Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FindingAvalon

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2021
I'm able to express an opinion and disagree with others here without resorting to insulting them.

Private companies can work in tandem with governments in all nations. In the US Microsoft was accused of leaving a backdoor in Windows 7 which the US government could access. This wasn't a story on a nameless blog, this came from the Assurance Director of the National Security Agency in his testimony before Congress.
No, actually you’re not. You called Americans naive and now you have the temerity to get butthurt when it’s done to you. My original comment to you stands.

Mad4WDW

macrumors regular
Apr 5, 2010
Would the FCC commissioner be able to successfully have Apple remove TikTok if it was sideloaded from outside Apples App store?

Reactions: ikir

sw1tcher

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
What are you talking about? Biden is doing a great job!

He’s done… um…

Well, you see, he’s accomplished….

Uhh…

He’s just doing a great job, okay?!!

🤪
Sometimes it's better to not do anything than to try doing things and end up making things worse.

Just some of the things I can think of off the top of my head...
  • Contest election results based on lies --> January 6 insurection
  • Try to save coal companies --> record number of coal company bankruptcies (1 per quarter) during term
  • Reduce trade gap --> trade gap soars
  • Stop Covid spread by lying about it and playing it down --> over 1 million dead Americans and countless others with long Covid
  • Cut taxes to help middle class --> Tax cuts end up benefitting the rich and companies use the tax cuts to conduct a record amount of stock buybacks
  • Build a border wall --> con artists use it as an excuse to bilk donors out of tens of millions, and what had been built is slowly rusting away and collapsing with a gust of wind
  • Promise to spent time getting things done --> ends up spending more time golfing than any other president and using Twitter
  • Solve opioid problem --> opioid problem gets even worse
  • Replace the Affordable Care Act with something better --> We get nothing, and what was proposed was actually worse

visualseed

macrumors 6502a
Dec 16, 2020
Would the FCC commissioner be able to successfully have Apple remove TikTok if it was sideloaded from outside Apples App store?
I was about to say the same

What are they going to do when Congress and the FTC (also the EU) blow up the AppStore model and users will be able and actively encouraged to side-load apps from anywhere? Having a single choke point to sanction apps is kind of nice right now and is probably the only reasonable means to enforce an app ban. How will sanctions against foreign internet services be enforced in a future when anything can be installed from anywhere with a URL? Will the US get a Freedom Firewall to rival China's Great Firewall?

Minxy

macrumors 6502
Nov 17, 2012
No, actually you’re not. You called Americans naive and now you have the temerity to get butthurt when it’s done to you. My original comment to you stands.

Nothing in my statement reveals hurt of any sort. Another member of the forum explaining to you facts from a position of insight, or highlighting you being wrong is not an attack on you so please don't take it that way! It is simply revealing where your area of knowledge is lacking for the purpose of enlightening you so you can eventually debate from a position based on facts rather than 'feelings'.

Because of your repeated abuse I will now block you for an unspecified period. Please do not send me any messages. Good day.

JM

macrumors 601
Nov 23, 2014
Sometimes it's better to not do anything than to try doing things and end up making things worse.

Just some of the things I can think of off the top of my head...
  • Contest election results based on lies --> January 6 insurection
  • Try to save coal companies --> record number of coal company bankruptcies (1 per quarter) during term
  • Reduce trade gap --> trade gap soars
  • Stop Covid spread by lying about it and playing it down --> over 1 million dead Americans and countless others with long Covid
  • Cut taxes to help middle class --> Tax cuts end up benefitting the rich and companies use the tax cuts to conduct a record amount of stock buybacks
  • Build a border wall --> con artists use it as an excuse to bilk donors out of tens of millions, and what had been built is slowly rusting away and collapsing with a gust of wind
  • Promise to spent time getting things done --> ends up spending more time golfing than any other president and using Twitter
  • Solve opioid problem --> opioid problem gets even worse
  • Replace the Affordable Care Act with something better --> We get nothing, and what was proposed was actually worse
I sincerely and truly hope that you’re able to vote the bad orange out of office this year. He’s been terrible for the country. The worst.

Lol.

All jovial ribbing aside, that little spoiler box you did was kind of cooli

• Disagree
Reactions: maxoakland

BellSystem

macrumors 6502
Mar 17, 2022
Boston, MA
TikTok is less a data mining operation and more like an operation to reduce intelligence and awareness for other countries. Make them dumb then manipulate the masses. Collapse social structure by spreading the worst in people. It’s a worse weapon than a nuke.

Reactions: Minxy and ddhhddhh2

amartinez1660

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2014
So you guys don’t ever watch tv, read websites, watch movies, watch or attend sporting events or any other form of entertainment out there? Sounds fun.
Well, I do read websites, hence why replying on this on a… website.

And every person is for sure different, me personally when confronted between sitting at the TV for one hour or hit the gym or jog for an hour 9 out of 10 I’ll choose the latter (while on some podcast probably while at it).

Sports events, mostly not for me, I actually feel nothing regarding “whether my team won or lost” as it’s actually really hard for me to feel proud/happy/sad for achievements that I had nothing to do with, at most “damn that’s cool” or “that was well done”. I’ll instead maybe hit some race track and do some as fast as possible laps (even if I suck at it).

