Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pdjudd

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2007
Plymouth, MN
I'd be curious to know at which level this kill switch is located. Does the consumer have control, or is control left to the carrier?

All indications is that it’s consumer controlled. The carrier can’t exert such control on a device like that to disable it. I believe the most they can do is stop it from connecting to their network.

ardchoille50

macrumors 68020
Feb 6, 2014
All indications is that it’s consumer controlled. The carrier can’t exert such control on a device like that to disable it. I believe the most they can do is stop it from connecting to their network.

That was a wise move.

r00fus

macrumors regular
May 23, 2009
Like CA and the Fed does not have more important things to worry about??? In CA, we are $Billions in debt and the Fed is $Trillions in debt and we are worried about cell phone theft?

What a joke!

But not as bad as Earwax research!

While I agree with your sentiment, your facts aren't there - the CA government is now pulling in rising surpluses and is paying back their debt:

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/10/us/with-surplus-in-hand-california-eyes-debt.html?_r=0

That said, I ***** hate this mandated kill-switch - esp. because it's completely unnecessary.

h4lp m3

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2011
New Orleans
A move to kill the second hand phone market.

----------

While this measure is better than nothing...

No, it's not. It's an extension of planned obsolescence.
All this does it rapidly depreciate the value of a device from $400 to worthless, forcing more sales and thus increasing Apple's bottom line.

It doesn't help owners recover their property in the slightest. In fact, it encourages thieves to get rid of them faster, by pawning them off on honest people looking for a bargain.

It's horsecrap, that's what it is.

macs4nw

macrumors 601
All this does it rapidly depreciate the value of a device from $400 to worthless, forcing more sales and thus increasing Apple's bottom line.

It doesn't help owners recover their property in the slightest. In fact, it encourages thieves to get rid of them faster, by pawning them off on honest people looking for a bargain.

So you're saying nothing should be done about thefts? Is that what you're suggesting? According to you, that would play even more into Apple's hands; the more phones get stolen, the more phones need to be replaced, right?

h4lp m3

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2011
New Orleans
So you're saying nothing should be done about thefts? Is that what you're suggesting? According to you, that would play even more into Apple's hands; the more phones get stolen, the more phones need to be replaced, right?

Yea, that's what I said... NOTHING should be done about theft. :rolleyes:

pdjudd

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2007
Plymouth, MN
How?

Well if a thief tries to steal something, it should be worthless to them - then they have less of a reason to steal it.

It doesn't help owners recover their property in the slightest
That’s not the point. It’s to deter thieves by making something desirable become much less. And to protect your data.

Find my iPhone and law enforcement is for recovery of stolen merchandise. That’s a separate thing that this law is not targeting.

In fact, it encourages thieves to get rid of them faster, by pawning them off on honest people looking for a bargain.

That won’t work if the thing is a brick and the buyer actually is interested in what he is buying. My guess the buyer doesn’t like to get conned. That makes the device even less desirable if they can’t sell it. And thieves would still try and do that even without that.

Says you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.