Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
They're the literal worst. All the times they say a package is going to get here, and then it doesn't. And the couriers always leave my packages on the edge of the porch so that thieves can see them. This is the most egregious one. They left two packages on my driveway for everyone in the neighborhood to see while I was at work.
View attachment 2118825

Good thing it didn't rain.

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010
Yup, I have similar instances where they leave packages on the very edge of my front porch, visible and unprotected. If they just went up 3 steps and took 3 more they would be less visible and protected from the weather by the overhang but they just don't care.

Besides that I have a note on my accounts with both UPS and FedEx that clearly says DELIVER TO BACK DOOR.
I don't think anyone reads anything or there is some glitch. I was excited once that FedEx had a choice online to waive signature, but they still left a tag. And I can put detailed instructions for food delvery, and they obviously don't read it. At least there was the one pizza place where the delivery person praised my directions

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010
Growing up and "back in the day" - we would build relationships up with our delivery people - be it USPS, FedEx, or UPS. I found doing this had a huge impact on delivery chances.

Now that I'm an older fart I've had bad experiences with all services. They all seem to change their drivers on a daily basis so there's no building relationships with them. I've had drivers say they can't find my place despite delivering packages the day previously. I stayed late at work in a chair outside the front door for hours only to have some say no one was there (several days in a row). lol - I rejected that package when they actually delivered it 2 days later.

I have fond memories of talking with our local UPS delivery person - they'd stop in, talk, get a drink, use the restroom if they needed - we ALWAYs got our packages on time and looked forward to chatting with him. (10 years ago or so).

The saddest are the Amazon delivery drivers. Those guys seem so overworked, stressed, unhappy, downtrodden, hopeless. You can see it in their eyes. (My wife and I gave up our Amazon Prime subscription earlier this year for other reasons).
This is why I hate third party deliveries. Even if they couldn't see instructions for some reason, if it were their employees delivering, they'd eventually remember. But places like DD GH UE you get someone from a large pool

Reactions: max2 and BigMcGuire

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010
The one thing I side with the delivery people and other employees on, is businesses today are production production..........You could have 200% production with 20% quality and no one woulld care unless some VIP actually complained. But forbid you were perfect even at 100% you'd still get in trouble. So there's no room for out of the box things. If it's not perfect, they pur in some BS reason and move on. And no room to build relationships anymore either

Reactions: max2

H-L-T

Suspended
Oct 30, 2022
Kai-Tak
This is why I hate third party deliveries. Even if they couldn't see instructions for some reason, if it were their employees delivering, they'd eventually remember. But places like DD GH UE you get someone from a large pool
During the pandemic, I used Uber eats quite a bit, supporting tons of local restaurants around my region. But, like you said, part of the problem is, your order is directly queued to any driver that’s willing to accept it, versus I would prefer to have a specific driver I could choose from that’s been prompt, delivered my order with care, solid communication and followed directions, and so forth. I would be willing to pay more to have a driver that perhaps works regularly based off their rating, but unfortunately, I’m typically stuck with drivers that look like they rolled out of bed wearing homer Simpson pajama pants and not using a thermal bag to keep the order thermally controlled like they’re suggested to do. I have an issue with that.

Be that it may, I rarely, if ever now, use delivery services, where I’m frequenting back in person. And I believe in leaving gratuity for good drivers, which, hopefully makes them feel appreciated for those who really put in the effort.

H-L-T

Suspended
Oct 30, 2022
Kai-Tak
I ordered a new iPhone that’s slated to be here on Tuesday. It’s actually to be delivered by UPS versus FedEx, which is a good thing. I find UPS actually be a decently professional service, and even though I won’t be home for the delivery, they’re usually very respectful of handling my packages. I don’t think there’s even been a time where I’ve had to review camera footage when they delivered loads of packages over the years.

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
I ordered a new iPhone that’s slated to be here on Tuesday. It’s actually to be delivered by UPS versus FedEx, which is a good thing. I find UPS actually be a decently professional service, and even though I won’t be home for the delivery, they’re usually very respectful of handling my packages. I don’t think there’s even been a time where I’ve had to review camera footage when they delivered loads of packages over the years.