Or embark on personal projects to see if something sticks.

I’ll also spend a total of never minutes posting about any of this on Tik Tok or Instagram. I also bring some friends along for the rides, and yes, it sounds and actually is fun (or so they say).

In any case, don’t let that stop you, it isn’t a personal attack, there’s absolutely an appeal to all things entertainment, vices and all of that.

Pizzas and hamburgers are freaking delicious, I’m just saying when given the choice to get unhealthily fat or not, I’ll try to err on the healthy side… erring on the healthy side gives you an advantage over those that aren’t.

And in this food analogy, of course I’m all down for never ever banning pizza and hamburgers.

DC Wallaby

macrumors regular
Aug 22, 2014
You do know that YouTube has some long videos, right? I mean Isaac Arthur's videos generally advice getting a drink and snack. There are also documentary channels like History Time and most of their vidoes are 50 minutes or longer. Then you have all the free with ads or totally free movies.
You do know that YouTube is primarily known for serving up a constant stream of algorithmically-driven short-form videos (many under 10 minutes, since that was the original length limit on most YouTube uploads), right? :rolleyes:

The existence of long-form entertainment and educational content on YouTube in no way negates what I said.

Reactions: ikir

McTaste

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2014
Ok, I’m all for security, privacy and all of that.

But I’m also for a secure and private attitude and lifestyle… I can’t complain about “my privacy” and then go bonkers publicly broadcasting my life online.

The magnitude of it reaching US wide security threats though… next level.

I’ll keep it to “how distracting it makes people”

There’s a way to spin this… for every minute totally wasted on a daily basis this way, is a minute of advantage for you and everybody else not on it gained for free.

Less competition for you, and seen this way, heck don’t ban it 😅
less competition is more people who need support?

rafark

macrumors 68000
Sep 1, 2017
Funny how you all want tik tok banned. And Facebook. And google. And Epic games. Do you really want to live in a world of Apple-only apps and sites? That sounds awful.

Maximara

macrumors 68000
Jun 16, 2008
You do know that YouTube is primarily known for serving up a constant stream of algorithmically-driven short-form videos (many under 10 minutes, since that was the original length limit on most YouTube uploads), right? :rolleyes:

The existence of long-form entertainment and educational content on YouTube in no way negates what I said.
The thing is they are algorithmically-driven and if you prefer long videos in whatever subject matter you choose that is what is offered up. I pulled up 'SCP-5000 Why? - The Full Story Compilation' and due to my viewing habits I have very few of the videos offered are under the 30 minute mark. Heck, I have a lot of 1 hour+ options provided some of which go past the 4 hour mark.

Never mind "Best TikTok video length: 7 – 15 seconds" Seconds not minutes. Heck, Tiktok has a average of 47 seconds long. Doesn't help that some 2015 Microsoft study said the average adult attention span is only 8 seconds. I have ADHD and even I have an attention span longer than that.

JippaLippa

macrumors 65816
Jan 14, 2013
I know Instagram, facebook, youtube shorts, and all other social apps CAN be cancer...
But TikTok is pure cancer, even not so literally in the way it kinda takes control of your phone (data wise).
I know there are a few cool tiktokers, but most content on the platform is quite creepy in the sense that's so stupid and overstimulating (with all the annoying music and sounds) or awkwardly sexualised in a way that feels very uncomfortable.
Considering the horrible effect it's having on the youth's mental health, I'd be in favour of the ban.
Instagram seems to be targeted to a wider spectrum, mostly millenials...but tiktok is really targeted to GEN Z.

DC Wallaby

macrumors regular
Aug 22, 2014
The thing is they are algorithmically-driven and if you prefer long videos in whatever subject matter you choose that is what is offered up. I pulled up 'SCP-5000 Why? - The Full Story Compilation' and due to my viewing habits I have very few of the videos offered are under the 30 minute mark. Heck, I have a lot of 1 hour+ options provided some of which go past the 4 hour mark.

Never mind "Best TikTok video length: 7 – 15 seconds" Seconds not minutes. Heck, Tiktok has a average of 47 seconds long. Doesn't help that some 2015 Microsoft study said the average adult attention span is only 8 seconds. I have ADHD and even I have an attention span longer than that.
Why are you trying to argue with me about this? At no point was I discussing the kinds of content that I consume on YouTube. Like, yeah, great, you watch a bunch of long-form videos on YouTube. You telling me what long videos you watch on YouTube is about as germane to this conversation as me telling you what books I’m reading. Whoopdee-freakin‘-do. It has nothing to do with anything I said.

eoblaed

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010
Unpopular opinion: I rather enjoy TikTok. The cleverness of some people never ceases to amaze me, and there's so many clips that are just feel-good, enjoyable snacks of content that I'd be quite saddened if it went away.

Another unpopular opinion: TikTok doesn't really have access to anything about me that could compromise me in any way. Sure, stuff like this should always be looked at and investigated, but there's no huge compromising situation in play here.

Finally: I see a lot of people in this thread calling for the banning of TikTok because it's a 'stupid' app, or other similar sentiments. For those that think it's stupid, or a waste of time, or something they are repelled by ... great. Don't download the app. It doesn't need to be banned for people that don't like it to not have it on their devices.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.