Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vertsix

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 12, 2015
Texas
le iPhone backup to computer, it fluctuates from 20MBps to 215MBps so round 160Mbps to 1.72Gbps, I have iPhone 15 Pro with an Apple Thunderbolt 3 cable, running MacOS Ventura 13.4 on a Macbook Pro 16 inch 2019.

edit: specify what computer I'm using
Thanks for this - useful data point. As I initially expected, this is not optimized for Windows.

yamatokoushi

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2023
Thanks for this - useful data point. As I initially expected, this is not optimized for Windows.
given that backing up an iPhone using windows must go through iTunes that hasn't been updated in 3 years (Apple download page), yeah..... probably not efficient

vinegarshots

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2018
given that backing up an iPhone using windows must go through iTunes that hasn't been updated in 3 years (Apple download page), yeah..... probably not efficient
Not true, actually. There are both Apple Music and Apple Devices apps on the Microsoft store

adam1080

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2012
I only have limited experience, but here is what I saw and my situation.

2023 16" MBP M2 Max. Transferring DSD audio albums(maybe 1-2GB per song) via the iTunes/Finder transfer drag and drop into a music app.

Speeds have been different with different cables... I used a new 6 ft Thunderbolt 4 cable and maxed out around 65 MB/s

Using an old 1.5 ft Thunderbolt 3 cable and average was about 78 MB/s and maxing at about 106 MB/s
🤷‍♂️

1695917756727.png

Reactions: Macalicious2011

FlintD

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2023
Toronto, Canada
I only have limited experience, but here is what I saw and my situation.

2023 16" MBP M2 Max. Transferring DSD audio albums(maybe 1-2GB per song) via the iTunes/Finder transfer drag and drop into a music app.

Speeds have been different with different cables... I used a new 6 ft Thunderbolt 4 cable and maxed out around 65 MB/s

Using an old 1.5 ft Thunderbolt 3 cable and average was about 78 MB/s and maxing at about 106 MB/s
🤷‍♂️

View attachment 2283753

Have you updated to Sonoma? I found my speed improved 5x. Unfortunately not 20x

vinegarshots

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2018

Kejserensnyeklæder

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2023
Hey i am also getting USB2 speeds when using MacBook pro 2019 with iPhone 15 pro and a cable matters USB4 40 Gbps capable cable when backing up but on Sonoma using finder , any ideas what going on ?

MarcelGuinchard

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2023
I found something interesting:
Same file (10gb), same USB-C 3.2 cable:
- copy from Mac via Finder (Finder → iPhone → Files → add to an app's folder) = 6 minutes
- copy from SSD directly plugged-in on iPhone (via iOS Files app) = 10 seconds
🤔 What am I missing?
(copy from Mac to SSD is also done in ~10sec)

Reactions: Macalicious2011

FlintD

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2023
Toronto, Canada
- copy from Mac via Finder (Finder → iPhone → Files → add to an app's folder) = 6 minutes
🤔 What am I missing?
From my findings

iPhone as a USB host to an SSD: fast transfers
Computer as USB host to the iPhone: slow transfers

MarcelGuinchard

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2023
From my findings

iPhone as a USB host to an SSD: fast transfers
Computer as USB host to the iPhone: slow transfers
I do also have slow transfers when iPhone is Host to a Mac.
Basically, copying the same file from Mac to iPhone is very slow (USB-2), but copying it from SSD to iPhone is very fast (seconds, USB-3).

Same for you guys?

FlintD

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2023
Toronto, Canada
I do also have slow transfers when iPhone is Host to a Mac.
Basically, copying the same file from Mac to iPhone is very slow (USB-2), but copying it from SSD to iPhone is very fast (seconds, USB-3).

Same for you guys?
Getting anything back into the iPhone is slow when performing the copy/backup action from the Mac or PC

Reactions: Ron21

adam1080

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2012
Anyone ever figure this out? I feel like my backup should be going better than 70 MB/s right now plugged in with a TB4 cable.

1696461424043.png

FlintD

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2023
Toronto, Canada
I'm retrying Backing up and Sync with the new update 17.0.3 and no change in speed. Similar results as before.

