Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

splifingate

macrumors 65816
Nov 27, 2013
ATL
Thanks for nothing.

Man, that's an embarrassingly harsh response to someone who voluntarily gifted their valuable thoughts and time.

My counsel is to take a breather from worrying about video manipulation, and spend that time honing your interpersonal skills ;)

Regards, splifingate

JustinePaula

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2012
I have been in the game a very long time, and developed ideas as a result, I fully understand the original comment, and as a result of decades editing, done a lot of self education, I tend to no longer trust the training offered now, as it is mostly non viable for what I need, there is an issue with the words "training" and "teaching"...

Example, with final cut pro 6/7 you would buy a book, with an included DVD, there is one example, that had about 9 different exercises you work through, and wow, this was not only teaching the app, but the art of editing, I would love so much if that version would be re-used for 2023 FCP, Diane Weynard I think was the author, it was a great example of how to do it right, the range of exercises was brilliant..

When FCPX was released I bought the "training" from Ripple, about some down on his luck, lost his career helicopter pilot trying to make a living shooting cinema when everyone and the family dog used drones...Honestly boring is me being gentle, it was tragic that this is what Apple thought was training, oh yeah, in 8 hours or less, from how to install the app to creating a 5 minute promo, using every aspect of the app, great but..

A huge disappointment, it was not at all useful, very frustrating, 2nd being video based, you really need 2 pc's, 1 pc/mac to play the video tutorial and 1 mac to edit on, the at least with the book it was somehow easier, and the media was on the dvd, not online...

The only way to learn it in the doing, and I learn almost every day, someone will ask, why do I do this or that, and I have to explain, then it dawns on me, I do it out of muscle memory, long forgot the why, just becomes a habit, I was asked what the F9, F10 keys do, "fcp 7" and I did not know, I knew from doing, what I needed, f9 does this, f10 does that, just muscle memory...

I believe in educating to solve a problem now, teach only enough to get the task complete, and if more is required, more teaching is given, often I find that once students get to a certain point, they start exploring, and start to make the connections, and how things fit, I try and not fix, I guide them, let them figure out what went wrong, let them find the solution, often it is just about reading the screen, going through the menu, trial and error...

Reactions: splifingate

Fat_Guy

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2021
I feel like an old man here.

My advice is to get Resolve and learn that even if the learning curve is steep. My choice was Avid and it worked well until they decided to make it look like Resolve. So I kept the old Avid Media Composer and went with Resolve Studio.

If you buy the “speed editor” you get the software basically for free. Resolve was a super expensive color grader that ended up having bits and pieces of other programs added on and now it’s a complete editor. A very steep learning curve but this is the future. Premiere, Avid and FC had their day but most are using Resolve if they are starting out.

Anyway, I’m a hack but my stuff has aired on two networks and that was why I stayed with Avid. After my last movie I could jump ship and that was to Resolve.

Oh, you really need a powerful computer for Resolve. Basically a gaming computer with a graphics card with at least 12gig ram before playback stutter disappeared. There was always that. So for PC users, while Resolve is free you pay to use it with the hardware upgrades. Nothing is ever free.

JustinePaula

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2012
My advice is to start at the start, with whatever app you feel will help you with completing the task you need to complete, every "professional" grade app is going to have a steep learning curve, and 100% will not be 100% perfect, you will develop a method of working that will not be taught in schools, or through tutorials..

Start with the free apps, or the cheap apps, ask targeted questions, not vague what is best, that is like asking what is the truck? it all depends, do you need 4 wheel drive, part time 4 wheel drive, a bigger crew cab or a smaller load bed? 1/2 ton, 1 ton? Sand or snow?

I see there is a new gaming toy from Asus, that claims to be better than a gaming PC, that has 16GB of RAM, win11 under the hood, I wonder with a dongle and flat screen tv, wireless mouse/keyboard, you have a portable editing station that can dock, runs resolve, maybe a bit of A brand rental only software...

What are your needs? Maybe a 2020 M1 macbook air with FCP? Resolve? Do you need to spend for a studio version of Resolve now?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.