Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nrvous1

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2019
San Antonio, TX
I always wonder how many people report their new phones ‘stolen’ just so they’ll get another replacement for free. I’d bet it does happen.
Unless sold to some unsuspecting buyer, it wouldn’t matter if the person reporting their phone stolen got 2 of the same device since the IMEI of the stolen phone gets blacklisted. You’d have a free useless phone only to be sold for spare parts. ??‍♂️

rafrod28

macrumors newbie
Apr 12, 2022
Miami
I ordered the 13 Pro Max in sierra blue at the very end of September and mine was stolen by fed ex themselves. Shipped Friday night (10/15) then it had a "delay beyond their control", meaning it would take an extra day and not be overnight, it then made it all the way to a sort facility Saturday (10/16) morning that is only an hour from me and then was never to be seen again. Contacted Fedex multiple times and for FOUR days they gave me the runaround saying "oh I'm sure it'll be there tomorrow" "it appears there are weather delays" (it wasn't even raining). Finally reached a lady who apparently does package tracing and she informed me that my package was lost. When I informed her of the contents and asked if she thinks it was stolen, she said most likely yes. She ended that crappy phone call with "thank you for choosing fedex" and I couldn't hold my tongue because at that point I was beyond furious and I replied "I didn't ****ing choose fedex". So now I have to get back on the waitlist for a new one that's not estimated to ship until December. I'm furious to say the least. Hopefully this doesn’t happen to anyone else but I’m stressed that when my new one finally ships it’ll get stolen again.
That just happened to back in January with an iPhone 12 Mini, still fighting with Fedex given that all of a sudden they are giving me the runaround and no one knows anything. I've wasted a lot of time over the phone with Fedex claim department. Customer service and claim department are turning quiet nasty and you can tell they just dont care too much.

HalfFullmoon

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2021
That just happened to back in January with an iPhone 12 Mini, still fighting with Fedex given that all of a sudden they are giving me the runaround and no one knows anything. I've wasted a lot of time over the phone with Fedex claim department. Customer service and claim department are turning quiet nasty and you can tell they just dont care too much.
Why are you fighting with FedEx? Just dispute the charge.

Reactions: AppleWes

rafrod28

macrumors newbie
Apr 12, 2022
Miami
Why are you fighting with FedEx? Just dispute the charge.
I've been disputing the charge since February with Apple, and a open claim with Fedex since mid Feb. They're both giving me the runaround. Im getting more results with NMPD (North Miami Police Department) They are investigating on the case.

HalfFullmoon

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2021
I've been disputing the charge since February with Apple, and a open claim with Fedex since mid Feb. They're both giving me the runaround. Im getting more results with NMPD (North Miami Police Department) They are investigating on the case.
You have to dispute it with your credit card.

Diablo360

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2009
Wouldn’t they require signature confirmation for a purchase this expensive? It seems like a clear cut case for your credit card company

Intdavidha

macrumors newbie
Dec 23, 2022
Here is another story to add to the list. We were expecting an iPhone 14 ProMax this week. They attempted delivery twice even though I had requested they keep it at the depot after the first attempt. On the third day, we went to pick it up. It was for my wife’s birthday and when she opened the box, there was a rock wrapped in Fedex tape and stickers to stop it from sliding around.
Apple was great and they have expedited the delivery of another one which should arrive today.
What is amazing to me is that neither FedEx nor Apple have set up clear protocols to track their shipments (Fedex) or serial #’s (Apple) to save themselves this expense (which gets passed on to the consumer in the end).

AppleWes

macrumors 6502a
Oct 9, 2013
What is amazing to me is that neither FedEx nor Apple have set up clear protocols to track their shipments (Fedex) or serial #’s (Apple) to save themselves this expense (which gets passed on to the consumer in the end).
It could be an overall cost issue. Might actually work out cheaper for Apple to replace missing shipments (and claim with FedEx insuance) rather than more detailed tracking methods besides barcode scanning. They'd almost have to have security guard on every single FedEx truck to totally prevent theft.

....as others have said though, the device is blacklisted. Similar to 'smash and grab' Apple Store theft.

RRC

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2020
It will likely get delivered once they realise it’s not a 14 Pro… /s

hewjr100

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2022
United States
I ordered the 13 Pro Max in sierra blue at the very end of September and mine was stolen by fed ex themselves. Shipped Friday night (10/15) then it had a "delay beyond their control", meaning it would take an extra day and not be overnight, it then made it all the way to a sort facility Saturday (10/16) morning that is only an hour from me and then was never to be seen again. Contacted Fedex multiple times and for FOUR days they gave me the runaround saying "oh I'm sure it'll be there tomorrow" "it appears there are weather delays" (it wasn't even raining). Finally reached a lady who apparently does package tracing and she informed me that my package was lost. When I informed her of the contents and asked if she thinks it was stolen, she said most likely yes. She ended that crappy phone call with "thank you for choosing fedex" and I couldn't hold my tongue because at that point I was beyond furious and I replied "I didn't ****ing choose fedex". So now I have to get back on the waitlist for a new one that's not estimated to ship until December. I'm furious to say the least. Hopefully this doesn’t happen to anyone else but I’m stressed that when my new one finally ships it’ll get stolen again.
I am so sorry this happened to you. To be absolutely honest with you I have never trusted any service to deliver anything over one hundred dollars. I had an Amazon package that was stolen off my front porch, but it was not expensive and Amazon replaced it. If possible in the the future when buying a high dollar item go person. Best of luck getting a replacement.

usmaak

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2012
I have had two items “fall off the back” of Fedex trucks, including a very expensive phone. And half the time Fedex does deliver, it is to the wrong house. When I find out something is coming Fedex or DHL, I hold my breath and wait to see if it will actually arrive.

StaceyMJ86

macrumors demi-goddess
Sep 22, 2015
Washington, DC
For the last few years, I’ve had my phone and watches held at the UPS hub and picked them up first thing in the morning. I’ve never had issues with my purchases “disappearing” until UPS lost my Apple Watch Ultra at the hub. Luckily, I ordered another one at Apple which I picked up and used. I had T-Mobile list the one I purchased through them as stolen. The next day UPS called me and said they found it. I kept the Apple one and had UPS send the T-Mobile one back.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.