Despite my criticisms of Fedex, I have never had an issue with the delivery "quality" - no wrecked or mishandled packages, from either UPS or Fedex. And the UPS guy leaves a Milkbone biscuit for my dog.

Reactions: compwiz1202

Kimmo

macrumors 6502
Jul 30, 2011
I think this must vary by locale. Because, the kind of thing OP has an issue with is the kind of thing I have experienced with UPS in my city since moving here.

It's the exact opposite of FedEx. They've been very good, either receiving packages or shipping them. The kicker is that I live down the street from a UPS facility.
That's been my experience.

FedEx = Good

UPS = Oh, my! :eek:

Reactions: max2 and eyoungren

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010
During the pandemic, I used Uber eats quite a bit, supporting tons of local restaurants around my region. But, like you said, part of the problem is, your order is directly queued to any driver that’s willing to accept it, versus I would prefer to have a specific driver I could choose from that’s been prompt, delivered my order with care, solid communication and followed directions, and so forth. I would be willing to pay more to have a driver that perhaps works regularly based off their rating, but unfortunately, I’m typically stuck with drivers that look like they rolled out of bed wearing homer Simpson pajama pants and not using a thermal bag to keep the order thermally controlled like they’re suggested to do. I have an issue with that.

Be that it may, I rarely, if ever now, use delivery services, where I’m frequenting back in person. And I believe in leaving gratuity for good drivers, which, hopefully makes them feel appreciated for those who really put in the effort.
Same. Even with the Dashpass or the equivalent with the other, just the markups on the items are ridiculous. Why should the restaurant be passing their share to the consumer when they benefit from the service too?

EDIT: One extreme example of this was with DD and BWW. With Dashpass making delivery zero, and BWW charging $5 delivery AND using DD to deliver. BWW was at least $5 cheaper than using DD directly.

Macky-Mac

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2004
I get delivery from FedEx, UPS, Amazon.....and even USPS still delivers stuff.

All of them have their good and bad moments. For the bad, sometimes it's systemic, but a lot of the poor service moments are the blame of the individual drivers

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
I guess but both UPS and FedEx created the ability to enter delivery notes in their system and I would imagine that they frown on their drivers ignoring customer requests which make them look bad.

Oh and "due to other factoring circumstances"??? Seriously? It is called being lazy and not taking your job seriously. Simple as that.
Do you have *any* concept on the inhumane number of deliveries a single driver has to make each day?

I talk to the drivers all the time at work and when they deliver to my home. Hundreds of independent deliveries per route. There simply isn’t time or staffing to adhere to these requests.

These drivers work their asses off every day, and it only gets worse during the holidays (which is why you see absurd behavior like throwing things and frantically moving to the next stop).

The problem is not the drivers, or their amount of caring, it’s that these companies do not give a **** about you or their employees (the heat waves in the US resulted in numerous heat strokes and one driver death because they don’t even get fans in most of the trucks).

Spare us this entitled crap about them being lazy, and sign up to be a package handler or driver for even one day and report back to us on the conditions before denigrating these ridiculously overworked people.

And yes, FedEx and UPS are both terrible *companies*.

Last edited:
Reactions: millerj123

poorcody

macrumors 65816
Jul 23, 2013
One thing I will say about FedEx is their tracking system tends to over-promise and under-deliver. Frequently I will get a delivery notification, saying it is going to come a day or two early. Then the day before, it suddenly reverts back to the original date. I've had times where the tracking says the package is being delivered "today", then never shows up, and says "today" the next day. Sometimes it does that two days in a row.

In contrast, UPS tracking is always accurate, and if anything it might come a day early.

One other thing I've read, is that UPS uses employee-drivers and pays relatively well, so they have long-term drivers. FedEx on the other hand tends to use contract drivers that have less commitment and benefits. I think working for either company is probably hard though as they really try to squeeze every minute of efficiency they can out of their delivery networks.

myscrnnm

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2014
Seattle, WA
One thing I will say about FedEx is their tracking system tends to over-promise and under-deliver. Frequently I will get a delivery notification, saying it is going to come a day or two early. Then the day before, it suddenly reverts back to the original date. I've had times where the tracking says the package is being delivered "today", then never shows up, and says "today" the next day. Sometimes it does that two days in a row.

