Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

theotherphil

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2012
I think you made me understand more clearly how I feel about this. I definitely want privacy. But if the FBI has a warrant I’m happy for them to search my iPhone. It’s the same as every other belonging in my house. But to me (and I know this is unpopular) it doesn’t seem right that the FBI can get a warrant to search my house but I can tell them not to look in the shoebox in the closet because that’s where I keep my secret stuff.

"Privacy" is a much deeper argument than what is usually presented on internet forums such as this. There is a common theme whereby most law abiding citizens will make exactly the same statements that you have here "I have nothing to hide, so why does it matter?"

My response is usually....please post you full name, dob, address and credit card details here for all to see....if you have nothing to hide, then you have nothing to fear. I've yet to have any takers.

Have a look at these videos for an introduction to a more nuanced understanding of why privacy matters, regardless of if you have anything to hide:

Fat_Guy

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2021
I’m not going to quote anyone.

But for those that think their innocence will keep them from the law, because they know their innocent - well then - they haven’t actually dealt with the law! Freely giving over your private information just gives “Officer Friendly” more evidence to build a case against you and resolve it that way. And once it gets to the prosecutor that has a 99% conviction rate to help get them into politics - well then you only have yourself to blame if you wind up in the “clink”.

You have no rights. The innocent get charged and convicted all the time. Watching crime shows on TV is not reality.

mixel

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2006
Leeds, UK
Law enforcement can access your house with a warrant. So it’s not comparable.
It’s totally comparable, just not a perfect analogy. The warrant system is not one that stops my stuff from being secure from multiple groups of people/angles, while leaving data not end to end encrypted is. There isn’t a real world perfect analogy I can think of that lines up exactly.

Reactions: Shirasaki

Chips Stephens

macrumors regular
Apr 27, 2020
If the fbi hates it, it must be good.
I am sure they are just itching to get some moms thoughts on the next pta meeting,
I mean we would not want the school board to be accountable to lowly parents….or even be questioned!

the fbi has lost all credibility. It is a political organization, and nothing more.
good for Apple. and the innocent people of the world, who are by far, the majority.

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains
If the fbi hates it, it must be good.
I am sure they are just itching to get some moms thoughts on the next pta meeting,
I mean we would not want the school board to be accountable to lowly parents….or even be questioned!

the fbi has lost all credibility. It is a political organization, and nothing more.
good for Apple. and the innocent people of the world, who are by far, the majority.

Wonder how much is theater though.
So the FBI loses access to warrant for backups that have E2EE. If not turned on they still have access. Then they still have access to the device if physically available.
Great step forward but how much of a loss is this really for the FBI?

bookofxero

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2017
Wonder how much is theater though.
So the FBI loses access to warrant for backups that have E2EE. If not turned on they still have access. Then they still have access to the device if physically available.
Great step forward but how much of a loss is this really for the FBI?
They still have access to warrants for the data, just not they keys to decrypt. This will let them play up how hard it is to do real work to catch the incredibly small number of real criminals using the service.

bookofxero

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2017
Not just the iPhone. Some Android units have the same function.
I have tried Android several times over the years, but I never saw the appeal of it. Have not really kept up with them since the last time a few years back.
I just traded my iPhone 13 mini in for a 14PM just because of battery life and the ridiculously good trade-in I was offered ($800 for the crappy phone that couldn’t last half a day on a full charge? Hell yes!)
I think I am going to save up to switch to a Purism Librem 5 soon.

Reactions: dk001

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
I have tried Android several times over the years, but I never saw the appeal of it. Have not really kept up with them since the last time a few years back.
I just traded my iPhone 13 mini in for a 14PM just because of battery life and the ridiculously good trade-in I was offered ($800 for the crappy phone that couldn’t last half a day on a full charge? Hell yes!)

