Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LV426

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2013
So backup (selected data). Apple will still hold the encryption key for the remaining data in your iCloud(s).

Thanks for the link.
The keys Apple will continue to retain for a very limited category of iCloud data is reasonable:

1. iCloud Mail: iCloud Mail does not use end-to-end encryption because of the need to interoperate with the global email system. All native Apple email clients support optional S/MIME for message encryption.
  2. Contacts and Calendars: Contacts and calendars are built on industry standards (CalDAV and CardDAV) that do not provide built-in support for end-to-end encryption.

dysamoria

macrumors 68020
Dec 8, 2011
The arguments against it are weird.

It’s like cops complaining that people lock their doors and secure their property because they want to be able to get inside in case a crime happens..

I mean.. thanks and all but I’d rather not? Leaving it unsecured increases the chances of crimes happening to me way more than the positive benefits of allowing you to help me if they do. 😅
This is exactly my reaction, and I’m not any kind of anti-government type.

They should do their jobs without having infinite powers of invasion into people’s lives at any time. Checks & balances, watching the watchers, etc., for a sane society.

whadzinaname

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2010
I’ve been using the paid version of Boxcryptor for many years to encrypt my iCloud files. I just found out that it was acquired by Dropbox and I won’t be able to renew it any longer.

Looks like I am now able to turn off Boxcryptor encryption completely and use the Advanced Data Protection to do the same exact thing and more?

Anything am missing here?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.