Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AbSoluTc

Suspended
Sep 21, 2008
I've always wondered why people fantasize about the FBI or other law enforcement wanting their data. No one wants your data. No one cares. It's some sort of validation or disorder that says "I'm important, I'm here, and somehow I'm a part of this really big, important thing".

Missing the point. The FBI doesn't deserve anyone's data. Our data is not freely available and shouldn't be. Even if your home cameras only watch your yard or you have nothing on your phone that you don't care about. It's NOT THE POINT. Privacy is a right. Signing it away because "you have nothing to hide" is exactly how and why were in this spot to begin with.

Would you happily give someone your phone for them to look at if they asked? HELL NO! If you say yes, you're lying.

LV426

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2013
"the FBI and law enforcement partners need 'lawful access by design.'"

They already have such access. It's called asking the phone owner for their password. In the UK, at least, you can go to jail for failing to provide your password.

LV426

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2013
I am only concerned that this isn’t available in my ‘region’ (the U.K.). Why is that?
Apple say

Advanced Data Protection for iCloud is available in the US today for members of the Apple Beta Software Program, and will be available to US users by the end of the year. The feature will start rolling out to the rest of the world in early 2023.

Having said that, the UK is now a police state. The likes of Apple are obliged by UK law to provide technical means of getting at users' data. And Apple would be committing a crime if they told anyone that such a demand had been made of them. Isn't it nice living in a Panopticon?

Robert.Walter

macrumors 68040
Jul 10, 2012
"the FBI and law enforcement partners need 'lawful access by design.'"

They already have such access. It's called asking the phone owner for their password. In the UK, at least, you can go to jail for failing to provide your password.
Because U.K. has no bill of rights and now no EU protections because suck it brexit.

jimbobb24

macrumors 68040
Jun 6, 2005
The FBI must have learned end to end encryption might prevent them from influencing elections. Lol.

Everything has tradeoffs. I say privacy is prioritized but there are dangers of bad people communicating with other bad people.

mike2q

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2006
Way to go Apple! It's been too long since I've read an Apple decision that put consumer trust over corporate or government wants. Privacy is a basic human right and anyone who thinks otherwise should consider they might be happier living in a country with an existing authoritarian dictatorship. Full stop.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
The FBI must have learned end to end encryption might prevent them from influencing elections. Lol.

Everything has tradeoffs. I say privacy is prioritized but there are dangers of bad people communicating with other bad people.
The thing seems to be that these agencies want tools to automate their jobs away. Make it even cushier to do “detective” work via a few keystrokes rather than…you know…investigative work?

Screw the FBI, and anyone who relentlessly supports actively building the dystopian surveillance state that we’ve been warning about for damn near 50 years now.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Screw the FBI, and anyone who relentlessly supports actively building the dystopian surveillance state that we’ve been warning about for damn near 50 years now.
Or worse, literally turn USA into China.

vikingjunior

Cancelled
Aug 17, 2011
Didn't the courts already decide that biometrics are not protected from law enforcement but a pin number is protected from law enforcement.
FBI will just seize your phone like they did the My Pillow guy. That is how they busted the crypto couple who hacked billions of cryptocurrency and was able to get the encrypted keys for the digital wallet. The FBI recovered billions from this investigation.

You’re only kidding yourselves if you think this is a guaranteed privacy solution. FBI is only concerned that they will have to do extra work. They know dam well if they want something they will get it like FISA warrants to wire tape a sitting President.

Sodium Chloride

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2017
iCloud data in accounts with Advanced Data Protection can only be read by a trusted device, not Apple, law enforcement, or government entities.
There is a potential drawback with this feature. What if I want to download files from my iCloud Drive to a library computer or a friend’s computer? Obviously, you wouldn’t want to set such computer as a trusted device. But since Advanced Data Protection can only be read by a trusted device, you wouldn’t be able to download the files to any computer other than your own?

Last edited:

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains
Did anyone notice we hadn’t seen any articles like this for awhile?

I am convinced that Apple had devised CSAM as a kind of unspoken compromise to get governments to stop asking for back-doors.

And sure enough, one day after they announce it’s dead this talk pops up again.

I know it wasn’t popular around here, but I was hoping that Apple could have used CSAM as a distraction to keep these worse things at bay.

Now that it’s gone it’s gonna go back to full on war and I hope they’re able to hold the line. But the sad fact is they’re going to be fighting every government, not just one or two. It won’t be easy.

I suspect this was a redirection by Apple as a result of the CSAM debacle.
Apple was looking at E2EE when the FBI asked them not to and Apple backed off. Then we had the whole CSAM proposal and this reiterated many users desire for E2EE.

Now ...
I could be way off - JMO.

gsurf123

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2017
I've always wondered why people fantasize about the FBI or other law enforcement wanting their data. No one wants your data. No one cares. It's some sort of validation or disorder that says "I'm important, I'm here, and somehow I'm a part of this really big, important thing".
You say that but must have forgotten the FBI and other Agencies had access granted to them by the phone companies. I think Snowden broke the story.

Reactions: Tdude96
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.