Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Canyda

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 7, 2020
So, a while ago on this thread (https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/weird-airtags-shipping-experience.2351202/) I detailed how FedEx lost my AirTags for a week.

Last week I ordered the big Belkin braided iPhone charging cord to use in my office from Apple Canada's website because there weren't any in stock at my local Apple store. Of course, it shipped FedEx and was to be delivered on Wednesday.

On Tuesday, I notice on my tracking that it's "out for delivery" but it doesn't show up at our door nor do I get any notifications of any kind about it being delivered. It's just "out for delivery" all night.

Wednesday morning, going through my condo complex, I notice that there's a "Missed Delivery" tag on the bulletin board inside our secured doors next to our mailboxes that's for my package! It says that they tried to deliver at 5:32 pm on Tuesday. WE WERE HOME!

So FedEx got into my building (somehow, without buzzing our condo), but didn't even try to go to my door and knock. Instead, they pinned the Missed Delivery tag and left.

Wait. It gets better.

So my Missed Delivery slip says I have to go to Staples on Thursday after 10 am to pick up the package.

I head down after work.

Pick up the package and walk out.

Get to my car and realize - the package has been partially opened. And my charging cord has been stolen.

Sigh.

So I call Apple and get it replaced, and then call FedEx and give them a piece of my mind.

I suppose shame on me for trusting FedEx again. Next time I need something from Apple that's not in stock, I'll go for in-store pickup instead of delivery.

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
FedEx is a mess. I hang out in a Facebook group for a totally different non-computer related product and there is so much hate for FedEx there. They lose packages or damage them. My personal experience so far they haven’t lost or damaged any of my packages but they’re never on time. If they say it’s going to come on a certain date, it usually comes a few days later.

Reactions: macsound1

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I think this must vary by locale. Because, the kind of thing OP has an issue with is the kind of thing I have experienced with UPS in my city since moving here.

It's the exact opposite of FedEx. They've been very good, either receiving packages or shipping them. The kicker is that I live down the street from a UPS facility.

• Love
Reactions: compwiz1202

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
I have had issues with all of the carriers... Fedex, UPS, USPS, DHL, and one who's name is escaping me. Heck, even Amazon deliveries have gotten pretty bad.

All of have damaged packages, all have said they delivered, when they hadn't, thank you Ring. Horrible service all the way around.

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010
I have had issues with all of the carriers... Fedex, UPS, USPS, DHL, and one who's name is escaping me. Heck, even Amazon deliveries have gotten pretty bad.

All of have damaged packages, all have said they delivered, when they hadn't, thank you Ring. Horrible service all the way around.
The worst Amazon usually does is put it in the wrong building, and that may have been twice ever. At least they take pics, so I can recognize where it is. The others aren't so good. I always cringe when I see an Amazon delivery isn't through them. Fortunately, it doesn't happen very often

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
my recent trouble with Amazon is that the drivers have been taking pictures of packages and then putting them somewhere else

Why take the picture then... doh!

We have had a couple packages that were shown as delivered, only to be delivered a few days later. Strange. I wonder if they were trying to stay on the one or two day delivery promise and well missed it by "that" much...

Macky-Mac

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2004
Why take the picture then... doh!

We have had a couple packages that were shown as delivered, only to be delivered a few days later. Strange. I wonder if they were trying to stay on the one or two day delivery promise and well missed it by "that" much...

I suspect Amazon requires them to take the photos. I've been told by drivers that they have a time limit for their routes and not making the deadline gets them into trouble, so I suspect this was an attempt to speed up the driver's progress along the route.

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
I bought something from the Microsoft Store for overnight, everything was well before the cutoff time for shipping, it went out on time, with a next day delivery date - and of course, once Fedex got it's hands on it - it appeared to sit in the Indianapolis hub for an extra day for no reason. So much for next day.

Fedex used to be the best. Now they are the worst.

icanhazmac

Contributor
Apr 11, 2018
Getting Ring cameras has been both a blessing and a curse at the same time. Now I spend time sending video clips of delivery people throwing my packages to FedEx with almost every delivery. The blessing I guess is also making it a point to meet and thank the good ones from USPS and UPS though both have been bad from time to time. I know I got more than 1 USPS person fired for package rape.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
Package still listed as in Indianapolis (only 4 hours drive away) since Wed 6:43PM, now 9:41AM Thursday, still "delayed". For a priority overnight package that should have been delivered Wed. Sure glad I paid for "overnight." Which, for Fedex, seems to be only a hopeful suggestion.

Canyda

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 7, 2020
Package still listed as in Indianapolis (only 4 hours drive away) since Wed 6:43PM, now 9:41AM Thursday, still "delayed". For a priority overnight package that should have been delivered Wed. Sure glad I paid for "overnight." Which, for Fedex, seems to be only a hopeful suggestion.
FEDEX: When it absolutely, positively has to be somewhere, at some point, we hope.

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
FEDEX: When it absolutely, positively has to be somewhere, at some point, we hope.

Well, somehwat good news. It just magically showed up in my hometown (though probably too late to get on a truck today). So, a next day package received two days late, I guess I will be a lucky one.

Though a new wrinkle. Tonight, a major snow storm will hit, to last through Sunday. Who knows when I can actually get it delivered. Monday? *sigh*

Mousse

macrumors 68040
Apr 7, 2008
Flea Bottom, King's Landing
I ordered a volleyball back in the 1999. Got shipped via FedEx, but never received it. In 2000, I learned that my volleyball ended up on an island somewhere with Tom Hanks.🙃
Wilson-balls.jpg

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
Well, to finish my story that no one cares about, after getting stuck in Indy for two days, it finally arrived yesterday in my hub (Buffalo NY) at 11:33AM. But since the flight from the Memphis hub is a 3AM flight, that means they trucked my "overnight" order in. And 11:33AM arrival is too late for getting on a truck. So, for Friday.

