Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

drugdoubles

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 3, 2023
Seriously, you guys spent so much money for M2 Mac Pro, only not even full half year yet then Apple ships M3. Doesn’t make too much sense for me since you guys suppose to be the VIP that you have bought their most expensive product.

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
I think this is expected since day 1. And that's why people complain a non upgradable Apple Silicon Mac Pro doesn't make any sense. Especially with that Mac Pro price tag.

Reactions: Nermal

drugdoubles

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 3, 2023
Despite having fewer cores, with 16 CPU cores and 40 GPU cores, the M3 Max has surpassed the multi-core performance of the M2 Ultra chip. Early scores from Geekbench 6 show the M3 Max reaching over 21,000, a leap ahead of the M2 Ultra's score of around 20,000.

Doesn’t make any sense for me that someone can just buy a M3 Max laptop now with much cheaper price that is faster than M2 Ultra Mac Pro that was released 5 months ago.

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Despite having fewer cores, with 16 CPU cores and 40 GPU cores, the M3 Max has surpassed the multi-core performance of the M2 Ultra chip. Early scores from Geekbench 6 show the M3 Max reaching over 21,000, a leap ahead of the M2 Ultra's score of around 20,000.

Doesn’t make any sense for me that someone can just buy a M3 Max laptop now with much cheaper price that is faster than M2 Ultra Mac Pro that was released 5 months ago.
Oh, isn't it? I haven't check the benchmarks results. I though the M3 Max will be "very close" to the M2 Ultra, But I don't know the M3 Max actually faster than the M2 Ultra in multi core benchmarks.

Do you know if that's cherry picking result. Or if that's generally correct?

If it's the case, then it's function.

10 years ago, the Mac Pro 2013 was destroyed by the Macbook only in H264 encoding performance (due to lack of Intel QuickSync and Apple insist not to provide any support the utilise the D700's AMD VCE).

But now, Mac Pro 2023 is destroyed by a Macbook in all area 😂

• Haha
Reactions: prefuse07

drugdoubles

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 3, 2023
Oh, isn't it? I haven't check the benchmarks results. I though the M3 Max will be "very close" to the M2 Ultra, But I don't know the M3 Max actually faster than the M2 Ultra in multi core benchmarks.

Do you know if that's cherry picking result. Or if that's generally correct?

If it's the case, then it's function.

10 years ago, the Mac Pro 2013 was destroyed by the Macbook only in H264 encoding performance (due to lack of Intel QuickSync and Apple insist not to provide any support the utilise the D700's AMD VCE).

But now, Mac Pro 2023 is destroyed by a Macbook in all area 😂

Destroy by future MacBook is not surprised, the problem is it is Mac Pro June 2023 destroyed by MacBook 2023 LOL

AlexMaximus

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2006
A400M Base
I really admire those of you, where the difference of CPU/GPU speed makes a significant difference in your day-to-day professional work flow. If you are in this bracket, kudos to you. Because I am absolutely NOT.

For me, CPU & GPU speed very seldom has any impact on my business. For me, its about to be out there on customers, networking the hell out of it, standing on that exhibition floor or sitting in on technical seminars and luncheons to get customers interested in my service and exchanging contacts for future projects to follow up on. I wish I could tell you, - "Yap, the processor speed of those chips moves the world for me." - It just doesn't, sorry. It really shows, how unprofessional and old school I must be.
For me its still how to get into the customers faces and a subsequent service product. Processing CPU speed is just NOT my main concern and makes next to no difference. My humble respect as an alien creature that looks clueless on the discussion between ants, raging about the speed difference between M2 and M3 as it would be the most serious concern and mission critical. I just figured, I must be an ancient alien that's somehow survived mysteriously and should not exist in the first place. I wonder how I did survive with my MacBook Pro 17 from 2010.... Humble Alien greetings from Alpha Century from an ancient, long forgotten universe, where somehow the human contact still is NO.1

Now back to the main topic: M3 is really a tad faster. Damn... who would have though...

