Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

James.K.Polk

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 31, 2015
keep us updated

I will! I called AT&T and they said they'd exchange it, but it's at work with her so I haven't done it. I also wonder if what they say on the phone and in person are different. And if they even try to charge a fee...ugh.

Maybe I'll use this thread for evidence.

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
Should be easy to see if it’s fake. I’ve yet to see a fake run iOS. Fakes run android with an iOS skin. If you open the app store it won’t open to Apples store it will go to Google. Plus no iMessage. If your phone has these, it’s real

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Whoa whoa - so this could be actually a big deal? We assumed some accident from manufacturing. We bought from an AT&T (corporate, not third-party) store. Should we take it back?
[doublepost=1510574275][/doublepost]

Just replied elsewhere, but bought from AT&T Wilson Yards here in Chicago. Do you think I should take it back in?

If the box serial number matches the device serial number, I would not bother.

The Chinese FCC certification label may be been placed by accident. Some people here are just freaking out for no good reason.

laptech

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2013
Earth
It does not matter one bit about the serial number or of it being fake. The rear plastic cover has been removed and replaced, hence the bubbling you see in the image. This is a clear sign that the iphone has been tampered with and is not 'brand new' as is being claimed to be by the store. Hence the reason to take it back to the store for an immediate replacement.

James.K.Polk

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 31, 2015
Have you checked the serial number on Apple’s website?

Yes, all corresponds correctly.
[doublepost=1510608586][/doublepost]
It does not matter one bit about the serial number or of it being fake. The rear plastic cover has been removed and replaced, hence the bubbling you see in the image. This is a clear sign that the iphone has been tampered with and is not 'brand new' as is being claimed to be by the store. Hence the reason to take it back to the store for an immediate replacement.

This is what I'm worried about, exactly. On the phone, they claim to be able to exchange it.

laptech

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2013
Earth
Replaced! Wasn't as smooth as was indicated to me (they thought the serial numbers were different, and they needed some additional documentation) but they handled it very nicely and the new phone looks perfect!

That's great! A happy ending!

Also a happy Fiance. He would have been in the dog house if something went wrong with the phone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.