Except a record snowstorm hit Thursday night and a travel ban was instituted overnight Friday. So no package until maybe Monday. Except...

To my great surprise, I got a delivery message and a box sitting on my porch, despite a travel ban, on Friday morning. The snow is still pretty deep and I don't think our street has even been plowed yet. My own yard is getting done now.

I have to say, while the Fedex national network sucks, their local guys came through.

myscrnnm

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2014
Seattle, WA
They're the literal worst. All the times they say a package is going to get here, and then it doesn't. And the couriers always leave my packages on the edge of the porch so that thieves can see them. This is the most egregious one. They left two packages on my driveway for everyone in the neighborhood to see while I was at work.
7D403E68-3ABC-4B0E-952D-54B6E79CDB8F.jpeg

icanhazmac

Contributor
Apr 11, 2018
They're the literal worst. All the times they say a package is going to get here, and then it doesn't. And the couriers always leave my packages on the edge of the porch so that thieves can see them. This is the most egregious one. They left two packages on my driveway for everyone in the neighborhood to see while I was at work.
View attachment 2118825

Yup, I have similar instances where they leave packages on the very edge of my front porch, visible and unprotected. If they just went up 3 steps and took 3 more they would be less visible and protected from the weather by the overhang but they just don't care.

Besides that I have a note on my accounts with both UPS and FedEx that clearly says DELIVER TO BACK DOOR.

H-L-T

Suspended
Oct 30, 2022
Kai-Tak
I have a note on my accounts with both UPS and FedEx that clearly says DELIVER TO BACK DOOR.
That’s a request. It doesn’t mean it has to be fulfilled where you indicate for your residence by the driver. I’m sure the drivers clearly can read your note, they’re just voluntarily choosing not to acknowledge your request, possibly due to other factoring circumstances.

icanhazmac

Contributor
Apr 11, 2018
That’s a request. It doesn’t mean it has to be fulfilled where you indicate for your residence by the driver. I’m sure the drivers clearly can read your note, they’re just voluntarily choosing not to acknowledge your request, possibly due to other factoring circumstances.

I guess but both UPS and FedEx created the ability to enter delivery notes in their system and I would imagine that they frown on their drivers ignoring customer requests which make them look bad.

Oh and "due to other factoring circumstances"??? Seriously? It is called being lazy and not taking your job seriously. Simple as that.

H-L-T

Suspended
Oct 30, 2022
Kai-Tak
Oh and "due to other factoring circumstances"??? Seriously? It is called being lazy and not taking your job seriously. Simple as that.
Yes, seriously. But since you asked, and you can’t self-configure other circumstances on your own, I’ll provide some for you, like there’s multiple back doors, locked gate, inaccurate instructions, aggressive dog. Nonetheless, your reason of laziness is not the sole reason for totality of circumstances. Again, it’s a request, which I’m sure most drivers try to fulfill the best they can, but there are indeed, circumstances.

icanhazmac

Contributor
Apr 11, 2018
Yes, seriously. But since you asked, and you can’t self-configure other circumstances on your own, I’ll provide some for you, like there’s multiple back doors, locked gate, inaccurate instructions, aggressive dog. Nonetheless, your reason of laziness is not the sole reason for totality of circumstances. Again, it’s a request, which I’m sure most drivers try to fulfill the best they can, but there are indeed, circumstances.

Wow, delivery person fan much?

There are no "multiple back doors, locked gate, inaccurate instructions, aggressive dog" etc on my property, which is the specific instance I am speaking about. There are no excuses for not fulfilling my company offered request except laziness or they didn't see my note which is listed under not performing your job correctly. Really as simple as that.

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
Growing up and "back in the day" - we would build relationships up with our delivery people - be it USPS, FedEx, or UPS. I found doing this had a huge impact on delivery chances.

Now that I'm an older fart I've had bad experiences with all services. They all seem to change their drivers on a daily basis so there's no building relationships with them. I've had drivers say they can't find my place despite delivering packages the day previously. I stayed late at work in a chair outside the front door for hours only to have some say no one was there (several days in a row). lol - I rejected that package when they actually delivered it 2 days later.

I have fond memories of talking with our local UPS delivery person - they'd stop in, talk, get a drink, use the restroom if they needed - we ALWAYs got our packages on time and looked forward to chatting with him. (10 years ago or so).

The saddest are the Amazon delivery drivers. Those guys seem so overworked, stressed, unhappy, downtrodden, hopeless. You can see it in their eyes. (My wife and I gave up our Amazon Prime subscription earlier this year for other reasons).

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
Growing up and "back in the day" - we would build relationships up with our delivery people - be it USPS, FedEx, or UPS. I found doing this had a huge impact on delivery chances.

Now that I'm an older fart I've had bad experiences with all services. They all seem to change their drivers on a daily basis so there's no building relationships with them. I've had drivers say they can't find my place despite delivering packages the day previously. I stayed late at work in a chair outside the front door for hours only to have some say no one was there (several days in a row). lol - I rejected that package when they actually delivered it 2 days later.

I have fond memories of talking with our local UPS delivery person - they'd stop in, talk, get a drink, use the restroom if they needed - we ALWAYs got our packages on time and looked forward to chatting with him. (10 years ago or so).

The saddest are the Amazon delivery drivers. Those guys seem so overworked, stressed, unhappy, downtrodden, hopeless. You can see it in their eyes. (My wife and I gave up our Amazon Prime subscription earlier this year for other reasons).

It gotten really bad is modern Internet ordering from online stores! Sure living in Rural community with high speed internet (Rich guy and they brought in fiber to Finder Lakes communities back in 90s! The one advantage on online stores that are almost 60 miles away!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.