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
I really admire those of you, where the difference of CPU/GPU speed makes a significant difference in your day-to-day professional work flow. If you are in this bracket, kudos to you. Because I am absolutely NOT.
Definitely not for me. That's why I am still using the 5,1.

Anyway, it's finally to a point that the M3's single thread performance is higher than my W3690's multi thread performance. Very impressive. But do I need that? No.

I may need to buy a computer later for traveling, if that happen, most likely I will simply buy a refurbished M1 Macbook Air. That should be more than good enough for me already.

drugdoubles

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 3, 2023

For me, CPU & GPU speed very seldom has any impact on my business. For me, its about to be out there on customers, networking the hell out of it, standing on that exhibition floor or sitting in on technical seminars and luncheons to get customers interested in my service and exchanging contacts for future projects to follow up on. I wish I could tell you, - "Yap, the processor speed of those chips moves the world for me." - It just doesn't, sorry. It really shows, how unprofessional and old school I must be.
For me its still how to get into the customers faces and a subsequent service product. Processing CPU speed is just NOT my main concern and makes next to no difference. My humble respect as an alien creature that looks clueless on the discussion between ants, raging about the speed difference between M2 and M3 as it would be the most serious concern and mission critical. I just figured, I must be an ancient alien that's somehow survived mysteriously and should not exist in the first place. I wonder how I did survive with my MacBook Pro 17 from 2010.... Humble Alien greetings from Alpha Century from an ancient, long forgotten universe, where somehow the human contact still is NO.1

Now back to the main topic: M3 is really a tad faster. Damn... who would have though...

If speed does not matter, just use cheapest Mac mini then.

mattspace

macrumors 68040
Jun 5, 2013
Australia
Seriously, you guys spent so much money for M2 Mac Pro, only not even full half year yet then Apple ships M3. Doesn’t make too much sense for me since you guys suppose to be the VIP that you have bought their most expensive product.

Are there any AS Mac Pro users on this forum?

There's barely a handful of us with 2019 machins, and those that bought them new were the "vip customers" then. Apple won't even give us new drivers for graphics cards.

The M2 Ultra still has an adantage in display support when compared to the M3, and that's been the way of things for Mac Pros for ever - it used to be that everyone was crowing about how irrelevant the Mac Pro was because iMacs could do some things faster. It's the same story.

PowerMike G5

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2005
New York, NY
I guess when it just comes to raw speed and power, it's becoming harder to justify the costs at the high end now because the cadence that Apple is starting to showcase us with their silicon updates. We may have to get used to them doing yearly cycles where they come out with processors that eclipse their high-end very quickly.

goMac

Contributor
Apr 15, 2004
I think this is expected since day 1. And that's why people complain a non upgradable Apple Silicon Mac Pro doesn't make any sense. Especially with that Mac Pro price tag.

You also now have hardware ray tracing on M3. The cost for losing upgradable GPUs isn't just performance - you also are locked out of new GPU features entirely on your existing hardware. In previous years Mac Pro owners would have just bought new GPUs, and they'd have the new render features.

SnooChickens6278

macrumors member
Aug 6, 2022
The question about cpu/gpu cores doesn’t begin to address the elephant in the room which is that apple ****ed over all their customers who bought the m2 pro MacBook by releasing an upgraded model in the same year. That should piss everyone off and it’s a testament that big corporations are selfish and will serve their own needs and don’t give a crap about their customers feelings. I dont care how long ago I purchased the m2 mb pro (which I didn’t), I’d be on the phone with them yelling for them to give me a refund and I’d be sending an email to Tim Cook. Seriously, stop arguing with yourself about ****in cpu cores. You are missing the point and need to be pissed off at apple. So pick up the phone and do whatever it takes. Rant on their twitter. Believe me they’ll listen. If they can do this to their customers for the mb pro which is insanely expensive then they can do it for ANY of their products if it serves their needs. They don’t give a **** about screwing you over.

