Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains
I think you made me understand more clearly how I feel about this. I definitely want privacy. But if the FBI has a warrant I’m happy for them to search my iPhone. It’s the same as every other belonging in my house. But to me (and I know this is unpopular) it doesn’t seem right that the FBI can get a warrant to search my house but I can tell them not to look in the shoebox in the closet because that’s where I keep my secret stuff.

Search yes, but only within the defined scope of the warrant. I’m not a fan of legal fishing expeditions.

Reactions: fatTribble

4nNtt

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2007
Chicago, IL
Apple deserves mad props for getting this done. It is just a matter of time and I'm sure iCloud E2EE will no longer be opt-in everywhere it is legal.

Dark_Omen

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2021
Not sure if Apple has to give up security by design for the entire world just because the FBI wants lawful access by design. If the US really wanted this, couldn't Congress pass a law that compels defendants to unlock their iCloud account and jail them until they do? Like some sort of contempt of court measure? Granted it may require a constitutional amendment, but the American people could vote for it if they really wanted to.
Why would we want to amend the constitution to remove such a right? That means removing the right to warrants, etc.

• Disagree
Reactions: SnappleRumors

Cancelled
Aug 17, 2016
It’s not available in Canada, annoying.

I’m curious to see if it works in China.

Cancelled
Aug 17, 2016
Advanced Data Protection for iCloud will be available to U.S. users by the end of the year and will start rolling out to the rest of the world in early 2023.

it's the usual Apple roll-out. US always gets everything first and the rest of the world can go to hell until they decide they deserve getting feature parity.

Privacy for all, unless you live outside of the US.

This is normal. Implementation is complex when different jurisdictions are involved. Data is actually segregated in some countries like the EU and China.

Tesla for example, introduces new features to their Giga Shanghai factory first, then elsewhere.

nottorp

macrumors 6502
May 12, 2014
Romania
I think you made me understand more clearly how I feel about this. I definitely want privacy. But if the FBI has a warrant I’m happy for them to search my iPhone. It’s the same as every other belonging in my house. But to me (and I know this is unpopular) it doesn’t seem right that the FBI can get a warrant to search my house but I can tell them not to look in the shoebox in the closet because that’s where I keep my secret stuff.
If a law enforcement agency has a warrant your opinion about a search has never mattered and it won't matter in the future either. But that means a judge (or whoever signs warrants in that jurisdiction) has reviewed the request and found you suspicious enough.

Automatic scanning is searching your phone randomly without a cause. Different thing and no one would defend it if it were about searching your physical possessions. Looks like some people believe the rules shouldn't apply if it's "do it on a computer".

fatTribble

macrumors 65816
Sep 21, 2018
Ohio
If a law enforcement agency has a warrant your opinion about a search has never mattered and it won't matter in the future either. But that means a judge (or whoever signs warrants in that jurisdiction) has reviewed the request and found you suspicious enough.

Automatic scanning is searching your phone randomly without a cause. Different thing and no one would defend it if it were about searching your physical possessions. Looks like some people believe the rules shouldn't apply if it's "do it on a computer".
My opinion was being expressed to the forum rather than a judge 🤓

I agree, automatic scanning is different.

SnappleRumors

Suspended
Aug 22, 2022
Shutting down access to certain communication rich with incriminating evidence does hamper law enforcement and does negatively impact public safety. But LE will continue to evolve just as criminals and terrorist have.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Shutting down access to certain communication rich in incriminating evidence will hamper law enforcement and does negatively impact public safety. But LE will continue to evolve just as criminals and terrorist have.
I mean, they can always buy hackers to crack iOS with undisclosed backdoors and they have been doing so for years. Just continue doing so would be perfectly fine, since they always have physical access to suspects' devices.

SnappleRumors

Suspended
Aug 22, 2022
I mean, they can always buy hackers to crack iOS with undisclosed backdoors and they have been doing so for years. Just continue doing so would be perfectly fine, since they always have physical access to suspects' devices.

Precisely, they will have to adapt to the times.

End to end encryption is an inevitable and predictable evolution of technology. However, the reality of its negative consequence on public safety is real and undeniable.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Precisely, they will have to adapt to the times.

End to end encryption is an inevitable and predictable evolution of technology. However, the reality of its negative consequence on public safety is real and undeniable.
Truth of the matter is more dedicated criminals would E2EE everything anyways, and law enforcement practically outlawing it would only hurt society even more, since traffics can be sniffed without any difficulty.

Catching criminal is always a costly cat-and-mouse game. However, lawful citizens should not be on the price tag.

Reactions: jaymc

SnappleRumors

Suspended
Aug 22, 2022
Truth of the matter is more dedicated criminals would E2EE everything anyways, and law enforcement practically outlawing it would only hurt society even more, since traffics can be sniffed without any difficulty.

Catching criminal is always a costly cat-and-mouse game. However, lawful citizens should not be on the price tag.

Am I correctly summarizing your position?

You agree this technology does negatively impact public safety but it is worth it for the overall public good.

jlc1978

macrumors 603
Aug 14, 2009
Like some sort of contempt of court measure? Granted it may require a constitutional amendment, but the American people could vote for it if they really wanted to.
it would require the repeal of the 5th, IMHNLO. That would have consequences beyond end to end encryption.

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains

Don’t forget regular everyday business.
My second job as a consultant and everything I have for that is encrypted.
Even at a personal level all my backups are encrypted.
I don’t use iCloud for any of this but the use case is the same.

Fat_Guy

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2021
Absolutely. I agree completely. My understanding is that a warrant requires a judge. If the justification can satisfy a judge I’m ok with it provided, as you say, it has a defined scope.
Warrants are given away like candy at a carnival. The judge doesn’t know you and couldn’t care less about your rights. Sorry to bust your bubble.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.