Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

herbert7265

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2023
Mexico
Does a new model make your actual model less valuable and capable for you? Not for me!
There will always be something "newer and better". If you always compare what you have to what you could have you will never be satisfied and happy.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
99% spent so much money for Mac Pro mainly because it was the fastest Mac, and 99% of these buyers would not buy for sure if you told them 5 months later what they bought becomes a old generation, even Non Ultra is faster than it.
I assume that most users spending 10 grand on a Mac Pro have a specific use case in mind for it and not because "it's the fastest Mac," like they're trying to win a contest or something. I'd also wager that the great majority of Mac Pros are written off as business expenses/amortized and used to actually make money for the buyers.

Reactions: conmee

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
You also now have hardware ray tracing on M3. The cost for losing upgradable GPUs isn't just performance - you also are locked out of new GPU features entirely on your existing hardware. In previous years Mac Pro owners would have just bought new GPUs, and they'd have the new render features.
And AV1 HWAccel.

conmee

macrumors regular
Mar 4, 2019
Reno, NV
This wouldn't be an issue if they had a true workstation solution/SoC instead of just scaling power efficient mobile tech. There will likely always be an overlapping period of time when the Mac Pro is outperformed by a newer Pro/Max notebook. The only way to avoid this (other than changing up release dates/cycles) is if they ever manage to develop a workstation-class solution or an Extreme SoC only to be used in the Mac Pro that will always outperform N+1 Pro/Max offerings. But I think the Mac Pro won't be around much longer (+/- 2yrs) unless Apple does something radically different. High price, low volume, no GPU options, lack of expandability or upgradeability... I may be wrong but I don't think there are many pros remaining (maybe jimmy_john has a different perspective) that will still pay top dollar for that kind of abuse/neglect.

Reactions: ZombiePhysicist

Mac3Duser

macrumors regular
Aug 26, 2021
That's why I think it should be better to have the M3 Max for laptops and M3 ultra for mac studio...
and to keep Xeons/nvidias for Mac Pro workstations.

Reactions: ZombiePhysicist

MacPoulet

macrumors 6502a
Dec 11, 2012
Canada
When I bought the first B&W PowerMac G3 (top of the line 400Mhz) it was quickly replaced by a faster model a few months later. And then less than a year after that, Apple released the PowerMac G4. Within my first year of ownership Apple had released two new models.

How much cheaper is a fully kitted M3 Max MacBook? It must be approaching MacPro territory.

cthompson94

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2022
SoCal
I don't feel bad or anything, I am one of those who purchased a M2 Pro this year, I also knew that a M3 was probably coming later, but I bought for my present day needs. I even had a M1 base prior to my M2 Pro purchase, but I wanted/needed the SD card reader and the more ports than my M1 especially with having the magsafe charger to charge instead of taking a USB-C port.

Even the Youtubers which are normally known (especially big ones) for upgrading every year and seeming like pushing the next gen product, a lot of them are saying M3 is nice and a upgrade, but many of them are saying they are sticking with their M1 or M2s because outside of a spec bump not much difference with the majority unless the things like ray tracing is really big for you.

TobiasT

macrumors member
Jan 24, 2019
The Mac Pro situation is a shame. In fact it is a joke. Some people claim that the Mac Pro 7.1 has retained full value since the release on 2019. In the real world, a Mac Pro 7.1 is at half the price and going down fast. I guess those people are the perfect target for an outdated M2 with severely limited upgrade capabilities (no CPU, no GPU, no RAM).

Mac3Duser

macrumors regular
Aug 26, 2021
I think people who spend over $6,000 for their workstation know exactly the setup they need for their work.

traderdude123

macrumors member
May 12, 2023
Seriously, you guys spent so much money for M2 Mac Pro, only not even full half year yet then Apple ships M3. Doesn’t make too much sense for me since you guys suppose to be the VIP that you have bought their most expensive product.
This is not an issue at all.
If anyone NEEDS an upgrade there will be plenty of options next year and the year after that.

There is no requirement in any company or for any personal need that one always needs to have the the TOTL at any given moment.

If anything, there are plenty of other issues/concerns that needs addressing like the bugs in current sonoma. Basic things like bluetooth , wifi and networked drives are not stable in 2023.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.