It’s really not a question of technical specifications. You thought you were buying the newest MacBook and several months later they went behind all their m2 mb pro’s customers backs and released an upgrade within the same year. Imagine u thought u were buying a new truck and u had the latest and greatest and 6 months later they release a better version. That’s what ppl SHOULD be discussing here. U should do an apple trade in and pick up the phone ****ing demand they give you an 80-100% trade in value for your m2 mb pro. Seriously don’t let them get away with this. Everyone is talking about the new m3 mb pro but no one is talking about the fact apple just ****ed their customers. This is worrisome going forward into the future bc if they did it once they can do it again. Their morale has gone down with me seriously. I’d love to buy a new iPad or m3 iMac for example, but now I’m on the edge of a knife cuz what if they release an upgrade within the same year? I’d be PISSED. Their integrity has seriously fallen and they’ve jeopardized customer trust

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: iLuddite

ZombiePhysicist

macrumors 68030
May 22, 2014
So far I've only seen one 2023 Mac Pro user on this forum. I think most pro/enthusiast users have left the platform. The 2023 Mac Pro probably has driven the last away.

A few of us wait holding our breath that the M3 Mac Pro (hopefully extreme) won't suck as much, but my hopes are fast fading. This machine looks to fade away with a whimper and self fulfilling prophecy "that no one needs a machine like this [(silent part)...because we gimped it and made it a pile of unusable poop to true pros and enthusiasts hoping we make the think different crowd go away forever so we can concentrate on the unwashed hordes of iPhone money we make]"

goMac

Contributor
Apr 15, 2004
The question about cpu/gpu cores doesn’t begin to address the elephant in the room which is that apple ****ed over all their customers who bought the m2 pro MacBook by releasing an upgraded model in the same year.

I care less about this. If you look back historically - Apple used to release upgrade Macs every six months. That slowed during the Intel years. But I'm old enough to remember the early 2009 MacBook Pro and the mid 2009 MacBook Pro. Two different models with some serious tweaks, same year. PowerPC era was reliably six months-ish per Mac model.

Pakaku

macrumors 68040
Aug 29, 2009
There will always be something better around the corner, and the current up-to-date stuff is likely just fine

drugdoubles

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 3, 2023
There will always be something better around the corner, and the current up-to-date stuff is likely just fine

You mean you pay like 10000 USD for a computer then 5 months later a much cheaper notebook is faster than it with newer model is “just fine”? 5 months, not 5 years.

dotzero123

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2018
Philadelphia Suburbs
Technology advances… so what. The M1, M2 and M3 are excellent machines that hold resale much better than their windows counterparts. If you’re unhappy, sell your M2 and buy an M3 or whatever floats your boat. You will always have a limited amount of time with “the best” technology. If the machine didn’t work, or if the company failed to innovate, there would be a legitimate gripe.

Pakaku

macrumors 68040
Aug 29, 2009
You mean you pay like 10000 USD for a computer then 5 months later a much cheaper notebook is faster than it with newer model is “just fine”? 5 months, not 5 years.
And is your machine suddenly obsolete and can't do what you bought it for just because a new computer dropped? Highly highly unlikely. Maybe if you're that worried, you should reconsider why you're spending $10K on a computer.

drugdoubles

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 3, 2023
And is your machine suddenly obsolete and can't do what you bought it for just because a new computer dropped? Highly highly unlikely

99% spent so much money for Mac Pro mainly because it was the fastest Mac, and 99% of these buyers would not buy for sure if you told them 5 months later what they bought becomes a old generation, even Non Ultra is faster than it.

Pakaku

macrumors 68040
Aug 29, 2009
99% spent so much money for Mac Pro mainly because it was the fastest Mac, and 99% of these buyers would not buy for sure if you told them 5 months later what they bought becomes a old generation, even Non Ultra is faster than it.
So is this a case where you actually need the fastest Mac available, or is this more just for personal satisfaction.

jimmy_john

macrumors member
Jun 28, 2023

Awfully tough to put PCIe cards inside of a MacBook.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.