Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Truly no interesting discussion here, just a curiosity - unless someone can translate what this says? I've unboxed a good number of iPhones now and never seen this!

https://imgur.com/a/fx2Oq

That unit is meant for sale in the Chinese Market.

The sticker is the equivalent of a Chinese FCC regulatory label with a validation code.

Nothing suspicious about it. I’m guessing you bought it from a third party? A number of scalpers loaded up on iPhone 8 but the market demand was lower than expected in China. Those scalpers are off loading them before prices tank further.

One benefit of the Chinese model is they all use Qualcomm modems. No modem lottery like in the U.S.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5pctoff

Costino1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 1, 2012
The lighting is making everything look pink. But it does seem off. Even the Apple logo on the phone doesn’t seem as ‘crisp.’ Weird. Hope you bought it from Apple or a carrier and not Joeblow off the street corner out of his trench coat.

MacGurl111

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2010
Seattle
Why does it look like there’s a wrap around the phone, but it’s not a clear wrap? Hm.. I’ve own Apple phones for over 8 years and have never seen such sticker.

James.K.Polk

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 31, 2015
Where specifically did you purchase the iPhone from? If you had any legitimacy concerns, you could bring it to Apple and allow them To look at it.

Whoa whoa - so this could be actually a big deal? We assumed some accident from manufacturing. We bought from an AT&T (corporate, not third-party) store. Should we take it back?
[doublepost=1510574275][/doublepost]
That unit is meant for sale in the Chinese Market.

The sticker is the equivalent of a Chinese FCC regulatory label with a validation code.

Nothing suspicious about it. I’m guessing you bought it from a third party? A number of scalpers loaded up on iPhone 8 but the market demand was lower than expected in China. Those scalpers are off loading them before prices tank further.

One benefit of the Chinese model is they all use Qualcomm modems. No modem lottery like in the U.S.

Just replied elsewhere, but bought from AT&T Wilson Yards here in Chicago. Do you think I should take it back in?

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
Whoa whoa - so this could be actually a big deal? We assumed some accident from manufacturing. We bought from an AT&T (corporate, not third-party) store. Should we take it back?
[doublepost=1510574275][/doublepost]

Just replied elsewhere, but bought from AT&T Wilson Yards here in Chicago. Do you think I should take it back in?
That's interesting because according to this site, A1863 (assuming the sticker corresponds to the phone model) is a Verizon (i.e. CDMA), not AT&T, model...

James.K.Polk

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 31, 2015
That's interesting because according to this site, A1863 (assuming the sticker corresponds to the phone model) is a Verizon (i.e. CDMA), not AT&T, model...

I just checked in settings, and the iPhone identifies itself as MQ6X2LL/A and/or A1905.

The iPhone, as far as I can possibly tell, is legitimate - I've used every iPhone since 4 and thus sure seems fine. Is there any reason we'd want to take it back for this?
[doublepost=1510574847][/doublepost]
Nor is the box supposed to be pink......

Fortunately, that's just the weird lighting - it's the same gold/cream as the phone.
[doublepost=1510575698][/doublepost]
The lighting is making everything look pink. But it does seem off. Even the Apple logo on the phone doesn’t seem as ‘crisp.’ Weird. Hope you bought it from Apple or a carrier and not Joeblow off the street corner out of his trench coat.

The 'crispness' is just the (clear) sticker. Phone itself looks flawless and identical (besides color) to my 8+. But now I'm having pause...

laptech

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2013
Earth
The state of the plastic wrapping on the back indicates it is a 'used' phone. Did you purchase a 'brand new' phone or a reduced price 'refurbished' phone?.

If brand new then take it back because it clearly is not brand new.

James.K.Polk

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 31, 2015
The state of the plastic wrapping on the back indicates it is a 'used' phone. Did you purchase a 'brand new' phone or a reduced price 'refurbished' phone?.

If brand new then take it back because it clearly is not brand new.

As I added earlier, it was purchased brand new, full price (well, on installment) from AT&T. Happy to take it back. The box was wrapped correctly and the phone itself sure looked new but... I'm happy to go complain to them.

James.K.Polk

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 31, 2015
This is either used or a fake.

I can't imagine it's fake, unless there are some immensely advanced fakes out there... either way, I can take it back and see what happens. Had such a terrible experience at this AT&T Store, I hate to go back.

laptech

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2013
Earth
This is either used or a fake.

Or it could have a fault on it the OP is not aware of yet, hence the appearance of the backing sheet being removed from a brand new phone and placed on this one. It's clear the bubbling in the backing sheet proves the phone has been tampered with. Personally i wouldn't accept it and demand a replacement.

Reactions: James.K.Polk

James.K.Polk

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 31, 2015
Or it could have a fault on it the OP is not aware of yet, hence the appearance of the backing sheet being removed from a brand new phone and placed on this one. It's clear the bubbling in the backing sheet proves the phone has been tampered with. Personally i wouldn't accept it and demand a replacement.

I'll head in today. To my eyes (and they're picky eyes!) it's perfect, but you're right - don't want anything popping up down the road. I'll talk to the SO and see what she wants to do.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.