Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macs4nw

macrumors 601
What a bunch of @#$*!
What about all the data that is in my head??? The government is pissed they cannot have that too.

If they could, they would, I'm sure of that. And the day of downloading thought processes in the human brain may sadly come sometime in the future. The closet communists will stop at nothing in their attempt to control the masses.

The excuse of necessity, is merely a ruse to erode our constitutionally enshrined freedoms.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
Not as good as we think

This may look all peaches and cream (um,, i gotta get that for later), its only our phones which are now encrypted. Most people also backup to cloud services, on their respective devices, so the FBI and/or governments can get at these anyway...

I would of felt allot happier if Apple also applied the same strong methods to iCloud too, but meh.....

We can't have everything....

Sorry to burst ya bubbles.

Oh ya, and Apple does indeed have the keys, since if you ever encrypt your hard drive with File fault, and choose to store the password with Apple, after you answer the secret question u provided, they'll give your password.

How can they decrypt the key if they don't have the key ?

Last edited:

Naaaaak

macrumors 6502a
Mar 26, 2010
We should be encrypting everything, all the time, just because we can and it's virtually free in most cases. Encrypt a phone message to grandma, encrypt your shopping list, encrypt your high score in Doodle Jump / whatever kids play these days.

The legal-because-some-corrupt-judge-said-it-was rubber stamp system they set up to listen in on everyone, everywhere, anytime, is coming to an end. It's time to see how they deal with mass encryption when suddenly their rigged game won't work anymore.

DELLsFan

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2009
Like I said, it's a bipartisan affair. Republicans haven't tried to repeal it either. I'm not a fan of either party. Honestly, I tend to feel conservative on many issues, but the people the party ends up nominating are just too extreme for my tastes

There is no "conservative party". So assuming you were still referring to the republican party: you thought Mitt Romney and John McCain were too extreme? So what did you do? Vote for middle-of-the-road Obama? Now that's a slice of precious right there. :cool:

ineedamac

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2008
It seems to me that it would be perfectly fair for the FBI to get a warrant requiring a suspect to unlock their phone so that it can be searched much the same way their house is. The FBI doesn't go to the bank that owns your house when they want to search it and likewise shouldn't go to apple to get my data. Serve me a warrant saying I have to give it to you or I go to jail. That's how lawful search and seizure works. Deal with it FBI.

I agree. They should not have a back door. If they want access to a device then the user can enter a passcode. If the user is deceased or otherwise unavailable then so be it.

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
It seems to me that it would be perfectly fair for the FBI to get a warrant requiring a suspect to unlock their phone so that it can be searched much the same way their house is. The FBI doesn't go to the bank that owns your house when they want to search it and likewise shouldn't go to apple to get my data. Serve me a warrant saying I have to give it to you or I go to jail. That's how lawful search and seizure works. Deal with it FBI.

The Supreme Court ruled that they are protected by the 5th amendment against self incrimination. Thus why they want Apple to create a loophole around the Supreme Court ruling.

Which Apple was happy to do until all the heat about privacy.

terraphantm

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2009
Pennsylvania
There is no "conservative party". So assuming you were still referring to the republican party: you thought Mitt Romney and John McCain were too extreme? So what did you do? Vote for middle-of-the-road Obama? Now that's a slice of precious right there. :cool:

Yes, I was referring to the Republican Party since nowadays republican and conservative are synonymous. I voted for who I believed to be the lesser of two evils.

DELLsFan

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2009
Yes, I was referring to the Republican Party since nowadays republican and conservative are synonymous. I voted for who I believed to be the lesser of two evils.

Voting for the lesser of two evils is respectable, and unfortunately, unavoidable in today's body politic.

However, your assumptions about conservative and republican being the same thing are wrong. It has been (wrong) for years. Hopefully we'll be able to vote without holding our noses one day.

pacalis

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2011
The notion that someone would market a closet that could never be opened -- even if it involves a case involving a child kidnapper and a court order -- to me does not make any sense.

So now we can't make bloody closets without involving the government?

xdhd350

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2010
i have nothing to hide...

Neither did roughly 20 people I can count off the top of my head who happened to live in the jurisdiction of an over zealous and racially biased Dallas County, TX prosecutor in the 80's.

Thank goodness for DNA testing and the Innocence Project. Several innocent men spent decades in prison for crimes they never committed. They likely 'cooperated' with law enforcement because they 'had nothing to hide'.

ANYONE who says, "Nothing to hide, nothing to fear." is a complete fool.