In contrast, UPS tracking is always accurate, and if anything it might come a day early.

One other thing I've read, is that UPS uses employee-drivers and pays relatively well, so they have long-term drivers. FedEx on the other hand tends to use contract drivers that have less commitment and benefits. I think working for either company is probably hard though as they really try to squeeze every minute of efficiency they can out of their delivery networks.
You are lucky then, because I've usually had the opposite experience with FedEx. In my experience, they will give an expected delivery date, but then usually move it to a later date (never the other way around).

Now FedEx is giving me a poor experience even when I'm not at home. FedEx driver cuts me off on the freeway (signals as they're merging, not before, and into a lane with vehicles moving at a significantly higher speed).

whitby

macrumors 6502
Dec 13, 2007
Austin, TX
Interesting thread here. However my problem is UPS (Fedex are a lost cause and USPS are so bad I try to insist no one use them). I was just ruminating on the journey my new iPhone 14 Pro Max was taking to get to me here in Texas. China to Alaska to Kentucky to Nebraska and I am still waiting. China to Alaska and customs clearance 2 days. Alaska to Kentucky 1 day. Kentucky to Nebraska 5 days. And waiting now. Total incompetence with 3 reschedules on their web site, all within 30 minutes of scheduled delivery time ..... I suspect I am going to lose this new iPhone before it gets to me. Maybe if they packaged the iPhone in large boxes (24 x 18 x 12 say) and made them weigh 30lbs they would do better.... My new pool cleaner arrived from Florida in 2 days.

icanhazmac

Contributor
Apr 11, 2018
Do you have *any* concept on the inhumane number of deliveries a single driver has to make each day?

Inhumane? Exaggerate much? Look, most people have busy and slow seasons or times in their work flow, I manage to deal with them for my customers and I expect the same in return from my vendors. There is no excuse for throwing packages, simple as that.

There simply isn’t time or staffing to adhere to these requests.

Again, the company offers me the ability to define delivery notes so I can assume they expect their employees to honor them as best they can. I agree that circumstances can present themselves but they would be few and far in between, customer requests should be honored.

These drivers work their asses off every day, and it only gets worse during the holidays (which is why you see absurd behavior like throwing things and frantically moving to the next stop).

I acknowledge it is a labor intensive job.

Again, no excuse for throwing boxes or leaving them exposed when protection is literally 3 steps away. I have drivers that ALWAYS adhere to the notes and act professionally, even during PrimeDay, Black Friday and Christmas seasons. Then I have drivers that NEVER adhere to the notes and act unprofessionally during slower times.

Spare us this entitled crap about them being lazy, and sign up to be a package handler or driver for even one day and report back to us on the conditions before denigrating these ridiculously overworked people.

Spare me your bleeding heart justifications for unprofessional behavior. I don't ask for a lot, what I do ask for is that one acts professionally and don't throw my packages.

Reactions: compwiz1202

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
Despite my criticisms of Fedex, I have never had an issue with the delivery "quality" - no wrecked or mishandled packages, from either UPS or Fedex. And the UPS guy leaves a Milkbone biscuit for my dog.
The same for me. All the Apple products I buy (computers, iPhones, iPads) are delivered on time by FedEx. Other products are derived by UPS with no issues I can tell of.

It is very possible that some of the employees are at fault, and this reflates on the company. For example, my wife mailed a gift card via USPS Priority, but somewhere at the destination point the gift card disappeared. There is nothing that can be done now, even if the delivered envelope was insured, since it arrived at the destination point. More than likely the envelope was unsealed and then resealed along the way, so both the store's receipt and card never got there :)

Macky-Mac

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2004
Amazon was to deliver an item today and this morning there was an email saying it was out for delivery! Tracking showed it was on the truck and on the way from the local distribution center.

Mid afternoon I went to track the delivery and discovered that tracking was now saying it would be delivered TOMORROW and checking on further details indicated the carrier had only just picked it up today.