System: M1 Air
iPhone: 15PM
Cable: Thunderbolt 3 (recognized as 10 Gb/s)

Using Finder

Backup phase
60 MB/s

Sync Phase (photos into iPhone)
200MB/s

Speeds measured with Activity Monitor

I'm hoping those people who said they don't have any issues with their iPhone 15 Pro/Pro Max share their speeds here.

Reactions: Nik

adam1080

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2012
I'm retrying Backing up and Sync with the new update 17.0.3 and no change in speed. Similar results as before.

Using Finder

Backup phase
60 MB/s

200MB/s

I'm hoping those people who said they don't have any issues with their iPhone 15 Pro/Pro Max share their speeds here.

Oh, that sucker must have just come out. Downloading it now.

It is disappointing to say the least that I have the best phone you can buy on Apple.com connected to the best MacBook Pro you can buy right now on Apple.com(minus some RAM and Storage size to be fair. Mine was only $3,900 as opposed to the $6,500 maxed out version) connected with an Apple ThunderBolt 4 cable and the highest speed I have seen yet was maybe 103 MB/s for split second transferring a 4GB DSD file. Average for anything is in the 70s.

I really don't want to upgrade to Sonoma yet... With the apps/programs I use for work, it is just asking for further headaches. I still may go that route if I get bored tonight.

What I am seeing on reddit and random corners of the web is that with SSD drives, the faster speeds are being seen, but to any Mac or PC, the speeds are no were near advertised.

Nik

macrumors 6502a
Jun 3, 2007
France

Using Finder

Backup phase
60 MB/s

200MB/s

It sure is strange that nobody is reporting on the fact that Apple is misleading people, you simply do not get anywhere close to USB 3.0 speeds. This is a class action waiting to happen, most instances only provide USB 2.0 speeds (e.g. backup and transfers through Finder)

Reactions: JamesMcFlyJR

vinegarshots

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2018
It sure is strange that nobody is reporting on the fact that Apple is misleading people, you simply do not get anywhere close to USB 3.0 speeds. This is a class action waiting to happen, most instances only provide USB 2.0 speeds (e.g. backup and transfers through Finder)

Well...that's not entirely true. If you hook up a SSD directly to the iPhone, you get super fast speeds (my USB stick that I'm using is around 500MB/sec). It's the phone-to-computer connection that generally sucks. Of course, Apple didn't specify exactly where/how the high speeds are guaranteed...

adam1080

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2012
I don't know about a class action, but to me this seems like bigger news than over-heating... (at least if that is truly fixed with a software update)

Apple: "Oh, you've spent $6,000 on our latest and greatest devices that claim USB 3 (up to 10Gb/s) on one and USB 4 (up to 40Gb/s) on the other and somehow thought you would get better than 80Mb/s when you connected the 2 together????"

giphy.gif

Reactions: FlintD

Macalicious2011

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2011
London
🤔 What am I missing?

I too have found that:

Transfers between Mac and iPhone: Slow
Transfer between Mac/iPhone and SSD: Fast

Hardware:
15 Pro 256GB
M1 Macbook Pro
Samsung T7 and the included USBC cable

Yesterday I recorded a 43min long video in HVEC totalling 19GB. I connected phone and laptop using the USBC cable for my T7. I pressed sync and did chores around the house whilst waiting but even 15min later it looked like the progress bar was moving super slow like somewhere between USB1 and USB2. I thought that maybe the T7 cable isn't capable of 10GBit/sec.

However that wouldn't make sense as I have used it as an editing drive for my Mac. Furthermore it would be illogical of Samsung to ship an SSD with a cable that can't perform the advertised drive.

After reading all the posts in this thread this morning, I decided to plug the SSD to the phone. To my surprise, the file transferred in like 2min. Then I connected the SSD to the Mac and surprise surprise, the transfer was complete in well under a minute. :cool::D

I hope that Apple will solve this issue so that we can sync using iTunes between iPhone and Mac at full USB3 speeds.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.