo journalist... Not more than 20 minutes ago I made a note in a "grateful" journal someone got me for 2024... "I'm grateful for my photography, but I no longer appreciate sharing on social media. If I share, I don't want it to be part of someones mindless scroll."

Following Facebook and Twitter, I'll be shuttering my Instagram account next. For years I plugged my favorite pics into it. I thought it would become for my children what my parents high school year books and photo albums were for me, a window to their past, our visual family history.

It's been years since I've seriously used anything other than my smartphone, but that's ok–the best camera you own is the one you have on you. I'm sitting on 1,000s of images that I personally feel are quite enjoyable to look at. Including a week long excursion on the most remote stretch of the Appalachian Trail.

I hope to exhibit somewhere, someday.

Thank you for your post. Here's two of my favorites from last year. Photos are untouched, converted the HEIC to Jpeg and uploaded. iPhone 14Pro/Max.
I shoot raw so edit every photo in Lightroom. Some go to Photoshop for more involved work, but I'd say 95% of my photos are LR only. I develop and scan my own bw film and color film I drop off at my local lab for development, but I do my own camera scans.

Reactions: PowerMac5500
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.