Yeah a bit of a mix up there and this happens from time to time.

I wonder if it will actually show up tomorrow

Canyda

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 7, 2020
So, a weird delivery story from yesterday that's not FedEx, but this is my thread, so...

I ordered a sample pack of coffee from a local roaster that's doing a subscription service. I didn't want a monthly box, but they also allow single purchase sample boxes, so I got that.

The courier calls me yesterday at 3 pm saying he needs access to the building. I tell him I'm at work and I can't buzz him in because the call box is connected to my wife's cell, and she's also at work. So after talking over options, I ask whether there's a pickup spot I can get it at, and he says, no, if he can't drop it off, it goes back to the roaster. In the end, he managed to get into the building via another courier, and left the box at my condo apartment door, so all good. But I thought it was weird that the options for delivery are basically, "Be at home when the delivery guy comes or you're SOL."

Then I wake up this morning to an email from the roaster saying, "Your order is ready to be shipped!"

Yeah, no kidding.

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
So, a weird delivery story from yesterday that's not FedEx, but this is my thread, so...

I ordered a sample pack of coffee from a local roaster that's doing a subscription service. I didn't want a monthly box, but they also allow single purchase sample boxes, so I got that.

The courier calls me yesterday at 3 pm saying he needs access to the building. I tell him I'm at work and I can't buzz him in because the call box is connected to my wife's cell, and she's also at work. So after talking over options, I ask whether there's a pickup spot I can get it at, and he says, no, if he can't drop it off, it goes back to the roaster. In the end, he managed to get into the building via another courier, and left the box at my condo apartment door, so all good. But I thought it was weird that the options for delivery are basically, "Be at home when the delivery guy comes or you're SOL."

Then I wake up this morning to an email from the roaster saying, "Your order is ready to be shipped!"

Yeah, no kidding.
Want to know about something "real weird?" A few years ago UPS left at my door step brown envelope containing a check for the sum of a few $k's (25-year retirement "roll-over IRA" funds from Fidelity). I was shocked, but still ran to the bank smiling :)

Last edited:

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010
Why take the picture then... doh!

We have had a couple packages that were shown as delivered, only to be delivered a few days later. Strange. I wonder if they were trying to stay on the one or two day delivery promise and well missed it by "that" much...
The funny one I've heard a few times lately with FedEx is they will take the pic, and then the customer will say, "That's not my house"

• Wow
Reactions: rhett7660

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010

Yeah, no kidding.
That's QVC for us. We have the package for a day and we get the shipped email.

AJK13K

macrumors regular
Feb 8, 2020
Dutchess County, NY
So, a while ago on this thread (https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/weird-airtags-shipping-experience.2351202/) I detailed how FedEx lost my AirTags for a week.

Last week I ordered the big Belkin braided iPhone charging cord to use in my office from Apple Canada's website because there weren't any in stock at my local Apple store. Of course, it shipped FedEx and was to be delivered on Wednesday.

On Tuesday, I notice on my tracking that it's "out for delivery" but it doesn't show up at our door nor do I get any notifications of any kind about it being delivered. It's just "out for delivery" all night.

Wednesday morning, going through my condo complex, I notice that there's a "Missed Delivery" tag on the bulletin board inside our secured doors next to our mailboxes that's for my package! It says that they tried to deliver at 5:32 pm on Tuesday. WE WERE HOME!

So FedEx got into my building (somehow, without buzzing our condo), but didn't even try to go to my door and knock. Instead, they pinned the Missed Delivery tag and left.

Wait. It gets better.

So my Missed Delivery slip says I have to go to Staples on Thursday after 10 am to pick up the package.

I head down after work.

Pick up the package and walk out.

Get to my car and realize - the package has been partially opened. And my charging cord has been stolen.

Sigh.

So I call Apple and get it replaced, and then call FedEx and give them a piece of my mind.

I suppose shame on me for trusting FedEx again. Next time I need something from Apple that's not in stock, I'll go for in-store pickup instead of delivery.
Ditto I had almost the same situation. Lying about delivery attempts. ‘Out for delivery’ on several days when it wasn’t but they finally did deliver my package.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.