Trust law enforcement to play by the constitution? Think again.

terraphantm

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2009
Pennsylvania
Voting for the lesser of two evils is respectable, and unfortunately, unavoidable in today's body politic.

However, your assumptions about conservative and republican being the same thing are wrong. It has been (wrong) for years. Hopefully we'll be able to vote without holding our noses one day.

By and large they are the same thing today. I know it's possible to have a liberal republican and a conservative democrat, but they hardly exist nowadays.

TitoC

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2007
If you've been following the news about a girl from UVA who's been kidnapped, you would be aware of the scenario where the police believe the kidnapped girl is still out there and they are desperately trying to find her.

Yes I have but that still doesn't answer my question. People go missing and get kidnapped all the time. Does that mean that we have to give up all of our privacy & freedoms just to have the remote possibility of catching a one thief/kidnapper/terrorist? Scare and fear tactics are nothing new. The number 1 objective of Al Qaeda was NOT to just kill mass amounts of people but their main objective was to have us live in fear and destroy ourselves from within. Having the FBI have this kind of authority is just one step closer to that kind of reality. There are proven ways to pursue a case and a suspect. Having EVERYONE become a suspect and everyone give up their privacy is not the way to go. Maybe you are content with your privacy given away. I am not.

Cubytus

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2007
If you don't understand, no amount of explaining will help.
What, are you going to destroy tapping rooms shooting through the routers? Or maybe carry your gun to the airport ready to fire at whoever TSA agent happens to surreptitiously attempt to clone your hard drive? No, really, I am curious. There's no need for guns to keep people from interfering with government's affairs. TV, propaganda (Scare and fear tactics, as TitoC wrote) and consumerism do it all.

The number 1 objective of Al Qaeda was NOT to just kill mass amounts of people but their main objective was to have us live in fear and destroy ourselves from within.
In that regard they have succeeded. Or to make that clear, I am NOT living in fear of terrorists, but I do, from government's unrestrained coercion.

scottw324

macrumors 6502
Mar 5, 2012
Correct me if I'm wrong here but if you're served a warrant and refuse to follow it can't they hold you indefinitely until you allow them access?

Got me. I am definitely not a lawyer. :D

As for the whole hold you indefinitely thing.... Personally, I would say technically no since I would assume they would have to have something to hold you on. Some kind of evidence, substantial or circumstantial, in order to detain you for any major length of time. But that is what your lawyer or court appointed legal defender will work for you.

brendu

Cancelled
Apr 23, 2009
In that regard they have succeeded. Or to make that clear, I am NOT living in fear of terrorists, but I do, from government's unrestrained coercion.

So you're sayjng you actually live in fear of your government? I don't like warrant less spying but I'm not living in fear. All things considered we live in among the safest places and times in all of human history.

cmwade77

macrumors 65816
Nov 18, 2008
The problem is that they haven't been getting the warrants and still insisting that Apple and others bypass the security.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
FBI, get over it.

Technology finds a way. Did we see this already with the Napster wars.

imageWIS

macrumors 65816
Mar 17, 2009
NYC
In addition to the excellent comments I've read in this thread, surely the FBI must know that there are bad / unjust laws, which instead of progressing society, they do the exact opposite? :confused:

DELLsFan

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2009
Got me. I am definitely not a lawyer. :D

As for the whole hold you indefinitely thing.... Personally, I would say technically no since I would assume they would have to have something to hold you on. Some kind of evidence, substantial or circumstantial, in order to detain you for any major length of time. But that is what your lawyer or court appointed legal defender will work for you.

Newsflash! One of the dastardly things Obama has done was sign an executive order giving broad discretionary latitude to Interpol and law enforcement / homeland security. All this president needs to do to make anyone "go away" is accuse that person of being a terrorist. No due process, no lawyer, no appeal, no defense. You can be held indefinitely and effectively disappear if your government wanted to make it happen. This plus all the left-wing, fascist prosecutors and judges Obama has appointed, you can pretty much guarantee an uphill battle being conservative today if you voice any dissent.

DELLsFan

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2009
By and large they are the same thing today. I know it's possible to have a liberal republican and a conservative democrat, but they hardly exist nowadays.

They are not the same thing today.

I concede that conservatives may be (by and large) - registered republicans. The republican party may have traditionally been the only viable antithesis available as a counter to democrat tyranny, but it certainly doesn't mean all republicans are conservative. In fact, too few are. The big problem with republicans today is that the establishment has openly and willingly distanced itself from conservative, traditional values. No one knows what the GOP stands for anymore, except appeasement, since it's leadership stopped fighting for its soul and just surrendered it to the left.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.