I use both and security wise both are very close. Good to see Apple put in the E2EE even if it just for back up.
Depending on which Android model and if (most don’t) you take the time to fine tune it you can get a solid day plus on quite a few top level models.
Never really looked at Purism - I did look at a Pixel 6 with GrapheneOS.

bookofxero

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2017
I use both and security wise both are very close. Good to see Apple put in the E2EE even if it just for back up.
Depending on which Android model and if (most don’t) you take the time to fine tune it you can get a solid day plus on quite a few top level models.
Never really looked at Purism - I did look at a Pixel 6 with GrapheneOS.
IMO, Purism is what Apple should be moving toward - even if Purism is not fully there yet. By that I am referring to the phone’s ability to connect to a display and peripherals and function as a desktop. Now just put that in a laptop shell with extra power and a larger display that your phone plugs into? 💥
The iPad is slowly making strides in that direction - there are even keyboard cases that make it nearly identical to a MB - but they hobble it with the OS.

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
IMO, Purism is what Apple should be moving toward - even if Purism is not fully there yet. By that I am referring to the phone’s ability to connect to a display and peripherals and function as a desktop. Now just put that in a laptop shell with extra power and a larger display that your phone plugs into? 💥
The iPad is slowly making strides in that direction - there are even keyboard cases that make it nearly identical to a MB - but they hobble it with the OS.

Thanks - I’ll have to take a look at Purism.

Fat_Guy

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2021

I would hold off on the Librem 5. Last I heard they had sold off the Chinese units and are now selling off the last of the super expensive USA units with no new production planned - so you figure it out. I believe Purism is effectively dead in the water. Don’t give them your money. But don’t believe me - do your homework. My info is three months old.

Want a Linux phone that actually works, then buy the original Pinephone with Ubuntu Touch. Don’t buy the “Pro” version as it’s not sorted out yet. Linux phones are on life support and the Pinephone is its last chance…

I own a Pinephone and it has USB C and it sucks with the connection falling out with the slightest movement.

AbSoluTc

Suspended
Sep 21, 2008
I think you're actually missing his point. I don't think he was arguing against advanced encryption, but rather just making an aside about how many people seem to have a paranoia that the feds are out to get them, specifically.

Actually, I can see a LOT of people happily handing their phone to law enforcement without a court order, especially if they are innocent. I'm not saying you should; I'm just saying many people would definitely do that.

Thats my point. They shouldnt. That's why everyone is so eager to share whatever because "it doesn't matter".

usagora

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2017
Thats my point. They shouldnt. That's why everyone is so eager to share whatever because "it doesn't matter".

But you said (emphasis mine):

Would you happily give someone your phone for them to look at if they asked? HELL NO! If you say yes, you're lying.

That's simply not true. Many people would indeed do so. They're not lying.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
"Privacy" is a much deeper argument than what is usually presented on internet forums such as this. There is a common theme whereby most law abiding citizens will make exactly the same statements that you have here "I have nothing to hide, so why does it matter?"

My response is usually....please post you full name, dob, address and credit card details here for all to see....if you have nothing to hide, then you have nothing to fear. I've yet to have any takers.

Have a look at these videos for an introduction to a more nuanced understanding of why privacy matters, regardless of if you have anything to hide:

[...]
Saying you've got nothing to hide, is much different than leaving your keys in the car unlocked or the locks to your dwelling unlocked.

Reactions: compwiz1202

Cancelled
Apr 21, 2022
I like E2E encryption because it insulates users from potential data breaches nay hacks, both now and in the future. --I don't know how anyone could reasonably argue that E2E is anything but a net gain for end-users.

I'm less inclined to worry about law enforcement lacking the necessary tools with expertise to wield them (have you seen their budgets?); however, it's basic incompetence (e.g., human error, bias, lack of training, ethical standards, etc.) coupled with minimal oversight (e.g., ethical leadership, congressional investigations, independent audits, protection for whistleblowers, etc.) that I find more alarming.

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
I like E2E encryption because it insulates users from potential data breaches nay hacks, both now and in the future. --I don't know how anyone could reasonably argue that E2E is anything but a net gain for end-users.

I'm less inclined to worry about law enforcement lacking the necessary tools with expertise to wield them (have you seen their budgets?); however, it's basic incompetence (e.g., human error, bias, lack of training, ethical standards, etc.) coupled with minimal oversight (e.g., ethical leadership, congressional investigations, independent audits, protection for whistleblowers, etc.) that I find more alarming.

Great but ...
Is Apple iOS E2EE for backups or ALL your iCloud data?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.