Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

neuropsychguy

macrumors 68020
Sep 29, 2008
Advanced Data Protection for iCloud will be available to U.S. users by the end of the year and will start rolling out to the rest of the world in early 2023.

it's the usual Apple roll-out. US always gets everything first and the rest of the world can go to hell until they decide they deserve getting feature parity.

Privacy for all, unless you live outside of the US.
It’s because it’s not necessarily legal everywhere. Apple works on figuring out legality but that takes time. Much of the work in that already started but laws are moving targets. As a U.S. headquartered company, Apple starts in the U.S. and works out from there.

Last edited:

laptech

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2013
Earth
Peoples attitudes will change when they become personally involved or affected by the use of security encryption related to criminal action. A person on holiday abroad being kidnapped for ransom, people trafficking, bomb threats/incidents and other terrorist incidents.

How would Tim Cook feel if a close relative of his was blown up in a terrorist incident and the FBI go 'sorry, we knew the bombers were communicating with others via iphones but there is nothing we could do because of Apple's security encription'.

Yes i know it's an argument that has been used time and time again but I do not think for one min that anyone supporting encryption without security authourities having some form of access would agree to such practices if they were on the resulting end of some tradgedy that could be prevented. A loved one on holiday get's kidnapped and killed because no ransom was paid or a loved one get's blown up at some event, there is no way in hell they are going to say 'oh well, such is life, the security services could not access Apple's encryption thus their death could not have been prevented'.

chenks

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2007
UK
How would Tim Cook feel if a close relative of his was blown up in a terrorist incident and the FBI go 'sorry, we knew the bombers were communicating with others via iphones but there is nothing we could do because of Apple's security encription'.

you can't give any organisation access to just some of the data, it's either all or nothing.
how would you propose they grant them access to just bomb and kidnapping data? can you design the enctyoption to exclude anything related to bombs or kidnapping?

also, who decides what can and can't be excluded? i'm sure Russia would want anything about Ukraine excluded, because they will say it protects them against the nasty Ukrainians.

if you create a door then that door will be pushed open and used.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
Did anyone notice we hadn’t seen any articles like this for awhile?

I am convinced that Apple had devised CSAM as a kind of unspoken compromise to get governments to stop asking for back-doors.

And sure enough, one day after they announce it’s dead this talk pops up again.

I know it wasn’t popular around here, but I was hoping that Apple could have used CSAM as a distraction to keep these worse things at bay.

Now that it’s gone it’s gonna go back to full on war and I hope they’re able to hold the line. But the sad fact is they’re going to be fighting every government, not just one or two. It won’t be easy.

Reactions: George Dawes

nottorp

macrumors 6502
May 12, 2014
Romania
Peoples attitudes will change when they become personally involved or affected by the use of security encryption related to criminal action. A person on holiday abroad being kidnapped for ransom, people trafficking, bomb threats/incidents and other terrorist incidents.

Yes i know it's an argument that has been used time and time again but I do not think for one min that anyone supporting encryption without security authourities having some form of access would agree to such practices if they were on the resulting end of some tradgedy that could be prevented. A loved one on holiday get's kidnapped and killed because no ransom was paid or a loved one get's blown up at some event, there is no way in hell they are going to say 'oh well, such is life, the security services could not access Apple's encryption thus their death could not have been prevented'.
I believe you forgot "think of the children".

fatTribble

macrumors 65816
Sep 21, 2018
Ohio
I’ll admit my take on this was a bit different. I want law enforcement to be able to stop terrorist attacks. I want them to be able to prosecute criminals. If every bad person ensures their communications are all done on encrypted devices that does seem like it would make them much harder to catch.

So while I definitely welcome any advancement in privacy, at a minimum I have to acknowledge the downside as this article does. Other than financial data I’m not sure what I have on my iPhone that I’m all that concerned about. If anyone wants to read my texts and look at my pictures they’d likely just yawn but worse case they’d laugh and point.

Vlad Soare

macrumors 6502a
Mar 23, 2019
Bucharest, Romania

Yeah, yeah, yeah, we know this one. :rolleyes:
Whenever a government agency is caught spying on people or doing some other unlawful things, we get this humbug - "but think of your safety, how would you feel if your loved ones were in danger, we're the good guys, we're doing it for you, we need to be able to protect you, blah blah blah..." Yeah, right. But who will protect us from you?

I'll take my chances. I'd rather live in a free society with all the inherent risks (including risk of terrorism) than be "safe" in a world where government agencies can do whatever they please in the name of perceived safety.
They should learn how to catch terrorists without invading the privacy of innocent citizens.

The more the FBI cries, the happier I am that Apple is implementing this.

Last edited:

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
So icloud Backups were NOT encrypted???
Well, yes and no. The iCloud backup is encrypted, but Apple holds the key to access it. This "advanced" version, however, if what Apple claims is true, means you (and presumably your device which enables it) are the only one holding the key, meaning Apple should no longer be able to hand over iCloud backup data to law enforcement.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015

So you want everyone losing privacy just IN CASE law enforcement can access the data to catch terrorists, which they, more often than not, fail horribly, or even if succeeded, takes so long, the lasting damage has become irreparable.

If people are so willing to give away their power, they might as well just give full access to law enforcement of themselves at that rate. Are you ok with police visiting your house at random times for random reasons without any warrant? Yes, you can say "I have nothing to hide" until you do.

China has already massively strengthened their anti-privacy surveillance, now that they are interrogating your device at will, searching for "illegal" (aka politically illegal) applications and data. If you are comfortable with that, good for you. We don't want US law enforcement to have unlimited power. Full stop.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Now that it’s gone it’s gonna go back to full on war and I hope they’re able to hold the line. But the sad fact is they’re going to be fighting every government, not just one or two. It won’t be easy.
And 100% China will not allow Apple to implement this, same as Turkey and a few other countries.

Reactions: dk001

mixel

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2006
Leeds, UK
The arguments against it are weird.

It’s like cops complaining that people lock their doors and secure their property because they want to be able to get inside in case a crime happens..

I mean.. thanks and all but I’d rather not? Leaving it unsecured increases the chances of crimes happening to me way more than the positive benefits of allowing you to help me if they do. 😅

Vlad Soare

macrumors 6502a
Mar 23, 2019
Bucharest, Romania
I guess from now on, instead of accessing your data illegally through a back door, they will abduct you, throw you into a cell, and beat the bejesus out of you until you unlock your phone and show them all they want to see. 😄

security.png

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.